Parents that Feed their Children Vegetarian Diets

Options
foraubs
foraubs Posts: 263 Member
I am currently trying to educate myself further and I feel like going vegetarian is going to be the best course of action for myself.

I am Mama to a 15-month old and while I understand that children and adults have very different nutritional needs, I am curious to see if there is anyone who feeds their child(ren) a vegetarian diet and just exactly how you go about doing so in a very meat-driven world.

Right now, she eats like us: a mostly vegetable-based diet, with some poultry, seafood and minimal red meat in the mix.

Also curious to hear from those who have eliminated cow's milk and how you properly provide for yourself and your child.

I am aware that I should not make any drastic changes to our diets, hers especially, without medical consultation. This discussion isn't to replace that, just to supplement and get some ideas brewing/clarified.

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old neice eats vegetarian and while I question the mental state of her mother she appears to be in good health.. if I felt like it was harmful I would intervene.. I think see your Pediatrician before doing anything just to be safe for your baby
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    get your credit card or paypal account out, go on Amazon and Google Vegan cookbooks for children. or go on Pinterest. he internet has a million resources.

Amanda Baker at the Vegan Society says the real issue isn't whether a child's diet is vegan or not, or restricted or not – the important thing is whether it's healthy. "There are plenty of children who are eating a bad diet, and they're not vegan," she says. "Vegan parents have to plan their child's food carefully. Of course there are pitfalls, but there are pitfalls for all parents and for any diet.

"The reality is that vegan parents are more likely to cook at home, and are likely to be very knowledgeable about nutrition because they have had to make a lot of effort to follow the diet they do. Many of them follow a wholefood diet, and avoid trans-fats and too much salt. It's actually much easier for vegans and their children to meet the five-a-day guidelines than for other people."

Vegans, she says, are victims of the fact that many people, from doctors and health workers to social workers and other parents, are badly informed. "We've written to every GP's surgery in an attempt to make sure there's better information out there. Parents can come in for mistaken pressure from people with genuine concerns, simply because the issues aren't properly understood."
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My daughter never liked meat. From the time she was a fetus to now at 5 years old, she just hasn't been a fan. I discussed it with her dr at different age checkups and she said that she wasn't concerned because her diet was otherwise healthy (lots of veggies, esp iron-rich ones) and she got her protein from beans, peanut butter, tofu, and cheese. When I asked, the doctor said even a multivitamin wasn't necessary. I cook basically a vegetarian diet for her except for a hot dog and some bacon every few months. On a side note, there are a few weird meats that she DOES like--for example, canned smoked oysters, goat, and beef liver. Of all meats, those are the ones she loves! My sweet, nutty little girl.

ETA: Off-topic, but I don't understand why other people are so vocally and judgmentally concerned by parents giving their children food that is differently-nutritious. One ex of mine was absolutely disgusted that I cooked vegetarian foods for my daughter and that I wouldn't force meat into her gullet. It really bothered him and he caused dinner-table stress by insisting that she eat meat at every meal. Once, she took a bite of a rib and proclaimed it tolerable and he was absolutely ecstatic and had this strong sense of relief that she was "American." Eh? What happens in my kitchen is really nobody else's concern, as long as she is getting adequately nourished. Please excuse me, I'm tired and crabby and I know my words are less than eloquent right now, but if there is a child that is being well-cared for and otherwise healthfully raised, a family's decision to feed a child a vegetarian diet is nunya bidness.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but my colleagues have 2 aged around 15 and 10. They've been vegetarian since birth (the kids). In general the whole family eats a very healthy diet and, as others have pointed out, that's the main thing.

