Bread, baby. Bread.

Options
Katt1320
Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
So you know it and I know it. Once you even break the surface of basic awareness you realize pretty quicklike that the best way to have non-toxic, natural foods is just "Screw this. I'm making my own!" That's how you get the control back, right?

We've been debating in our home about making our own breads. Tried it? Is it worth it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have a bread machine, but I rarely use it. Even with a bread machine, making bread is a high maintenance project, and I just don't have time for chores like that. But you can make some amazing deliciousness with it. I don't know how much healthier it is than buying the store-bought stuff though.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've bought bread at the store many times before and I've never found any toxic bread. Even now I eat bread every day and I'm still alive. Now, if you want to know which bread is the most filling and has (IMO) the best macro ratio I'd say Joseph's Bakery lavash. It's 100 calories, 8g net carbs, and 10g of protein. It's made with flax so it's rich in omega 3's, too. They also make pita breads but I haven't tried those ones.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I've made bread a few times before. It's fun, a bit of work and it takes a little while to get the recipe where you want it (well for me, I'm no chef).

Good news though. There's nothing wrong with regular bread. It's only toxic if you let it go bad.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    if it weren't for the bread machine, i would NEVER make bread. even WITH it i rarely make bread.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The biggest advantage is the lack of preservatives in home made bread. I believe that's where the chemical nasties are. I have a breadmaker and use it when I can be bothered but I gain a KG when I sniff bread at the moment so it's off the menu for a while but if you can tolerate bread in your diet and are fine with portion control yes home made bread is worth it. Rosemary and sundried tomato ciabatta being my fave.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Good news though. There's nothing wrong with regular bread. It's only toxic if you let it go bad.

Obviously hasn't "even broken the surface of basic awareness".

I like to get fresh bread from La Madeleine or Corner Bakery. I ain't got no time for making my own.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes.

bread should be flour, water and yeast. salt for taste and sometimes oil. nothing else is required.

making your own bread will give you hours of delicious pleasure and you will not wish to eat store-bought again. It is NOT time-consuming - ten minutes to mix and knead the dough is all it takes of active care time. the tricky bit is planning ahead and timing it so it proves properly.

For me, I make a dough in the evening and let it do its first prove, then before bed I mould it into a loaf and put it in the fridge. In the morning I heat up the oven, throw it in and there is just enough time for me to eat fresh bread. Alternatively I do it the other way - make the dough in the morning, let it prove in the fridge, take it out, let it come to room temperature whilst at the gym, then shape and prove, then shove in the oven to cook before bed. It's there for breakfast, all delicious and if your oven goes hot enough, crunchy.

I recommend TheFresh loaf website for ideas and instructions on many breads, although they favour the Peter Reinhart method of kneading - I find that too time consuming (as in have to be in the house) so prefer Richard Bertinet's technique. His 'Dough' and 'Crust' books are excellent.

then go one step further and make a sourdough mother. a sourdough loaf keeps for ages and is beautifully chewy. Sure it takes a few more days to make but what the hell. and it really is easy to make the starter - a bit of flour, a bit of water, time.

I don't favour bread machines. Use them to make a dough by all means, but I find them too dense and a little flavourless.

Making bread is easy, but it's all in the timing.
  • girlinahat
    Options

In the early 1960's they introduced the so-called Chorleywood Process. This was designed to help small industry make bread. The idea was that by pumping the bread full of enzymes you encourage a faster rise. What it actually did was kill all the cottage industry and enable the mass-produced bread market we know today.

Mass-produced bread has a number of preservatives it just doesn't need. Bread is flour, water and yeast (wild or added). A slower rise to the loaf gives more air within the loaf and allows the yeast to grow and eventually use up its resources. It also allows the gluten to stretch to form the shape of a loaf. Pumping the mix full of enzymes unnaturally speeds up the process and will affect both the quality and its digestibility.

home-made or artisan bread really is better for you than the shop-bought stuff. and it tastes better.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    Ezekiel Bread, Best bread for you...

ezekiel.jpg
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I always coveted a bread maker but never bought one. I had one friend who made bread every weekend. Soooo good. But I was afraid it would collect dust.

