Quit Smoking Today

Options
2»

Replies

• mordacious
    mordacious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I quit back in October after smoking for 15 years. I would highly recommend the smoking cessation forum on about.com.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ab-quitsmoking
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    On Quitting Smoking better known as taking back the power. (Edit post)
    Posted on my blog 02/22/2013 by Angeloftheshore

I recently had a friend request from a person who was quitting smoking and she had apparently seen my on the message board commenting tips to another MFP member. She asked me for some advice and tips and somehow my message back to her ended up being my monologue of my quitting smoking journey. Something I had never done before. I mean yeah obviously my family and friends know about my journey and I have given tips to people since. But never really opened up about the process and how painful it was at times. My new friend said she felt ANY person who wants to quit should read my story. So for the even remote possibility that I can reach out and help someone who wants out of the smoking addiction, and also for myself, because I am proud of what I went through and where I ended up. I will post my story here. Edited for a few spelling errors and a slight bit of bad language.

It started as a journey to quit smoking cigarette's but ended up being a journey of me taking back my life, my body and my power. Take a deep breath and begin....

"Hi! I am happy you added me as a friend and I am happy you are quitting. This may ramble a bit but I want to give as much help as I can and so I will just go with the flow of things I remember that I did and how I felt.

First let me start by saying I loved smoking. I loved the calming effect I thought it had on me, loved the inhale and exhale of the smoke, it was like yoga to my mind. So quitting was going to be no easy task. I failed at my first attempt by thinking a substitute would make me break the addiction. I failed at my second attempt by thinking the actual addiction was not as strong as it was. I learned very quickly I had to be stronger than it. I had to be stronger, even when it was painful (will discuss that later). I tell you I failed, not because I think you will. I tell you I failed, so hopefully you will not make the same mistakes as I did.

So day one and first attempt, I tried smoking the smokeless water vapor no nicotine cigarette's (ecigarette's aka electronic cigarette's). Well, what happened is that I craved the nicotine so much I puffed those babies hard and smoked a lot more trying to get my fix. They gave me a horrible sore throat, I mean really bad. And I figured smoking in extra tar is no better than the nicotine, even if it was not the addictive part. I was smoking in a ton of tar and whatever else they put in them. Plus heated vapor. It all seemed very messed up and was only creating it's own problems. I tried this form, at this time though, not to quit smoking, but to make my house smoke free because....

My husband is Navy and he had been away at a training facility for a couple months with Marines. Well, they had him out doing their PT (physical fitness) and their PT was more extreme than the Navy's, lots of running. My husband fell in love with running there, and in turn quit smoking there himself, cold turkey. So he could breathe better to run. He decided he wanted to be a distance runner. So he came home smoke free. And....

My 4lb Chihuahua was suffering badly from smoke in the house. After a few hours of me smoking in the morning, she would leave the room, stand outside the door and bark. I looked up some info and find out that it is usually a way an animal tries to tell you there is danger and you need to move away from the area (like a fire). So she sense danger by me. Plus she coughed all the time. So....

I decided that the house needed to be smoke free, for them.

But the ecigarrette's failed miserably. But they did do one thing. They made me realize I am an addict. No different from a friend I helped get off cocaine other than it's legality. It still can kill you, Still makes you sick, Still impairs abilities, Still affects your organs and Still can take many years off your life. I realized the hard truth that I am an addict. That made me angry, very angry. I have never been a person who let things control me like that. I instantly felt like a slave to it. So I started looking at the savings that my husband not anymore smoking was adding to our budget and how much more it could be if I quit too. I thought of all the things that cash could go towards. Then I saw him run his first 1/2 marathon and cried because I got winded just taking trash out at times (also of course affected by my weight and lack of physical fitness at the time, but still a contributing factor). I saw him loving it and I got angrier at smoking, at myself that I was an addict. I already knew I wanted to get back into shape because I had been most of my life but when I married a military guy the stress and sometimes loneliness of moving around and having to make friends all over again just put me in a bad place and eating and the computer became life for me. Then my husband and I decided to sit down and watch an episode of Biggest Loser. Jillian Michael's said something to a contestant about taking control of their own life and something clicked, no, more like hit me with a large sledge hammer. So I decided enough was enough, it was time to take control back of me, my life, my mood, my body, etc.....