One thing I think is very smart is that they've never made a big deal out of it or tried to forbid their kids from eating meat. The kids are welcome to try it if they want to it's just that apparently neither of them ever have felt like doing so.
  • mumitis
    mumitis Posts: 2
    Options
    I have eaten mostly vegetarian for 20 years, with the occasional bit of seafood. I eat this way because I've never really liked any other meat (even as a child). My husband eats my diet at home because I do the shopping and cooking. :) However, he eats meat when we go out. My 4 year old is permitted meat (and trust me, my extended family offer it to her whenever they can) but she has always declined or spit it out. She occasionally will eat fish. We don't make an issue out of it. She loves nuts, beans, fruits, veggies and grains. She's not a fan of cheese, but will eat Greek yoghurt. She drinks almond milk or water. She's healthy, energetic and intelligent. There are lots of books and websites on raising a vegetarian child. The more you educate yourself, the more you discover that what the government tells us we need (food pyramid, dairy, etc.) is heavily influenced by lobby groups and may not actually be the healthiest way to eat. In fact, I am often amazed at how my daughter listens to her body (and wish I'd grown up the same way instead of having to clean my plate at 3 large meals a day). She eats when she's hungry and stops when she's full. She'll happily eat a few pieces of chocolate but declines more saying she's had enough. To answer your question (finally), I don't find it hard to feed her vegetarian food. In fact, it's easy to make her a plate at dinner. Last night she had a hand full of chick peas, walnuts, berries, apple and sweet potato. She had a Greek yoghurt for dessert with some honey on it. She snacks on peanut butter toast, sweet peas, fruit, crackers, seeds, nuts.... In fact, she actually eats quite a bit throughout the day....

Good luck with whatever decision you make for you and your family. I think balance is the key....
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to educate myself further and I feel like going vegetarian is going to be the best course of action for myself.

I am Mama to a 15-month old and while I understand that children and adults have very different nutritional needs, I am curious to see if there is anyone who feeds their child(ren) a vegetarian diet and just exactly how you go about doing so in a very meat-driven world.

Right now, she eats like us: a mostly vegetable-based diet, with some poultry, seafood and minimal red meat in the mix.

Also curious to hear from those who have eliminated cow's milk and how you properly provide for yourself and your child.

I am aware that I should not make any drastic changes to our diets, hers especially, without medical consultation. This discussion isn't to replace that, just to supplement and get some ideas brewing/clarified.

Thanks for the input!

I can't add anything to the vegetarian/vegan part of this, (my kids LOVE meat) but they are dairy free. My oldest can have a bit, but the other two can have non. My daughter has never had a sip of milk in her life, and shes 5. We were warned that "they wouldn't develop right" and "their brains are going to suffer", and 1000 other stupid things, and they are fine. My daughter drank soy milk as a baby, and my son, who is allergic to soy as well as dairy, drank rice milk. Now all 3 of them use coconut milk. We don't buy yogurt, or make meals that include cheese/sourcream/etc. I'm also dairy free, so its really not an issue.

We do supplement with calcium supplements and a multi-vitamin to make sure they aren't missing anything.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    read forks over knives. my son eats alot healthier with us at dinner now.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input!

I'm actually quite interested to hear the answers about milk... because children ARE meant to drink some form of milk even if adults aren't (evolutionarily speaking). How would you replace what's lost by eliminating milk for children? Soy and other veggie varieties simply don't have the same nutritional profile. As a veggie fan myself, I'm legitimately curious.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I'm actually quite interested to hear the answers about milk... because children ARE meant to drink some form of milk even if adults aren't (evolutionarily speaking). ..

Interesting, since "evolutionarily speaking" some adults have evolved to drink milk. Some of us produce lactase well into adulthood to take advantage of the nutrition in milk.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm actually quite interested to hear the answers about milk... because children ARE meant to drink some form of milk even if adults aren't (evolutionarily speaking). ..

Interesting, since "evolutionarily speaking" some adults have evolved to drink milk. Some of us produce lactase well into adulthood to take advantage of the nutrition in milk.

lol figured one of you trolls would freak at that. yes - obviously adults in america and europe have evolved to handle milk - i'm just saying that children have ALWAYS NEEDED it (breast milk), while adults adapted to be able to HANDLE it.

do you follow the difference? it's ok if you don't. but I genuinely was interested in the topic - let's not make it a pissing match.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    So I'm a troll because you don't understand evolution and natural selection and made an incorrect statement?
    OK.
    There is nothing wrong with a vegetarian diet that includes milk, including for adults.
    Lactase persistence is an excellent example of natural selection in action.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    So I'm a troll because you don't understand evolution and natural selection and made an incorrect statement?
    OK.
    There is nothing wrong with a vegetarian diet that includes milk, including for adults.
    Lactase persistence is an excellent example of natural selection in action.

this is not the topic the OP wanted to discuss. please stop.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Edited...waste of time and effort
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Yes it is. The OP wants to know what examples of vegetarian food are good for their child and themselves.

