Bread, baby. Bread.

Options

Replies

• Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make homemade, non bread machine, bread all the time. Family gets VERY angry when i get lazy! The big thing is finding a 3 hour block in the day! Regular homemade is by far better than bread machine and is not much more difficult! IMHO

I have some good recipes if you want, inbox me I will get pics and send. I have been meaning to get pics anyway as the site has been taken down. breaking-bread with Father Domonic ( I think?) Awesome site that no longer exists. :( Anyway I have a honey oat bread from there that is only about 77 cals. Not bad for bread
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to bake my own bread but now I can find good bread everywhere.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    I bake my own bread when I have a day off to do it. I do not use a machine so I know going it I need about 4 hours to stick around to bake it. I also use my coffee bean grinder to grind up oatmeal and mix that in with the flour. Sure makes the house smell good, and is yummy :) (plus you can cut it pretty thin if you want less bread or cals per slice)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I think there is a reason why every town had a baker before widespread industrialization of food. Making good bread at home is time-consuming and hard to do well.

I am lucky in that I have access to several great bakeries that make tasty wholesome breads.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    We've made almost all our own bread for 15 years now. First with a breadmaker (it takes 3 minutes to load it!), then following the instructions in "Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" (okay, its more than 5 minutes, but most if it is just unattended rise time) and now with a sourdough starter and our kitchenaid mixer. Sourdough has the extra benefit of reducing the glycemic load and gluten content of the final loaf.

Plus: Tasty!

Plus, no funky dough conditioners or mono-di-glycerides
    (http://www.bu.edu/bostonia/winter-spring12/corkey/)
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i have a bread machine too. love it but put it away a long time ago because it takes time that i dont have. SIGH! but the bread was always delicious, i usually made the cracked wheat, you can buy the box of mix at the store by the cake mixes. it's expensive though.........
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love making bread! I don't have a bread machine and I find kneading the dough to be a really good stress reliever! Its really not that hard. I was nervous the first time I made it...but it came out good so now I love it. I also make my own pizza dough when we make pizzas so I can control what goes into it and can roll it out nice and thin.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think there is a reason why every town had a baker before widespread industrialization of food. Making good bread at home is time-consuming and hard to do well.

I am lucky in that I have access to several great bakeries that make tasty wholesome breads.

me too. They make it fresh everyday with natural ingredients.

Also, I don't think the OP or the guy with the long scientic explanation for why store bread is no good, LITERALLY thought store bread was toxic. I think we need to chillax. Processed foods over a period of time aren't the best for your health. I think that is what they meant.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Baking bread is a labor of love. You do it because you love to.

Personally, I think the health benefits are negligible. If that is your only reason for doing it, then you won't be doing it long.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I make my own all the time. Its super easy and tastes great. For 1 day. Then it's good to make croutons or french toast.
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    Learning breadmaking can be kinda hard at first but don't give up! Once you figure it out, its worth it!!!!! If you like to prep ahead, you can make multiple loaves and freeze some so you don't run out.

Also, if you decide not to make your own, I'm sure someone locally makes it, check your farmer's markets and co-ops:)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've used a breadmaker and the oven, and I'll tell you-- the machines cause more trouble than they're worth sometimes. They're EXTREMELY difficult to clean well, the settings can be awkward to figure out, and I've never had a loaf turn out perfectly using one. However, just using a loaf pan in the oven yielded wonderful results. :) Bread is easy peasy to make, you don't need a fancy machine! Just time, exact measuring, and patience.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0

^ may be toxic depending on your misunderstanding of what toxic actually means
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

It was actually more of an issue of it being more efficient to run one centralized specialized oven. A good bread oven is fairly big and takes a lot of fuel, and its wasteful to just do bread for one family for a day or two in it. Some countries tended to not have a central baker, but to have the central oven, and every family prepared their own dough and brought it to bake, so the "baker" only handled the oven part of the process rather than doing all the kneading and rising.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I love the smell of freshly baked bread. However, I don't it eat because I'm gluten free for health reasons.

You all are making me drool!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    add cheese and booze, and i am in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have some sour dough starter in my fridge that I got from a buddy of mine...think I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend...but really, with having to feed the starter regularly, etc...and then about 48 hrs advance notice (feed starter 24 hrs before you need it + put your dough together and let is sit for 24 hrs before you actually bake) it really seems like a royal pain in the *kitten* for something I don't eat on a regular basis.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Baking bread is a labor of love. You do it because you love to.

Personally, I think the health benefits are negligible. If that is your only reason for doing it, then you won't be doing it long.
    ^^^^ Yup!