So quitting part 2 began. I bought the patch system to quit. All started well enough, withdrawal, hunger pangs, mood swings, etc aside, it was as it would be with a drug addict. But then I decided I was smarter than the patch, smarter than the smokes, smarter than anything. I decided I was going to smoke 3 cigarettes a day because I was so addicted the patch alone at first was not going to work, for me. So I decided ...1 when I woke up, 1 after lunch and 1 after dinner or before bed. My husband freaked because it is very dangerous to smoke while on the patch so I made a deal with him that I would take the patch off a half hour before smoking and I decided not to wear it at night (bad dreams and restless sleep it caused plus I figured I did not smoke when I sleep anyway). I WILL STATE THIS IN HUGE LETTERS....WHAT I DID WAS HUGELY DANGEROUS AND I COULD HAVE STROKED OUT OR HAD A HEART ATTACK. EVEN THOUGH I TOOK THE PATCH OFF PRIOR TO SMOKING I STILL HAD THE PATCHES STEADY STREAM OF NICOTINE RUNNING THROUGH ME. IT STATES RIGHT IN THE DIRECTIONS...DO NOT SMOKE WHILE ON THE PATCH. I said that in huge letters so you won't do it. I admit now that when I did have a cigarette at those times, my heart rate increased. I could have killed myself. I was very very lucky.

Anyway as I am sure you can guess, this plan did not work. I just wanted more cigarettes and it was not helping with the physical addictive part of holding a cigarette while doing something. So one day while my husband was at work I broke down crying, threw the patch away and said I can't do this and proceeded to smoke an entire pack of cigarettes. When my husband came home. I told him, I quit quitting, and he went out and bought me another pack. Later I realized he did this to make me think, and it did. During the smoking of that pack I went through more emotions than I ever have in my life. It was horrible, beautiful and tragic. I realized I was spending my last moments with my dearest friend, a friend I was saying my final goodbye to.

When I finished the pack other than one cigarette that was left, I crushed it, decided enough was enough. The experience I had just gone through was enough to tell me my life belonged to a pack of cigarettes not to me. And I was done, no matter what I would have to go through, I was done. I crushed that cigarette, threw it and the pack away, threw out all the ashtrays and sat down to make a cleaning list for my house to get rid of the smell. I had been on step two of three of the patch and I decided to go back to step two. I wore step two for 2 days and said, no, I do not want anymore nicotine going through my body anymore. I threw the patches away and went cold turkey. For almost two weeks I lived like what I felt a junkie must feel like when they can't get a fix. I was moody, angry, mean at times, no patience with anything or anyone, even twitchy and shaky like a junkie. I slept a lot, and I recommend it because you sleep through the worst of it. The stress would not let me stay awake so I did not need a sleep aid. I cried a lot. I said I am going to fail a lot. That made me angrier and more determined I would succeed. I knew if I beat this, I could overcome anything.

It was the worst and best experience of my life.
    I can honestly tell you I am no longer a smoker and never will be again. For one thing, I would never ever want to go through that again lol. And also, nothing, NOTHING should ever have that kind of control over you, ever.

Breathe....
    So my tips and tricks.....

-The computer was a horrible place for me to be since I smoked there and was online a lot. So reluctantly I knew I had to get the heck away from it. For how long I had no clue, all I knew is that sitting there made me want to smoke. It ended up being around two months I had to give up the computer.

- But the computer was not the only thing. Sitting, anywhere for any length of time was rough. So change of routine is a must. Sitting through a movie, or even a TV show very hard. So don't plan on sitting much and don't try and force yourself to, it will only get harder to control the need for a smoke. If you work at a desk you must get something for your hands to play with, one of those hand exercisers, a ball, whatever. Also, if you work, something to chew on, gum, a straw maybe, (I did use the nicotine gum for a short time and it does help, BUT it's still nicotine so you have to wean off and I myself found I am not a weaner lol and why give yourself nicotine when you want off nicotine). Be patient with it, eventually you will get back to the computer and TV ;)

- Get outside as much as possible. I found nature helped me a whole lot. Breathing fresh air was amazingly helpful. Plus it was distracting from anything that caused stress. I took up hiking at this time because I fell in love with walking trails. But even when I did not have time to take a long walk away from home. If I felt the urge to smoke I got up and went out for a 15 minute walk. Some days I went for 6 or 7 walks. The get up and do something else, any thing else from what you are doing is kind of like rebooting your brain.

- Take showers, lots of them. Especially if it's too cold out to get out or the weather is bad. The shower obviously gives you a cleansed feeling and once again distracts you from what you were wanting.

- Have healthy snacks around that are VERY low calorie. I say that because at first I had healthy ones, but they were not all that low cal, like nuts. But you will want to snack a lot, and may even binge a bit. So keep your fridge and cupboards free from danger foods lol. Some of my favorites were ; Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Plain Rice Cakes (plain, because of the "you may eat too many" thing and the others are higher calorie), Roasted Chic Peas, Cherry Tomatoes, Snap Peas, Peppers.....whatever has crunch. Try and stick with very low calorie items.

