Just moved to the fattest state in the union!

Options
124»

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome. I love absurdity and the absurdity of complaining about fat people on MyFitnessPal is delicious.

Haha, isn't it though?

Sanctimony abounds.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lived in Mississippi for 8 years (Brandon ,outside of Jackson), I am from St. Louis. There is a lot of good about the state, weather for one is so nice. My kids had a very hard time adjusting to school down their, but they did adjust and made friends. The main issues is there is ingrained posverty, we just get use to the fact their are poor people, and even if they are on food stamps,many do not know how to eat healthy. They are quite often generations of familys who have never known anything other that welfare. The culture is very segregated. You may live wth poor,black,white ,wealthy all in the same block ! But the Churches are very segregated by race and so is any other social activity.
    People have babies very early, drop out of school andthe cycle repeats itself,nothing new,just sad.
    The women for the most part are very well "bred" they all dress nice,and apperance is much more important than substance. The heavy people, usually still put a smile on, make up on and dress up. They are very friendly,but you will never belong unless you were born there.
    The obesity is also contributed by the good ole down home cooking. Butter it, fry it,cover it in gravy ! You have a meal !
    Good luck on adjusting, there are some nice people,just look for them. We are now back in St. Louis,glad to be home :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    --double post for some reason-
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Talk about culture shock! I moved from upstate New York where I built organic backyard gardens for a living to southern Mississippi, where 1 in 3 children are hungry but I cant find em, maybe they're hiding behind all the obese people. I know, thats insensitive, but im going to restart my business down here and im hoping it wont flop, try talking health to anyone around here and they start talking about God! Its scary, lets pray for health, while we eat only fried foods and never move anywhere! My daughter literally goes to school a 7 min. Walk away from our house and we walk, whats odd is ive been asked if we need a ride around 50 times in the month we've been here, each time I state "thank you but we like to walk" and 9 times out of 10 they argue that that cant possibly be the case! Whats worse is they send a bus around to the development directly across the street from the school, which im positive is way more expemsive than hiring a couple crossing gaurds! Idk, I need some health conscious friends online because i feel like im the only one around here who gives 1 iota about being healthy happy and staying that way for as long as possible round this place!

To me, it sounds like you have found yourself an untapped market for your business. For all the people who do not embrace a healthy lifestyle, there will be others who do. I'm sure there are some people in your local community who share the same or similar values to yourself. For some inspiration, I recommend that you search for and watch the documentary series on Jamie Oliver and his fresh food revolution in the United States.
    I wish you all the best and I look forward to finding out how you get on with your healthy lifestyle and your organic garden business.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    If your business flops I think it might have more to do with your attitude than anything else.... :/
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

When the community does not allow for objective responses, the topic will become as a whole, divisive. When polarization of this kind happens topics will almost always be locked. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

Please do keep in mind the following community guidelines:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.