Swimming vs running: Which is "better"?

2»

Replies

• hart1028
    hart1028 Posts: 22
    do what you like, as long as you keep moving!! I like swimming, once upon a time I was a competitive swimmer so for me its a no brainer. I like the variation, each stroke works different muscles, you can use the blocks to do pull ups and arm curls, you can just kick, or use just arms. Tredding water eggbeater style no arms is awesome for the inner thigh (and every flip turn you do is like doing a crunch ;-0), but I run and bike too, That way not one activity gets boring.

Whe you get down to it though, what matters is you keep moving :)
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    I want to get more into swimming since I want to do it in college.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    I was a swimmer in high school and now I'm a runner. I've done several half marathons, 5k's and I have done a marathon. I only stopped swimming because I got fat and didn't want to be seen in a bathing suit. Now that I'm back down to a weight I'm somewhat happy with I want to start swimming again. My goal for this year is a sprint triathlon.

Just do what you like, but don't be afraid to mix it up! Neither of them is bad so why not do both!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    The argument over which one is better is why things like Iron Man exist. It seems that it's still open to debate and depends largely on what your goals and preferences are.
    My goal is to achieve 18% body fat one day,

Goals are for the future; plans are for today. It's best to have both in place.

What is your plan to reach your goal? How many laps are you going to swim today? How many times are you going to swim this week? What is your meal plan for the week? You said the pool is open at 5:30 so is your alarm clock set for tomorrow?

If we want something to happen "one day" then we best get cracking on it today
  • kassiebby1124
    The argument over which one is better is why things like Iron Man exist. It seems that it's still open to debate and depends largely on what your goals and preferences are.

What is your plan to reach your goal? How many laps are you going to swim today? How many times are you going to swim this week? What is your meal plan for the week? You said the pool is open at 5:30 so is your alarm clock set for tomorrow?

Not open tomorrow. It's my rest day, anyways

Plan:
    Mon, wed, fri: lifting
    Tues, Thurs: I don't have a number set for laps. I am aiming for 60 mins with minimum breaks, though.

I don't plan meals because I don't buy the groceries.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Running.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member

That is largely a quest of diet. Swimming and running are good cardio exercises but if you're looking to lower your body fat percentage, that will be done by eating at a calorie deficit while strength training.
  • kassiebby1124

That is largely a quest of diet. Swimming and running are good cardio exercises but if you're looking to lower your body fat percentage, that will be done by eating at a calorie deficit while strength training.
    I eat about 1370 a day and more on lifting days (:
  • The "best"/most effective exercise is the one you'll actually do. If you don't like running, you'll be more likely to find reasons why you can't do it, whereas if you choose an exercise you enjoy then you're more likely to go out of your way to fit it in even when it's inconvenient.

that said, I'm off to the gym for my two favourite classes :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    The better one is whichever one you prefer doing.

/thread

This. X1000
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Swimming burns a ton more calories. I enjoy it much more, it makes me sore in a good way, not the bad way that running tends to. If it's what you like, though, go for it either way. It's better to enjoy exercise than to do what's "better"...if you don't enjoy it, it'll make you miserable to stick to it.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I mainly do walking/running intervals but when my weight loss stalled,I added swimming and it got me over the hurdle.

Now I try to get a water jogging class , deep end running with a flotation belt, ( sounds strange I know) once a week because it's fun and easier on my old joints.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    It depends entirely on you and what you enjoy. Anything that gets your heart rate up and off the couch is better than nothing. Its important that you do what you are comfortable with and will stick to!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    I find it harder to get my heart rate up swimming, compared to running but as I age swimming is easier on my joints. But it is not a weight bearing exercise, so it doesn't build bone density, which is also important as you age. My favorite is bicycling, but I like to swim and run too. Now that I have lost enough weight (and built leg muscle) to run again (without mashing my knees), I hope to train for a sprint (short) triathlon. I've done sprint tris before and its really fun, and mixing it up by cross training is good for my body. I also enjoy various forms of weight lifing and just recently built enough strength to do full body pushups! Hooray! Core strenth is great for all forms of aerobic exercise like running and swimming!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I really have never liked running but my daughter and brother love it. My knees would not allow me to run anymore.
    But as was previously said the best one is the one you will do. At age 61 the water is much more forgiving for joint stress.
  • roweandy
    roweandy Posts: 1 Member

I'm swimming a mile a day in about 34 min. freestyle and then the remainder usually about 6 min in breast stroke. This has been a great way for me to exercise. I'm down 25lbs since Jan 20, 2013. I have a ways to go, but am enjoying watching the scales drop pounds and getting back into old clothes.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Just got back from a meeting in AZ- swam outside 4 days in a row (heated pool). I have no idea what the resort's gym looked like; I never used it!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Like any cardio exercise you chose, it will become less affective the better you become so whether you swim or run just make sure you keep pushing yourself. If you can do 100 meters in 2 minutes today, then aim to do it in a minute 30 2 weeks from now (something like that). Switch it up, do intervals, not just a slow 500. Do 50 meters as fast as you can, then 50 at a normal pace and repeat.