I don't personally eat any bread anymore, but I buy Rudy's brand for my kids. No HFCS. Or, I buy bakery bread, which generally has basic ingredients. My kids like to make challah, which is braided bread and no machine needed. It takes a few tries to get it right, especially since I live at altitude.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love baking my own bread! Totally worth it. I use alternative flours (oat is my favorite for a traditional style bread), add extra protein, nuts and seeds to make it a more rounded item.

Give it a try! It can be a lot of fun and kneading be a great way to reduce stress at the end of the day.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I used to make bread weekly without a bread machine and it really isn't time consuming if you shut off the TV and work it out kneading instead! I used to love when it first came out of the oven all warm and delicious a pat of butter maybe some jam! Much better than store bought!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i don't eat a lot of bread (just don't like it) but i make one loaf a week for my family from a recipe that requires no kneading. i think the recipe is actually called 'no knead bread'. i make it in an enamel stock pot. it is simple, with less than a half-dozen ingredients. our version includes beer for making it more airy. the taste can easily be changed by adding ingredients as well (like dried apricots).

*edited to take out an extra 'includes'. :)
  • kristanb05
    Options
    Do it!! We don't buy bread, and haven't for almost a year. I have a bread maker and start it up at night before bed, I wake up to fresh bread every 3-4 days. I use this easy, good recipe.

1.5c. all purpose flour
    1.5c. whole wheat flour
    0.5 c. oats
    1.25c. water
    2 TBS. EVOO
    3 TBS. brown sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1.5 tsp. yeast

I tried it with applesauce in place of the EVOO, but it was too chewy. I use the 2 lb. wheat setting with a light crust option.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

In the early 1960's they introduced the so-called Chorleywood Process. This was designed to help small industry make bread. The idea was that by pumping the bread full of enzymes you encourage a faster rise. What it actually did was kill all the cottage industry and enable the mass-produced bread market we know today.

Mass-produced bread has a number of preservatives it just doesn't need. Bread is flour, water and yeast (wild or added). A slower rise to the loaf gives more air within the loaf and allows the yeast to grow and eventually use up its resources. It also allows the gluten to stretch to form the shape of a loaf. Pumping the mix full of enzymes unnaturally speeds up the process and will affect both the quality and its digestibility.

home-made or artisan bread really is better for you than the shop-bought stuff. and it tastes better.

So like I said, not toxic. Thanks.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I am going on a home bread baking course (non-machine) on the 21st April. Pretty exited. Finally I will have my own olive bread and sundried tomato bread and whatnotbread! :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

People often seem to fail to understand the meaning of words.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I use my bread machine (more often when not trying to lsoe weight) and the whole family loves it - there's a "quick loaf" recipe which includes an egg and is ready in an hour. You can also get some great bread mixes (some preservatives but not as many:wink: ). The only issue is the loaves are very tall so slices are big. Sometimes I use it to make bread dough then shape it myself into loaf pans or rolls.

While I'm really watching the calories I buy Vogel bread - its nearly 100 calories a slice (so lower than Warburtons delcious seeded batch) and small but dense slices. However, it has loads of jhelthy additions like linseed, oatmeal etc so one tiny sandwich actually keeps me going from lunchtime to dinner (mostly).
  • girlinahat
    Options

I didn't say it was toxic. Just that there were plenty things wrong with shop-bought bread.

besides which, mouldy bread is pretty important in the antibiotic industry....
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I make bread all the time, and it's delicious. I don't really see it as much of a chore either (I don't have a bread machine). It takes time, but most of the time it takes is when it's proofing, and you don't actually have to do anything during that bit. So worth it IMO (for tastiness, not toxicity reasons.)