The rules of vegan clean eating

Options
124»

Replies

• karkaskompetisie
    Options
    I'm a vegan (there is a difference between being vegan and vegetarian) and if you want to eat vegan you are supposed to exclude eggs, honey, meat, dairy, etc. and anything that contains those foods like cake (you'll be able to find vegan cake recipes on the internet though), pasta (you can buy pasta made without eggs), pudding, etc.) from your diet.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great information here: http://bit.ly/XqophR

Probably where 99% of responders are getting their info on the topic.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    Ok, so when I was a vegan, my biggest challenge was getting protein that is not soy and not largely carbs. My reason for not eating soy/avoiding it is because it is highly processed in general, a phyto-estrogen (plant-based estrogen) which, it is said, should be avoided especially if you have a history of breast cancer, and it is a constipator. Of these reasons, I think you would be most interested in the processed nature of soy, which is not "clean". Tempeh is argued to be better because it is fermented and, therefore, easier to digest. However, it is still soy and still a phyto-estrogen. Whether you avoid this or not is certainly up to you-your body will also let you know whether you can and can not eat certain things.
    Also, it is worth noting that many North Americans who go vegan or veg tend to rely heavily on soy products and sometimes justify this on the basis of Asian food consumption being healthy AND including soy. Yes, it includes soy-but as a condiment and infrequently-not as a main. Furthermore, like everything that hits the west food wise, we have found a way to make it waaay unhealthier through over-processing.
    Ok, moving on from soy...
    Corn-tends to be gmo and messed with-like soy it is over-consumed either intentionally or because it is in EVERYTHING. Good luck avoiding this....actually, we can cut this short by re-stating what the gentleman earlier said about avoiding canned and boxed things...I'd read ingredients and make sure you can pronounce and recognize everything in it-and that what you recognize is healthy and something you'd want to eat because it is healthy.
    I would venture to say that brown rice is fine-but this whole "clean" thing is a bit variable so you have to figure what that means for yourself and then figure out how to translate that into your own life. For example, if you mean "clean" as in "no carb" then you are **** out of luck in my experience because vegan protein that is not soy is carb-laden-that is just a fact.
    Also, you can look into organic, although there are minimal regulations on that currently, so my feeling is it is largely a waste of money, but that is a decision you must make.
    Finally, and as an aside, peanuts are said to be an inflammatory, so pay attention to how your body reacts when you consume them.
    Good luck!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a good alternate protein choice...

You won't go ovo lacto? I mean...vegan diets are slightly more difficult as far as getting protein. Not impossible...but you might get tired of the same thing all the time.
    quinoa is not a primary source of protein its 8 grams of protein for every 34c (39(5 fiber) grams of carbohydrates
    blackbeans are a much better option 22g of protein vs 47(62g(15fiber) carbs
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Ok, so when I was a vegan, my biggest challenge was getting protein that is not soy and not largely carbs. My reason for not eating soy/avoiding it is because it is highly processed in general, a phyto-estrogen (plant-based estrogen) which, it is said, should be avoided especially if you have a history of breast cancer, and it is a constipator. Of these reasons, I think you would be most interested in the processed nature of soy, which is not "clean". Tempeh is argued to be better because it is fermented and, therefore, easier to digest. However, it is still soy and still a phyto-estrogen. Whether you avoid this or not is certainly up to you-your body will also let you know whether you can and can not eat certain things.
    Also, it is worth noting that many North Americans who go vegan or veg tend to rely heavily on soy products and sometimes justify this on the basis of Asian food consumption being healthy AND including soy. Yes, it includes soy-but as a condiment and infrequently-not as a main. Furthermore, like everything that hits the west food wise, we have found a way to make it waaay unhealthier through over-processing.
    Ok, moving on from soy...
    Corn-tends to be gmo and messed with-like soy it is over-consumed either intentionally or because it is in EVERYTHING. Good luck avoiding this....actually, we can cut this short by re-stating what the gentleman earlier said about avoiding canned and boxed things...I'd read ingredients and make sure you can pronounce and recognize everything in it-and that what you recognize is healthy and something you'd want to eat because it is healthy.
    I would venture to say that brown rice is fine-but this whole "clean" thing is a bit variable so you have to figure what that means for yourself and then figure out how to translate that into your own life. For example, if you mean "clean" as in "no carb" then you are **** out of luck in my experience because vegan protein that is not soy is carb-laden-that is just a fact.
    Also, you can look into organic, although there are minimal regulations on that currently, so my feeling is it is largely a waste of money, but that is a decision you must make.
    Finally, and as an aside, peanuts are said to be an inflammatory, so pay attention to how your body reacts when you consume them.
    Good luck!

