Cutting carbs and I feel so dizzy...

Options
I'm not following any specific diet, but I have been trying to decrease my carbs. For the last few days I have felt kinda dizzy and shakey. Kinda like you get with low blood sugar, even if I've eaten. Is this normal? Will this pass? My diet log is open if anyone wants to look. I am not carb free, just trying to eat fewer carbs. I had pb and a few saltines and milk this afternoon to see if that would help but I still feel woozy. :sick:

Replies

• JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Why not cut out processed food and keep some healthier carbs?
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Are you staying hydrated?
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open.

Sorry, it was open to friends. It should be open to everyone now.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I second meeper123. Overall, your eats look pretty healthy - but adding some whole grains and other healthy carbs in may help you feel better, too, and keep your energy up!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Why not cut out processed food and keep some healthier carbs?

I don't eat a lot of processed food. I think I am eating healthier carbs (fruit and veggies). I don't even know if it's carb related, or just a bug. I didn't think I was 'low carb' enough to make me feel queasy.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't see why you're attempting low carb though if your diet is relatively clean already.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have plenty of carbs in your diet. Maybe more calories. This site only averages things out. A lot of the time I have to eat a little more than what it says I need; to lose weight. Might want to adjust your activity setting up a notch.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are 701 yesterday and around 1000 more or less the days before. You probably just need to eat. Why are you starving yourself? There is no need for it to lose weight. Try this calculator to see what you really should be eating.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough fat; that is by far the main issue with feeling like crap when you are eating low carb. It's not low FAT and low carb...that would be a mess! :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not following any specific diet, but I have been trying to decrease my carbs. For the last few days I have felt kinda dizzy and shakey. Kinda like you get with low blood sugar, even if I've eaten. Is this normal? Will this pass? My diet log is open if anyone wants to look. I am not carb free, just trying to eat fewer carbs. I had pb and a few saltines and milk this afternoon to see if that would help but I still feel woozy. :sick:

Wasn't able to look at your diary but sometimes, restricting carbs can cause your blood pressure to go down pretty quickly, if you are used to having normal or low blood pressure before you restricted your carbs. (That's why a lower carb--and especially a low sugar---diet is good for those with high blood pressure.) A lower carb diet isn't for everyone (although everyone can and probably should go sugar-free). If you are going to lower carb, you must increase your fat intake (should be "good fats" like nuts and avocados but even an increase in saturated fat, like organic butter, is beneficial). You can go lower carb or you can go lower fat, but you really shouldn't do both--even though there are some here who are doing both. There's no science yet to back this up, but it has been my experience that I must eat fat to get my body to burn fat. Don't ask me why it works--I just know that it works for me and in conferring with other Paleo-Primal-low carbers, I hear the same story. Exercising while doing low carb and low fat will just exhaust you. Low carbers are almost universal in claiming that you must eat more fat if you are going to go lower carb. I just "talked" to a woman yesterday who says that she is losing weight even though she eats 60-70% of her calories in fat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough fat; that is by far the main issue with feeling like crap when you are eating low carb. It's not low FAT and low carb...that would be a mess! :)

THIS

I eat very low carb and very high fat and I'm feeling awesome. But some people get a "carb flu" when they first lower carbs. Nevermind all the people saying "don't do it"; it's the only way of eating that makes me healthy. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for many people.

Edit: best health in years and losing lots of fat and I eat 70-80% of calories from fat.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Everyone I kow that eats 60 to 70 percent fat (that is only good fat) loses weight. I think that is the way we were meant to eat.... good fats and fruits and veggies
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Youre eating way to few calories for starters which will explain the symptoms you are experiencing. I think it would be good for you to actually research (and you can do this here in the forums) and educate yourself on eating healthy. IT would be good for you to add some oats into your diet as your carb intake rather than highly refined and processed saltine biscuits and pretzels. Oats are slow releasing carbs so they will make you feel full for longer and slow release energy throughout the day. I start the morning with oats and that keeps me going for most of the day. I know its a weird concept but reducing your intake (starving) wont make you lose weight in the worse case you will gain weight in best case scenario you'll just stay the same. Your body will go into preservation mode where it will hold fat and fluid and burn muscle. So you will have less energy feel lethargic and lose muscle tone. It took me many years to get my head around this concept and finally I get it. Dont waste time like I did read the forums educate yourself and get on with it.

GoodLuck! :)
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    it looks like you do not have enough fat
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are 701 yesterday and around 1000 more or less the days before. You probably just need to eat. Why are you starving yourself? There is no need for it to lose weight. Try this calculator to see what you really should be eating.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This!!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    You averaged 1300 calories per day.... Add fat... good fat.... grass fed beef, good daily, nuts, avocados oils... etc.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing about oats. I have 1/2 organic rolled oats with 1 tsp sugar and 12 ounces almond milk for breakfast and that keeps me full for a good couple of hours. She needs some heavy food
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're averaging more carbs than I am, and I'm not eating low carb. :smile: Maybe it's calories, or hydration? You aren't eating very many calories and are burning quite a few.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this myself great tips than!