Swimming vs running: Which is "better"?

I LOVE to swim. I love is so much I may do it in college; however, my boyfriend loves running. I don't because while he's in shape (well, more or less. I encourage him to vary what he eats other than rice and beans), I am not. And I have a WONDERFUL, but jiggly booty. I love my butt, and yes, I do squats, but I dislike running. I know it's a preference thing and they both get your heart rate up, but which is "better"? I think swimming is a full body work out, correct?

Replies

• JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    :happy: That's like making me choose between chocolate ice cream and toffee ice cream!

Everything in moderation. Just do what you enjoy x
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    swimming defines muscles all over your body whereas running focuses more on specific muscle areas. depending on your technique, swimming can be a cardio and a strenght training which is one of this sports' best features!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Punch it into the database and see what comes up as the best burn? I know my friends who do swimming, water aerobics etc get great calorie burns. I would tend to think swimming is good because you are getting support fo joints etc, whereas running can cause issues with joints. Also water is FUN :smile:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Swimming works your arms. I find running is more forgiving with your form too.

I was a swimmer back when I was younger. I run now because its easier to just walk out my front door and run. If I had a pool, I might be swimming more.

Find a friend that can ride a bike and you can do a group triathlon.
  • zimfour
    zimfour Posts: 191 Member
    Punch it into the database and see what comes up as the best burn? I know my friends who do swimming, water aerobics etc get great calorie burns. I would tend to think swimming is good because you are getting support fo joints etc, whereas running can cause issues with joints. Also water is FUN :smile:

BOTH have their good fit qualities, BUT for the MOST calorie BURN, it is SWIMMING!!!!! :glasses: :glasses: :smokin: :smokin:

Besides, ever seen a runner in just swimwear?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Swimming for me! In the pool, in safe rivers, lakes and the sea - a beautiful, exhilarating way to stay fit and find hidden depths within yourself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    The better one is whichever one you prefer doing.

/thread
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member

BOTH have their good fit qualities, BUT for the MOST calorie BURN, it is SWIMMING!!!!! :glasses: :glasses: :smokin: :smokin:

Besides, ever seen a runner in just swimwear?

This is an interesting observation, as I am a runner and I look very good in my swimsuit. What was your point exactly?

To answer the OP, whichever YOU want to do. If you aren't enjoying yourself, you won't do it. And the most important part is that you get your exercise in. Good Luck!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    I guess I have to weight until I feel well though since I'm fighting off something. I just really want to get active soon.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Both are great claorie burners, so it really depends on preference. To motivate you both, try doing both activities together at least once a week. Then you can part ways to enjoy your preference on the other days. You get quality time together and decent cross training. Best wishes to you both.
  • Bug2love
    Bug2love Posts: 41 Member
    I do running more because it gives me personal goals to meet by being able to join in races and know that I have accomplished certain things. I like seeing improvements in my time and distance. It was never something I thought I could do when I was younger so for me it gives me satisfaction on reaching goals. It is also something I do with my roommate so anytime I can get social in is good. I say do which one works for you. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

/thread

This. With maybe an addition of "and can do on a regular basis."

I'd love swimming if I had access to a pool. I'd love mountain biking if I had a bike. I love running because all I need are shoes.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

/thread

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    I prefer swimming.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 406 Member

/thread

Absolutely this one!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    I love running. I get a HUGE runner's high after running 5K or more. I can't swim all that well, and all I get from swimming is a fear of drowning and a bit shakey. Easy choice for me! Also, osteporosis runs in the family, so I should be focusing on load-bearing exercise, including running.

I agree that either could be fun if you do it with your partner. Do them for fun rather than exercise sometimes too.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    fast swimming burns more kcals and IMO works muscle better
    but do which ever you preffer
  • sarah020489
    sarah020489 Posts: 1 Member
    I do a bit of both to vary which muscles I'm using.. Depends which you feel burns more!! =)
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Which ever one you enjoy! Running is easier for me for now... come summer though I will be doing plenty of both!
  • JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    I guess I have to weight until I feel well though since I'm fighting off something. I just really want to get active soon.

You take care. If you're feeling a bit poorly just do gentle exercise, nice and simple. Maybe brisk walking. Get well soon x
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    I love both! I can't wait to swim this summer again!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    I LOVE swimming but my main stroke is a sort of breast stroke I taught myself when I was a kid. I don't have great co-ordination and I learn to do things by feel, rather than by listening to someone say, "do this with your right hand and shift your balance to the left and then with your left foot..." Anyway, after getting a HRM I found that my preferred breast stroke was quite lazy and I burn more calories when running. It turns out, though, that it's a good stroke for triathlons- it doesn't work your legs very hard so they're ready when you have to bicycle and run.

So, it depends on your stroke. I'm sure Michael Phelps burns more than I do! Any time we travel you'll find me in the hotel pool (unless it's so tiny I can't do laps). I alternate swimming with running back and forth across the pool in water up to my waist. THAT's a workout!

But for me, cross-training is best because it gives some muscles a workout and some a "day off". No reason you can't run with your boyfriend some days, swim on others.
  • kassiebby1124
    Well I just dislike running, but it's more of a timing issue. I work out in the morning. The YMCA's pool is open at 5:30. He's out of high school so he obviously doesn't wake up as early as i do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    What does his schedule have to do with it?
  • kassiebby1124
    Someone suggested we run and swim together
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member

/thread

This. With maybe an addition of "and can do on a regular basis."

I'd love swimming if I had access to a pool. I'd love mountain biking if I had a bike. I love running because all I need are shoes.

QFT!

Whatever one you will continue to do, it the right one. Something that you hate doing - probably not the right one.

I run now, and i used to swim. If I had a pool, I would do both. Because both are great for your body, and I like variety.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Nothing wrong with doing both. Probably better for the joints and bone density as well to have a bit of true load bearing exercise.

Why not mix it up - do what you each enjoy 2/3 of the time and exercise together for the rest?

Oh, I'm in favour of exercise not being something only done as a couple. Get in the habit of exercising for yourself and then choosing to share it occasionally. Otherwise there's more scope for it to get abandoned or compromised.
  • kassiebby1124
    Nothing wrong with doing both. Probably better for the joints and bone density as well to have a bit of true load bearing exercise.

Why not mix it up - do what you each enjoy 2/3 of the time and exercise together for the rest?

Oh, I'm in favour of exercise not being something only done as a couple. Get in the habit of exercising for yourself and then choosing to share it occasionally. Otherwise there's more scope for it to get abandoned or compromised.
    Oh I don't depend on him to work out with me, nor anyone else. I like working out on my own.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    The argument over which one is better is why things like Iron Man exist. It seems that it's still open to debate and depends largely on what your goals and preferences are.
  • kassiebby1124
    The argument over which one is better is why things like Iron Man exist. It seems that it's still open to debate and depends largely on what your goals and preferences are.
    My goal is to achieve 18% body fat one day,