pea protein and rice protein are more available.
    peanuts are an anti-inflammatory...
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Don't you think I would have tried googling it first? I couldn't find anything clear. They're all pretty vague

There's a reason why there responses are vague...because there's not a Clean Eating Consortium that writes "the rules" for this. Generally speaking, the clean community avoids white flour, refined sugar, anything "in a box." I'm sure CoachReddy will be here soon to tell you what to eat.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Okay I want to start eating clean but I dont really know what I can and can't have

can i have rice? brown rice? what about pasta?
    sugar? flour? and which types

but yeah so on, if anyone could tell me what is classed clean and unclean that would be great!

I've been looking to clean foods to reduce my cholesterol. Please look at my food diary. My 7 week total cholesterol progress: from 189 to 134. My diet consists mostly of raw veggies and fruits. I don't consider myself a vegetarian, although I have not eaten (and lost craving) for meats. I would say at the moment I am consuming Nutritarian diet. Hope this helps
  • valey1234
    valey1234 Posts: 29
    Options
    How about keeping it simple most natural foods that dont have a lot of added chemicals are clean and good for you . I say it is up to you if you want to avoid eating meat but not all meat is filthy dirty so enjoy yourself and eat . valey1234
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Don't you think I would have tried googling it first? I couldn't find anything clear. They're all pretty vague

There's a reason why there responses are vague...because there's not a Clean Eating Consortium that writes "the rules" for this. Generally speaking, the clean community avoids white flour, refined sugar, anything "in a box." I'm sure CoachReddy will be here soon to tell you what to eat.

even though there is no scientific evidence or anything that properly says what clean really is.
    there is nothing wrong with refined sugar and that fructose garbage study has been recently disproven
    In reality there is no such thing as clean. There is micronutrient dense and micronutrient deficient foods and high satiety vs non high-satiety foods
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Okay I want to start eating clean but I dont really know what I can and can't have

can i have rice? brown rice? what about pasta?
    sugar? flour? and which types

but yeah so on, if anyone could tell me what is classed clean and unclean that would be great!

I've been looking to clean foods to reduce my cholesterol. Please look at my food diary. My 7 week total cholesterol progress: from 189 to 134. My diet consists mostly of raw veggies and fruits. I don't consider myself a vegetarian, although I have not eaten (and lost craving) for meats. I would say at the moment I am consuming Nutritarian diet. Hope this helps
    america is the only country that has to worry about cholesterol. which is ridiculous. europeans who have the highest cholesterol, highester intake of saturated fats, have the lowest risk of CHD and then americans are the opposite.

They think it may have something to do with red wine
    Since we do have to worry about cholesterol monounsaturated fats are the most superior thing you can take in for it.
    Dietary cholesterol and reduction of saturated fats has nothing to do with it so it isnt about meat products.
    It has to do with level of activity and has to do with being in a hypercaloric diet
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    its unethical
    dirty
    expensive
    and makes me want to vom
    however if i really need to i'll sometimes have seafood when eating out as not a lot of places do vegan food

Also now two longterm studies showing vegetarians live longer than those who eat meat, which is another good reason.
    One by Oxford University and another by Loma.

http://healthandnutritionmagazine.co.ug/?p=62

http://www.examiner.com/article/vegetarians-and-vegans-live-longer-healthier-lives-and-weigh-less-say-studies-1

http://www.llu.edu/public-health/health/lifestyle_disease.page

I am sure those with more access to research papers will be able to find better sources.

