Veggies! Which ones do you love and how do you prepare them?

Options
124»

Replies

• KenzDoc
    KenzDoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato, mashed, with a tiny amount of smart balance and cinnamon.

Zucchini is my other favorite. I will combine it other veggies such as squash or onion, with a little bit of coconut oil. I also sometimes use sliced zucchini as my 'pizza crust', adding light tomato sauce, shredded cheese and pepperoni.

I love all vegetables actually - eat them mostly raw or steamed.
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I pretty much throw a handful of baby spinach in whatever I'm eating- sandwiches, eggs, pasta sauce, pizza. It works in everything really.

I eat a lot of raw carrot and celery and always have steamed broccoli on hand to add to meals. I also love red onions and capsicum and throw those into most things I cook
    Interesting!, how do you steam broccoli? on a steamer?

you can use a steamer, but be careful not to overcook it. I steam in a wok with a lid. you can use a fry pan to just be sure its a pan that can handle being heated dry. just add a lttle tiny bit of water (too much and it boils instead, the idea is the water instantly turns to steam in the hot pan) and snap the lid back on, repeat until tender crisp, about one minute.
  • mommapilks
    mommapilks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.prouditaliancook.com/2010/05/tiny-tomatoes-big-taste.html

This is another new fave of mine- I microwave the zucchini for a couple of minutes after hollowing it out and then add the tomatoes and I use low fat italian blend cheese then broil it for a super quick dish.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Cut into pieces and eaten raw whilst I'm supposed to be preparing something cooked.

I couldn't cook at all if I didn't have the raw stuff to eat. I just can't do it.

Things I love: broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, cabbage, kale, onion, garlic - oh, stuff it. Let's be honest here.

I have not yet found a vegetable that I didn't like. Some have to be cooked (lightly steamed), most raw. But I can't think of one I don't like.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I steam a bag of baby carrots and add in some brocolli every few days. Dump the carrots in the steamer with a bit of water, add a bit of chicken bouillon powder. While that steams about ten minutes, I get my brocolli ready, add it and let everything steam another ten minutes of so. I keep it in a big Pyrex bowl, so I can just grab and heat in the microwave. I do a lot of frozen dinners, so I'll just add my veggies on top of whatever I'm having the last minute.

I like grilled squash of any kind. Been meaning to get some brussels sprouts and cabbage to steam. (Not together.) I've steamed aspargus as well. I also like just plain old canned French cut green beans, with a tiny of fat free Italian dressing.
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Loving steamed/boiled broccoli with olive oil and lemon juice at the moment!
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm also a great salad maker. I actually got started on this weight loss journey last summer when I was craving salad. I keep lettuce in my vintage Tupperware lettuce keeper. I put a bit of Green Goddess (or light Asian Sesame if I don't want the extra fat/calories from regular dressing) in the bottom of the bowl. Add my lettuce, then I add whatever I have around. I keep real bacon bits, the lower fat kind, made from shoulder. 1 tsp is 30 calories. I like a little crunch, so I'll add a cranberry walnut salad topper if I have it on hand. Crushed baked Tostitos if I don't. Maybe some water chestnuts or carrots or both. 3 black olives sometimes. Almost always 1/2 cup or so of chopped mushrooms. Tomatoes. If I'm having the salad with an entree, that's all I do, but if I'm just having the salad, I'll add leftover chicken or maybe surami or frozen shrimp. Once in a while, I'll add avocado.

I made one of my "big salads" for my girlfriends at our Christmas lunch. They said it was the best salad they'd ever eaten.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Latest way that I prepare broccoli is ...

Florets tossed in olive oil, placed spread out on a baking sheet with raw sliced garlic. After about 30 minutes of baking it is ready to toss in lemon juice and parm cheese and I put it back into the oven for about 5 minutes while I toast pine nuts and sprinkle on at the end.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Roasted broccoli - toss florets in garlic-infused olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; roast at 375 until edges are brown

Zucchini bread - enough said. I'm making chocolate zucchini muffins RIGHT NOW

Raw carrots - perfect as is

Shaved brussels sprouts - pan-roasted in olive oil and garlic

French beans - lightly steamed with light lemon, olive oil, and garlic dressing

Asparagus - grilled and drizzled with olive oil

Green peas - gently heated with butter and thyme
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I used to hate vegetables as a child and was virtually carnivorous if it wasn't for bread and butter - I was a fat child!

Then I learned how to cook vegetables lightly for myself and I absolutely love them all - which is good because I'm now vegan.

Sweet potatoes and courgettes, lightly oiled with olive oil and grilled until just browned and served with wholegrain rice.

Steamed broccoli - lightly stemed in a three tier steamer with rice in the boiling water pan and broccoli in the top and carrots lightly steaming in the middle tier. Served with lightly boiled green beans or butter beans and a dash of soy sauce.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Love all veggies steamed or juiced!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic & all the great ideas... I love spinach salads & raw carrots.

Now I'll have to try some roasting, sounds delish!