IS YOUR JOB PHYSICAL!

Options
I have a very physical job for about 7 hours a day , and its really hard on me kind of but i do it for the money Should i still exersize even if i have a really physical job or is to much!?!? very confused!!! And do yall have physical jobs?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    My job is half super easy and half fairly physical. I drive 30-40% of my day and the rest of it is carrying around a ladder and walking around/bending over on a roof.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I help take care of 10 toddlers for 8 hours a day...definitely physical!! I still do Zumba 3 times a week and strength train 3 times a week.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I serve tables... i wore my hrm one friday evening and burned 1200 calories in 4 hours. Serving is pretty physical. I still workout though, & look forward to it.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    it can be depending where I get put..and yes you should definitely exercise if you have a physical job. Most of the time physical jobs are physical in the "bad" kind of way, where you are doing the same movement over and over again and it can hurt them
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh and im a dishwasher at a busy restaurant!
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It was very physical. I was a horse breeder, which means I had a lot of young ones. And all of the work involved in caring for large numbers of horses. Now I just have a relatively large number of horses to tend and keep, so it's moderately physical. I need to exercise now because it's not that taxing, but a few years ago I didn't need to. And a few years ago I was in my 50's. My day was long and physical. Any additional exercise would probably have done me in.:wink:
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When my restaurant gets busy, its very physical.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would definately still exercise! I am a nurse, and my job can be physically demanding. Also, since I've lost weight, it seems that I always end up getting patients at opposite ends of the hall!!! Lol. I don't mind, it just helps me get in some extra steps. I know I don't work that often, at this time, but I can say that I have never been able to lose weight by not exercising, no matter what I did at work. Unless you're a professional tri-athlete, lol, you should still exercise. Most likely your heart rate does not stay very elevated for very long periods. It most likely increases a little, and drops for a while, based on what you're doing, but is most likely not sustained. When I workout, my HR can get as high as 150, with zumba, and even as high as 200, with some things, and it's elevated for a steady 30-60min's. If you can do this at work, then maybe you don't need to exercise. :smile:
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom, so yes--physical. Playing with kids, walking to the park, lifting a toddler (or occasionally a preschooler), carrying toddler, groceries, laundry, etc. up the stairs...

I'd still exercise, to get those muscle groups that you don't use in your job, to increase flexibility, and for cardio health.

When I finish CNA training next term (and when I'm doing my clinicals), my job will be even more demanding--still doing the mom thing, but also helping patients in/out of bed, carrying/lifting things, on my feet all day... But I'll still work out.
  • backathome
    Options
    Unfortunately not :( have just started a full time reception job so will be struggling with it a bit. My previous jobs I was at least on my feet, walking around the store all shift
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am a host at a restaurant training into being a server. It's physical but I'm a bit at a loss for how much to eat as at my last few jobs I was even more physical. I worked at horse barns so i was working 12 hour days 6+ days a week cleaning stalls, riding, etc.

Now at the restaurant I've been working out 6 days a week, strength mostly with some cardio. I had a hard time squeezing it in with the horse stuff but still worked out when I could. There isn't really such a thing as being too active, though there may be a bit of trial and error figuring out how many calories you need.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am a restaurant manager and lift a lot, lots of bending and walking. I wear my pedometer at work and average 4-6 miles a day. I personally don't log my work, but if I didn't exercise, I would consider logging it
  • jecka93
    jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I lift boxes etc and walk for the entire time.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My job involves lifting up to 40kg, pulling, twisting and something akin to dancing. I exercise too. My job is my job and I would not log it as exercise.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,887 Member
    Options
    Since you didn't say what your job is it is hard to say. But unless you are hitting all of the major muscle groups and getting enough cardio, I would have to say yes. And if you believe you are meeting all of the above, then I would say yoga is a must. :)
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    my job is very physical some days and down right boring on others. Im a lumber grader so I am flipping lumber for 8 hours. when we are running 2 x 10 20' boards its quite the upper body workout to flip those at a nice rate of one board per second. however on 2 x 4 8' I pull up a chair and watch the boards go by, flipping the odd one here and there. I try to get a workout in at work, doing pushups or tricep dips on down-time but I still do my Insanity at home before work.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I work on a hospital ward for 12.5 hrs at a time.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm going to burn a lot of calories at work today watching my usual bar rescue marathon.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm a sheep farmer - I use 'lightly active; eg postman' to set my TDEE and I eat back half my excercise cals (cos I think MFP overestimates)

I dont know what I'll do at shearing time and lambing (I lamb outside so there is quite a bit of chasing down lambs to do). I guess I'll just play it by ear, I'm often too busy to do much else anyway.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I help take care of 10 toddlers for 8 hours a day...

you're very brave

1 toddler runs me ragged