I always read that the healthiest diet that leads to long life is the Pescetarian diet. Just putting that out there.

Oh! So *that's* what I am! When people see my food choices, they most often think I'm a vegetarian or vegan, and I always have to say, "No, I do eat some fish and dairy." Now I know what to call my food lifestyle. Thanks! :D
  • shaninicole
    shaninicole Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean vegan for a little while now.
    I define clean as not overly processed: I rarely eat fake soy meat (I only eat miso & tempeh usually), processed & refined cereals, candy, pop, etc. I rarely eat it if I can't read the ingredients. For flour, focus on whole wheat& sprouted wheat, unless you are gluten sensitive. I use honey (some vegans don't, I currently do), maple syrup & agave. It's less processed & contains other minerals. Some people follow the 'no more than 5 ingredient rule'

I do buy alternative milks and tempeh on a regular basis. They contain ingredients I can't say but I'm not ready to give them up.

You have to decide how you will define eating clean for yourself. It would probably change over time. & It's okay to have treats here and there! I have unclean food sometimes:P

My diet is mostly whole unrefined foods:
    quinoa, lentils, rice, nuts, nut butter, hummus, beans, seeds & lots of fruits & vegetables. Mushrooms contain protein!
    Foods that are awesome for nutrients the vegan diet is low in are: kale, chia seeds, lentils, hemp protein powder.
    I eat a lot of stir-fries, salads, smoothies & soup.

You probably know this, but make sure your vit D, vitB12, iron, calcium and protein intake is high enough.

I hope that helped a bit! Feel free to ask me questions.

Someone who finally stuck to topic and helped this girl out...thank you!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do question the studies that show vegans/vegetarians living longer as compared to who exactly? People who eat the typical western diet, or do they actually compare them to people who eat a balanced diet? Maybe someone should start up another thread discussing this. As for the actual intended topic:
    But the best ways to get protein and nutrients from foods like beans and rice, is to ferment them rather than cook them. If you want them hot, soak them for a couple of days and then cook them. You want to break down the starches and get rid of any anti-nutrients that would keep your body from absorbing the nutrients. Cooking veggies actually do help with absorbing nutrients, but you want to either microwave, bake or steam. Frying and boiling will kill any nutrients you needs. Iron is very difficult to get from plant products, so be sure to include vitamin C when eating leafy greens to help in the absorption. Good luck in going vegan, not my thing, but kodus to you.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Clean eating in general is pretty vague. This forum has a lot of ravenous hate for clean eaters.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    its unethical
    dirty
    expensive
    and makes me want to vom
    however if i really need to i'll sometimes have seafood when eating out as not a lot of places do vegan food

Also now two longterm studies showing vegetarians live longer than those who eat meat, which is another good reason.

http://www.examiner.com/article/vegetarians-and-vegans-live-longer-healthier-lives-and-weigh-less-say-studies-1

I am sure those with more access to research papers will be able to find better sources.

If I couldn't eat meat, I don't think I would WANT to live longer.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Could we just get back to saying what I can and can't have instead of discussing something that's off topic ?

No set in stone rules, but basically:

Yes:
    Whole, unprocessed plant based foods, like fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, whole grains.

No:
    Anything with ingredients you can't pronounce without a degree in chemistry
    Oils
    Refined carbohydrates, like flour, sugar, etc.
    Dead animals
    Animal secretions.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big believer in 'rules' but Brendan Brazier and Rip Esselstyn have eating plans in their books/websites that are pretty clean.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    its unethical
    dirty
    expensive
    and makes me want to vom

I would attribute a lot of that to just "vegetarians eat less calories", since reducing your caloric intake dramatically during and past middle age extends the lives of all animals, including humans. Meat-eaters will naturally eat more calories per meal and their whole lives than vegetarians because of the calorie density of animal products, but calorie intake is something that can be controlled.

I'll read more into this, I'm not opposed to vegetarianism and can understand eating vegan for health reasons (I buy my animal products organic & local, which not everyone is able to do). I am, however, deeply suspicious of any studies who have more variables than meat intake and suggest omnivorous animals live longer being not omnivorous, with no other pay-offs.