Hmm... I guess we have different levels of reading comprehension

sounds like she wants to hear from people who have eliminated it. doesn't sound like you fit the bill.

Sorry about this OP - let's get back on topic. :smile:
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Sorry OP. You can eliminate it if you wish. I just wanted to correct Coach's incorrect statement about evolution since he seems to state things as fact that aren't true.
    Out of here.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input!

I'm actually quite interested to hear the answers about milk... because children ARE meant to drink some form of milk even if adults aren't (evolutionarily speaking). How would you replace what's lost by eliminating milk for children? Soy and other veggie varieties simply don't have the same nutritional profile. As a veggie fan myself, I'm legitimately curious.

If you breastfeed the child on demand until their permanent teeth start to grow (age 5.5 - 6 yrs) then you don't need to give the child dairy. That's what our evolutionary ancestors did prior to the development of dairy farming. That's what modern hunter-gatherers do. And when I said "on demand" I mean on demand, not on a schedule, i.e. feed the child every time they want to feed (their body knows what they need).

Seriously children NEED milk in their diet. For the first year of life, it has to be human milk or a formula that's specifically designed for infant feeding (plain cows milk is not enough) - then from age one they need milk, and by that I mean animal milk, not a substitute, unless it's a substitute that's medically suitable for kids who are allergic to animal milks.

I do not agree with replacing animal milks with plant based milks for children under the age of 6. After the age of 6, they don't need dairy, and hunter-gatherers don't typically breastfeed their kids past this age, and they have no kind of milk in their diet at all other than breast milk up to age 6. Kids are not growing so fast by then and their nutritional needs are closer to that of an adult's.

Bear in mind that even giving kids cows (or any animal's) milk and dairy products is actually a substitute for human milk. So giving plant milk instead of animal milk to kids under six is a substitute for a substitute. If you really object that much to your 15 month old baby having animal milks, give her human milk instead. You can re-lactate if you have already quit breastfeeding (La Leche League has information on how to do that). If you don't want to breastfeed her, then give her animal milk. Let her decide for herself when she's older if she wants to be vegan or not.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Thanks for the input!

If you breastfeed the child on demand until their permanent teeth start to grow (age 5.5 - 6 yrs) then you don't need to give the child dairy. That's what our evolutionary ancestors did prior to the development of dairy farming. That's what modern hunter-gatherers do. And when I said "on demand" I mean on demand, not on a schedule, i.e. feed the child every time they want to feed (their body knows what they need).

Seriously children NEED milk in their diet. For the first year of life, it has to be human milk or a formula that's specifically designed for infant feeding (plain cows milk is not enough) - then from age one they need milk, and by that I mean animal milk, not a substitute, unless it's a substitute that's medically suitable for kids who are allergic to animal milks.

I do not agree with replacing animal milks with plant based milks for children under the age of 6. After the age of 6, they don't need dairy, and hunter-gatherers don't typically breastfeed their kids past this age, and they have no kind of milk in their diet at all other than breast milk up to age 6. Kids are not growing so fast by then and their nutritional needs are closer to that of an adult's.

Bear in mind that even giving kids cows (or any animal's) milk and dairy products is actually a substitute for human milk. So giving plant milk instead of animal milk to kids under six is a substitute for a substitute. If you really object that much to your 15 month old baby having animal milks, give her human milk instead. You can re-lactate if you have already quit breastfeeding (La Leche League has information on how to do that). If you don't want to breastfeed her, then give her animal milk. Let her decide for herself when she's older if she wants to be vegan or not.

Yeah... I think I pretty much agree with all of this... thanks!
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    If you go to PETAs website, they have a very informative section on becoming vegetarian/vegan with a lot of resources, recipes, etc
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I raised both of my children vegetarian (but not vegan) until they were old enough to make an informed choice. Now that they are teenagers, one still is, the other isn't. We followed our pediatrician's recommendations about milk, which I think was whole milk until age 1 or 2 (it's been quite awhile, don't remember for sure), then skim. We didn't eliminate milk from anyone's diet at any point. I would be very concerned about doing that with a growing child unless I knew for certain that they were getting all those nutrients from something else in abundance.

ETA: My kids LOVED silken tofu right out of the box, cut up to gobble as a finger food. They ate a lot of that.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    read forks over knives. my son eats alot healthier with us at dinner now.

hey those documentary's worked on my teenager as well, she now pays attention to what she puts in her body.