Coffee creamer, help!

Options

Replies

• Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good coffee is an essential nutrient, right? :wink:

^^^this.LOL

I use 1 or 2% milk in my coffee. Right now I am trying to wean off the splenda I put in it, but if I can't do without the sweetness, then I will factor table sugar into my calories.
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really like the SF vanilla Coffee Mate. I use a whopping 3 Tbsp in each large mug of coffee, and I actually pull out a measuring spoon and measure it. I am working on bringing that amount down - VERY VERY slowly. Right now I fill my measuring spoon so it's not quite full. I figure that if I put a teeny bit less in every morning, I'll soon be ok with 2 Tbsp. Then 1. And then switch to plain half and half (or, even better, the skim milk that already is in my fridge). I'm also a firm believer in what others have said - sometimes, you just have to have what you like, and make up the calorie difference elsewhere.

One other thing to try is flavored coffee. Starbucks has a few types - I don't believe they add a LOT of flavor, but more than if you just drank plain coffee.
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was having the exact same issue and refuse to use artificial sweetner. I did a google search and started making my own. I use 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk and 2 cups whole milk to make a 32 oz bottle. Add whatever flavor extracts you like. I switch between vanilla and hazelnut. It's 25 calories per tablespoon which gets you down to 100 calories and if you use skim, 2% or almond milk you can get the calorie count down even further. There are several other recipes out there for making your own, google is a wonderful thing :smile:
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I used to hate black coffee...but I forced myself to drink it black for a couple of weeks and now it's pretty good and I don't mind it at all!

However, when I'm looking for a bit of flavor, I do add about .3 cup of soy milk/skim milk (whichever you prefer). Only about 30 calories.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting back the amount of creamer? I can't do black coffee and I like my coffee extremely sweet, but I cut the amount of sugar and creamer I use in half and I still enjoy it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you find a really good coffee, then drinking it black will make the earth move for you.

This, this and this.

If you can't hack the thought of your "coffee' without adding something else to it you're not trying "real" coffee. Try a different brand, try a different roast, try getting whole beans and grinding them yourself just when you're about to make the coffee as opposed to the big tub of pre-ground.. Lots of coffees from lots of different places.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If you find a really good coffee, then drinking it black will make the earth move for you.

Or, you could try almond milk (they have flavoured kinds, but I prefer the unsweetened one). Or, try brewing your coffee with a tiny pinch of cinnamon in it.

^^ I agree with this, Trader Joes also has a gluten free organic hazelnut creamer that's low in carbs/cals etc
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and a pump of flavored starbucks syrup. (1 pump is only 2o calories)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I use any of the International Delight flavors, currently on hand-- White Chocolate Mocha. 1 tablespoon is only 35 calories, 15 from fat. VERY workable.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free hazelnut creamer and also sugar free italian creme...they are yum and frankly you don't need any sweetener with them they are already sweet.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk and splenda. Artificial creamers taste funny to me (but apparently fake sugar does not). A tsp of real sugar would add that many calories either.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Sorry if somebody already said this, but I use Silk French Vanilla coffee creamer. It's 20 cals a tablespoon. If you don't mind the taste of soy, then I think you'd like it :)
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Need some suggestions for what to put in my coffee. I only drink two cups a day, and currently use Coffeemate Natural Bliss Sweet Cream, 2 tbls. in each cup. Well, good grief, that's 140 calories!!!! I've experimented with other sweeteners/lightners but prefer not to use anything artificial. I wish I could just drink it black, but then coffee has no appeal to me whatsoever! Help!

I was in your boat for a long time. I tried each and every answer listed here. I am lucky in that I don't like sweet coffee but I need it to be creamy so none of the fat free answers worked. I'm picky with my consistency too. Here's the best answer I found and it's cheap!

2008dmu.jpg
  • phxricky
    phxricky Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use Atkins protein vanilla shake.. makes for an awesome coffee
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure it's GOOD coffee. No Folgers.
  • Mlbutlertn
    Mlbutlertn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try "So Delicious" brand of coconut milk creamer. Comes in Hazelnut, French Vanilla or plain flavors. Dairy free, soy free, made from coconut milk. No artificial sweeteners, but yet low in sugar. Very few ingredients. 20 calories per TBSP. love them!! Can be found at local grocery store!
  • Jshallow
    Jshallow Posts: 1
    Options
    I put my vanilla protein powder in it. It tastes like creamer and sugar added. You just need to make sure that the one you use doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it because they can actually scorch if the coffee is too hot. It mixes much smoother hot.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love Torani sugar free Vanilla or Hazelnut. I like it because it doesn't have that chemical taste that splenda or stevia have. And it's 0 calories!

^This
    Just recently I have discovered Torani sugar free vanilla syrup. Love, love, love it! That & unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee make a great treat. They make lots of different sugar free flavors.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I feel your pain. I love coffee and also stick to 1-2 cups per day, normally one. I know I shouldn't, but I use Splenda and lowfat non-dairy creamer. It has 10 calories per teaspoon. I really wish I could drink it black, but I have tried.
  • LJ3434
    LJ3434 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2012/10/31/pumpkin-mocha-spice-latte-big-giveaway/

I found this...it tasted more like a coffee with creamer than a latte, but still good and you can use sugar instead of an artificial sweetener. I used to LOVE tons of sugar and cream, but gradually decreased what I added to my coffee. Now I do one flavored creamer and if I have another cup its always black. Try a light roast flavored coffee.