- This will sound silly because this is a fitness website we are talking on but ....work out! A lot, with whatever you can handle. Be careful it can become very addicting during quitting smoking because your hormones are all off balance and it's a good anger outlet. The first week I quit I think I was getting up and doing something every half hour or so. Even if it was just crunches or jumping jacks. It keeps you busy and is an optimal time to focus on overall health and fitness. After all you are going to preform better the longer you are off the smoking habit.

- Go get your teeth cleaned at the dentist or buy one of those at home kits. And get a softer tooth brush because for a while brushing more often helps you mentally get that taste out of your mouth. Remember for a few weeks the tar and nicotine will be leaving your body which is why showers and teeth brushing is awesome.

- Another thing that may sound silly, but get up, get yourself pulled together even if you don't feel like it. Pretty yourself up just for no reason in particular. This will make you feel better, stand prouder and give you a sense of accomplishment.

- Buy flowers for the house and even room fresheners. Make your house smell like nature. Even if you did not smoke in the house. The fresh scents will lift your mood.

- Plan to celebrate in some ways. Like dinner out when you survived a week, a manicure after 2 weeks, etc..... It can be a s small or as big as you can do. But it should be special things you don't always get to do, or things that make you feel reallly good.

- Plan to avoid friends and family that do smoke. Sad to say but they will not be good for you for the first month or so. Even if they don't smoke in front of you, they will smell like smoke and you will crave it like you cannot even believe. You will actually feel hungry for it. So depending on how co-operative your friends and family are that do smoke, hopefully they will understand. And if they must see you. ask them politely to bathe and shampoo and not smoke after they bathe and shampoo till after your visit with them.

(Side note...I went to our pool here at our apartment complex after quitting and I was about three weeks into it. I had not smelled a cigarette since I quit and someone lit up. I wanted to tackle her for her smokes lol. So I left the pool and went back later. Still to this day I occasionally smell it out of the blue)

- You will go through stages of cravings. At first you will want a smoke and the want will last a long time, then will pass. Eventually those craving moments will get shorter and shorter. Now after almost a year I will, in a stressful situation say I want a cigarette. And then I laugh, because it's a memory of what I would have craved, but the craving is not actually there anymore. So yes, the craving goes away into a memory. Now I can sit right next to a smoker and not want one. It actually just reinforces that I don't. That smell gets back on you, and it's yucky. It smells dirty to me now, like how a fire would smell after the flames are out.

Most of all be patient with your moods. They will pass, ride it out, don't buckle. You will feel that the emotion, the crave will not end unless you get a smoke, but it will end without that smoke and you will be proud and you will realize just how strong you are, just how much you are capable of. You will be ready to take on the world. Let fitness and hobbies be your new best friends. Learn how to do new things while you are quitting.

And just a funny about me, because I was a smoker and as heavy a smoker for so long what I am about to tell you are the three biggest things I learned and had to deal with....

1. When I quit, I felt mentally challenged and that is not to insult anyone. I could not think straight. I went into the kitchen and making dinner was hard because I could not organize my thoughts without a smoke. IT WILL PASS. Just be patient with yourself. We ate PB&J a few times for dinner because I just could not cope. But it will pass and eventually you will actually think quicker and sharper.

2. Smoking was my crutch. My crutch for every single thing in life that was hard to deal with. When I wanted to cry I smoked, when I was angry I smoked. When I wanted to stay awake I smoked. When I was frustrated with myself I smoked. When you quit, that's gone. And there is nothing else to replace it. Well there is, you could turn to food, drugs, etc... But if you really want to heal, learn to cope without any of that help. This is the hurt part I spoke of earlier. There are so many things from my past I realize now I never would have tolerated for as long as I did if I did not smoke. and that includes a bad relationship, Smoking helped me hide, helped me live with crap. But now, now I am empowered. Now I reallllllly live, and live for me and take no ^%#* (excuse the language). I am more outspoken and straight forward. I have learned to temper it a bit from when I first quit lol. I was pretty harsh at first. But all in all I am a more openly honest person and my coping skills are better than they ever were. Because now I am relying on myself instead of a cigarette. And a cigarette has no clue what will make me a happy person, only I know that.

3. And this is a weird one. I touched on it briefly before and compared it to yoga. The inhale and exhale. When you do it with a cigarette you are releasing all that stresses you, it is almost a meditative action, a zen moment. You do not realize this till you quit. You will crave that because it's hard to find a substitute for it. The closest I have found is in Yoga, in nature, in just going outside and breathing deeply. I think this aspect is very individual but hopefully I have given you a feeling of a start for what will recreate that feeling, but in a healthy way. I am now finding dance, zumba and perhaps Tai Chi may also give a similar feeling.

