i'm over 40. is it impossible?

Options
I cannot believe how hard weight loss has become since I hit my 40s. I remember people telling me when I was younger "wait till you're 40" They were right. I feel like in order to lose weight nowadays, I can't eat ANYTHING and I have to work out like a maniac. It's so depressing. I don't want to live like that for the rest of my life but I sure don't want to be a fatty either!

Anyone else out there experiencing this sucky realization? Any advice?

Replies

• Diamond_angel20
    Options
    I know ALOT of people who have lost weight in their 40s like the biggest loser contestants. Trust me its possible, it may be harder or slower, but in order to achieve any goal you to have to WORK HARD and HAVE DETERMINATION, and we ALL have very bad days where we will fall off track for days, months even but no matter what happens u have to NOT GIVE UP and complete what u have started. Remind yourself of why u started and know that discipline is choosing between what u want now, and what u want the most. :) Good luck ! :D people here are amazing and so motivating and there are alot of success stories here too ! :)
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know ALOT of people who have lost weight in their 40s like the biggest loser contestants. Trust me its possible, it may be harder or slower, but in order to achieve any goal you to have to WORK HARD and HAVE DETERMINATION, and we ALL have very bad days where we will fall off track for days, months even but no matter what happens u have to NOT GIVE UP and complete what u have started. Remind yourself of why u started and know that discipline is choosing between what u want now, and what u want the most. :) Good luck ! :D people here are amazing and so motivating and there are alot of success stories here too ! :)

Thanks honey! What a great boost you just gave me! :flowerforyou:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

you're down to your last 10lbs, right? you might be trying to hard and mucking up your hormones. relax your deficit a bit. don't do so much cardio. let your cortisol levels come back to normal. read Dan's Roadmap and make sure you understand the concepts and then sanity check your own numbers to make sure they make sense. shoot for 3-4 lbs per month for your loss for the time being and see if that helps.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    43yo here and still losing - you're getting close to your goal and that's when it gets hard. Keep at it. You've done great so far! :flowerforyou:

Oh, and I agree with WinVic^^, as you near your goal you need to start looking at how you'll maintain, the road map will teach you some useful tools for when you get there too x
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not just for weight-loss, but for everything. I take longer to recover from everything I do, I'm more likely to injure or tweak something, etc. I think the most important advice is to be patient in whatever it is you're doing, whether it's losing weight or getting stronger. I say "I think" because I'm horrible at being patient, so I haven't tried it as much as I should to see if it really works.

Good luck.
  • laura328
    Options

you're down to your last 10lbs, right? you might be trying to hard and mucking up your hormones. relax your deficit a bit. don't do so much cardio. let your cortisol levels come back to normal. read Dan's Roadmap and make sure you understand the concepts and then sanity check your own numbers to make sure they make sense. shoot for 3-4 lbs per month for your loss for the time being and see if that helps.

Dan's roadmap??
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 42 in a couple months and look at me go! 55 lbs. since July 2012. The other 30 before...it's not so hard. I have metabolic issues (PCOS) on top of my age to reckon with. You can do it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Dan's roadmap??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

More specifically... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map

The last 10-15 is slower, and you need to approach it differently. Work smarter, not harder.

Think of it like you want to knock down a tree. You can push it, push it, push it with all your might, but no matter how hard you work, it's not going to fall over. When you use the right tools and some physics, you can knock that sucker over in no time flat. For me, the right tools were a combination of cardio and heavy strength training, and the physics was eating at an appropriate deficit. If I eat 1200, my body freaks out and I stall. If I eat 1800-2000, the pounds slowly fall off.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am 50. I have lost 29 pounds in the last two months, so I know it can be done. I have a long way to go still (70 pounds) but will never give up.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am 41. I hardly do any cardio, I eat 1400-1500 calories daily. I am losing half a pound a month. I do body weight/ strength training.

(to be fair, I only had 10 pounds to lose, then decided to work on my strength and body fat &)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and it has taken me six months to lose 20 pounds, but I have lost them and they are not going back on! Good luck with your quest, you will do it. If you only have 10 pounds to go (lucky you!) then set your app to lose 0.5 pounds a week and it should go down slowly and stay off. Do some weights too if you have not done these before, they really tighten you up. I can see shape in my arms and ankles for the first time in around 10 years. At least you are doing this in your 40s, I didn't and regret it.... Go girl!
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Take some advice from someone who turns the big Six-Oh next month.... get that weight off now, while you're still only 40! It gets worser and worser, especially once you go thru menopause... :sad:

I've managed to lose 13 pounds in 8 weeks, but still have 30 pounds to go... I figure it will take me a year, now that the "easy" first few pounds have come off... :noway:

You can DO it! And... so can I... if I don't die first, LOL.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I am 49 and stalled with 5 lbs to go. I bought my Fitbit, set my cals at 1450, ate back every single exercise and Fitbit calorie and was at goal in 5 weeks. It doesn't have to be painful! Patience does help! Good luck!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Dan's roadmap??

More specifically... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map

The last 10-15 is slower, and you need to approach it differently. Work smarter, not harder.

Think of it like you want to knock down a tree. You can push it, push it, push it with all your might, but no matter how hard you work, it's not going to fall over. When you use the right tools and some physics, you can knock that sucker over in no time flat. For me, the right tools were a combination of cardio and heavy strength training, and the physics was eating at an appropriate deficit. If I eat 1200, my body freaks out and I stall. If I eat 1800-2000, the pounds slowly fall off.

YES!!! Eat more and heavy lift and be patient...it will work. (I am 42)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have always had to workout a lot to lose weight, even as a teenager. But dang did I look good when I got onto the adult volleyball league and was able to play every night of the week!

As a matter of fact, at only an hour a day, I am working out less than I did to lose weight in my thirties. The main differences are that I am eating better and work smarter/ harder.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Dan's roadmap??

YES!!! Eat more and heavy lift and be patient...it will work. (I am 42)

Yes!!! Eat more & lift heavy & be patient....it will work. (I am 54)
  • laura328
    Options
    Dan's roadmap??

Um....I just did the calculation according to this and I'M OBESE!!!! I wear a size 10! Now I'm more depressed than ever!
    Thanks Dan! :sad:
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and I have lost a total of 38 lbs or about 25% of my weight.. It was by eating clean, no processed foods or soda, lots of water, and moving more. I use the formula TDEE - 20% = 1025c per day for me. (I am very tiny.) Good luck. Don't wait like I did.
  • laura328
    Options
    I am 66 and I have lost a total of 38 lbs or about 25% of my weight.. It was by eating clean, no processed foods or soda, lots of water, and moving more. Check out Dan's Roadmap.

I hate Dan right now. See my post above.