Carbs are in EVERYTHING good...So frustrating

Options

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

just don't eat 300g of them a day and you'll be fine.

I often eat 400g in a day, is this a problem?

sigh.... hyperbole. learn it.

for specific situations like putting on mass, you may need to eat a lot of carbs. for the MAJORITY of people on MFP who are looking to lose weight, they absolutely SHOULD eat carbs, but in moderation.

yay starting fights for no reason. :)

Yay for stating irrelevant numbers!

Plus, I'm dieting on 400g, in accordance with government guidelines.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

for specific situations like putting on mass, you may need to eat a lot of carbs. for the MAJORITY of people on MFP who are looking to lose weight, they absolutely SHOULD eat carbs, but in moderation.

Yay for stating irrelevant numbers!

Plus, I'm dieting on 400g, in accordance with government guidelines.

welp. that explains that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

It's not hyperbole....it's trying to put something into context - a very different thing.

I was using hyperbole. thanks.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    dyqell.gif
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

It's not hyperbole....it's trying to put something into context - a very different thing.

Excellent, now try a dictionary.

Way to start a fight for no reason.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil. In fact, they are a good source of energy for your body.

Instead of worrying about carbs, why don't you try to meet your protein and fat macros first, and then fill in the rest as you see fit?

This.

Set your calorie limit. Then eat:
    1g of protein per lb of bodyweight
    0.5g of fats per lb of bodyweight
    Rest with carbs

Almond milk + chocolate protein powder = la dolce vita
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I ate nothing but beans, all fruits, and vegetables with a tiny bit of nuts and seeds and lost 90 pounds.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    MFP drinking game: Take a shot every time someone uses the word "macros" on threads like these. Go!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Excellent, now try a dictionary.

Way to start a fight for no reason.

alright. BS aside - what governmental plan are you following that suggests 400g of carbs? that does seem a bit backwards to me if you're looking to lose weight. how's it working so far?
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your personal dietary needs. I have PCOS so refined carbs/sugars are bad for me and to remain at a good energy level and fitness I need to stay at about 100g a day. With that said I do allow myself good carbs such as black beans and ones with good proeteins as well but stay away from pastas , rice , soda , sweets , etc. I limit my fruit intake and eat fresh veggies instead.

If in doubt you could check with your doctor to see what they recommend for your patricular needs. Don't give up :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

No, that was not hyperbole either.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs around 100 most days you can have a look at it if you like. Breakfast is a hard one, I do miss oatmeal. But I've found that having an omelet or protein in general makes me feel more satisfied & I don't end up craving carbs all day.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do better on lower carbs. Not the "extreme" low carbs... I keep it to under 100g/day, but most of my carbs come from fruit and veggies, with very little (if any) whole grains. I'd focus on getting more protein in the morning (eggs instead of oatmeal, maybe?) to provide your body with longer-lasting energy. Carbs are great for quick energy (and I need them in a somewhat steady flow through the day, due to hypoglycemia), but they are just that--quick--and don't provide a whole lot of "through the day" energy. Protein burns slower, so you'll get more "bang for your buck" if you include more protein to balance the carbs. 1 protein to 2 carbs is a good ratio if you're not on a low-carb diet.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    "Carbs are in EVERYTHING good"...

I disagree. Carbs are not in sex or bacon. ;)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "Carbs are in EVERYTHING good"...

I disagree. Carbs are not in sex or bacon. ;)

Hmmm... What is this sex thing people are talking about? How do I make it and is it gluten free?

kthnxbai xxx
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

guess I'm ****ed then...
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    if u r eating healty u shouldnt count your carbs, for women it is not recomended to eat over 80grams of protein and you should also cut on sodium but u need carbs for energy!!! good luck
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    if u r eating healty u shouldnt count your carbs, for women it is not recomended to eat over 80grams of protein and you should also cut on sodium but u need carbs for energy!!! good luck

Please cite sources to this claim re protein.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Please cite sources to this claim re protein.

the RDA is 46g
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

guess I'm ****ed then...

didn't realize you were the OP! must have missed that.