Anyway I know this was long, but I hope helpful. If you have any questions or want to use me as a sounding board please let me know. I will give as much encouragement to you along the way as I can ;)

*Hugs* "

I hope this maybe will help someone, not only to quit smoking but to take control of their own destiny and choices. Nothing should control you. Not a bad relationship, not a bad friendship, not a bad job, and not a cigarette!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am 1 yr 2 months a non-smoker after 27 years of smoking! just realized it had been that long. I quit on champix and an electric cigarette (which I still have and use if I really need to). Champix for 6 months and the electric cigarette without the nicoteen all the way through and up to now when needed. I really do not miss it and I think it is because I was actually ready to quit this time. I had tried at least 2 dozen times over the years and it never stuck, but this time it was different. I just did it and it was SOOO easy. not sure exactly why but like I said I must have been ready. I can even go out for smoke breaks with my friends and not crave one. I just smoke my "fake" smoke to fit in (haha). Good luck with your journey, because that is what it truly is. never quit quitting, it will work one day!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I am taken aback by all the responses, tips and support. Thank you so much!

It has been really difficult, I caved and had 3 cigarettes but that's a lot less than yesterday and the day before that (and so on and so forth).

Anyone who has quit or is trying - please don't hesitate to add me. I could use all the support I can get!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for over a year now (part from a few sneekys after have a few to many wines :smokin: )is hard but it does get easier and i will be the best thing you ever do for yourself!

My best advice is to avoid drinking as much as possible this was always by weak point, Just until you can get a handle on cravings!

Good luck and feel free to add me for extra support!

you can do this!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Why don't all the current smoker and us ex smoker start a group and we can all join in and lend support!

That could really help great thinking
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I quit 30 th dec last year, Id smoked a pack a day for 23 years. I went cold turkey about the second week i literally started becoming a nutcase, i was angry snappy rude pure evil, I went on patches and occasionally gum, phew i made it this far, i still struggle I hate it its the hardest think i have ever done. Congrats to everyone here, who is quitting or who has.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    Fantastic!!! That is such a huge step in taking care of your health. Congratulations and I wish you the very best on this journey.
  • MtnGirl525
    Options
    When I quit 4 years ago I adopted a mantra:
    "The ONLY way to make this terrible feeling go away is to NOT SMOKE!"

...and that's 100% true. The minute you cave or "cheat" you start over from square 1 with the cravings and the wrestling with self control. I don't know about you, but I only wanted to quit smoking once. After day 3, it gets exponentially easier.

Hang in there. Drink a ton of water.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    8 days ago I threw my pack away after I watched my husband, on oxygen b/c of smoking related illness walk outside with his oxygen and light up a smoke. Yep. That's not for me. :)

Way to go! Keep up the awesome work. You deserved so much more
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Just keep on! I'm 7 months and 15 days smoke free. Feel free to add me.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I just quit on Friday after heavy smoking for 13 years, and it is not so bad really. I am on medication to help the cravings and am chewing a lot of gum! The more I exercise the more I don’t want a cigarette. I have smoking induced asthma and it makes working out difficult. If I want to get in shape I HAD to quit smoking. We can do this!!!! Smoking is disgusting and immature!!

Do yoga!
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 32 years. You can do this! January 4, 2013 was my four year anniversary of quitting.
  • kimmyrn42
    kimmyrn42 Posts: 30
    Options
    Dixie that's awesome! I quit five years ago and never looked back. It was the best decision I've ever made. Fight through the cravings...I used the patch for a month. I also used suckers when the cravings were really bad. Good luck!!
  • kerribrumley
    kerribrumley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 5 weeks ago after smoking about half a pack a day for 14 years. I COULD NOT have done it without my e-cigarette! I was ready to quit, but i reallly really liked smoking! so i had been procrastinating. The ecigarette still gave me the physical action of smoking and inhaling and exhaling so it worked! I have also found it helps me with my sweet cravings too because i have flavors like Watermelon and SweetTarts! It has been so easy, and believe me, I never thought i would say that!
    Congratulations! i hope this helps!
  • kerribrumley
    kerribrumley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like i told Dixie, you should really look into getting an e-cigarette or Evape.. since you still have the physical motion of smoking and inhaling and exhaling it really helps. I am currently at a 12 level on my nicotine. I actually enjoy "vaping" because of the flavors. I never thought i could diet and quit smoking at the same time without killing someone! :happy: but it has been awesome! whenever i would have cravings at first I just would immediately "vape" and the craving would go away. My husband has cigarettes in the house all the time and I haven't given into temptation at all. Which for me, that is amazing because I don't usually have alot of willpower!
    I wish you the best of luck! I feel and smell much better! haha!
  • zahidmahfooz
    zahidmahfooz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

You can do it.....i had my last smoke Aug 30th, 2011 after 8 years of smoking.