Sodium? - is it important to meet the target set

Options
Hi I am new to this and there is soooo much information my brain hurts sometimes, but i love this site. Please can anyone tell me if you have to meet, or at least get close to all of your macro targets in particular sodium as i never get near this.

Thank you Annie

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    i always thought the goal was to be as far away from it as possible? :indifferent:
  • kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i don't think i have ever stayed within the sodium one. I don't really know what to tell you though, because although I have lost 15 lbs., my losing has slowed to a crawl lately. I'm trying to cut back on salt to see if that will help. I have noticed that I have to drink a lot of water to help counteract the sodium/bloating effect though.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Nope, better to be UNDER on sodium, if possible. Definitely try not to go over.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    it makes sence to be under sodium but why does it state so high, from what i have read (so far) people seem to say that you should try and reach the macros stated. Very confused :(
  • babydiego87
    Options
    it makes sence to be under sodium but why does it state so high, from what i have read (so far) people seem to say that you should try and reach the macros stated. Very confused :(
    dont go over it. under = good, over = bad. not much else to say
  • grapefruitannie
    Options

That would be the same with everything then? Don't go over it don't go under it not much else to say?
  • babydiego87
    Options

That would be the same with everything then? Don't go over it don't go under it not much else to say?
    everyone's bodies are different and respond differently. i personally try to stay under carbs as much as possible (i dont do low carb however) because i know it bloats me. generally i try to hit or be slightly under the goals. protein wise you'd be wise to get as close to target as possible because foods that are rich in protein fill you up.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    In this case it is better thought of as a limit rather than a goal.
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    Thank you :drinker:
  • vferrarii
    Options
    The USDA recommends for (healthy) people to aim for 2400 mg of Sodium, it is very hard to escape sodium- it is an essential electrolyte, however many of us probably go over that 2400 mg and high NA consumption can lead to increased blood pressure. It's a great goal to aim for 2400 mg or lower! People who have illnesses that require low NA diets such sa CHF or kidney disease aim for 2000 mg of lower- which is also good and okay for healthy people to follow as well. But goodluck! Most of the foods we love have alot of Sodium- since it does help increase shelf life of food products!

Just an example, 1 tsp of salt = 2400 mg of sodium so watch out to all those salt lovers!!! :)
  • Tsmartin07
    Options
    My opinion is that the lower the sodium (1500-2,000), the less water you retain and the cleaner you ending having to eat in order to meet that quota. So,eating healthier goes hand in hand with lowering your sodium.
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    The USDA recommends for (healthy) people to aim for 2400 mg of Sodium, it is very hard to escape sodium- it is an essential electrolyte, however many of us probably go over that 2400 mg and high NA consumption can lead to increased blood pressure. It's a great goal to aim for 2400 mg or lower! People who have illnesses that require low NA diets such sa CHF or kidney disease aim for 2000 mg of lower- which is also good and okay for healthy people to follow as well. But goodluck! Most of the foods we love have alot of Sodium- since it does help increase shelf life of food products!

Just an example, 1 tsp of salt = 2400 mg of sodium so watch out to all those salt lovers!!! :)

Thank you - good job i do not like salt much then lol i will endeavour to stay away from processed foods.

And Thank you everyone elase for taking the time to comment most appreciated :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Bad in what way? Assuming you don't suffer from hypertension or have another medical condition that would warrant you to be mindful of sodium, it is nothing to really worry about
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have read that staying 1500 or less of sodium is best.
  • vferrarii
    Options
    Your very welcome Ann, I am the sodium guru hehe ;)

usda.gov or chooseMyplate.gov has more stuff on sodium if you are interested
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    All macros are not the same. Calorie goal - aim to hit as close as you can. Protein - by and large regard this as a min. Ditto fibre. Sodium is a ceiling that you should try to stay under.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Bad in what way? Assuming you don't suffer from hypertension or have another medical condition that would warrant you to be mindful of sodium, it is nothing to really worry about

Agreed... I have never once worried about sodium, let alone tracked it and it hasn't hurt my weight loss or atleast I don't think it has... I just drink my fair share of water.... Best of Luck
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    2500 mg is the max for sodium, but it's always better to be under. If you can stick closer to 1500 mg, even better.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Addressing the sodium, the current medical recommendation is to NOT go over 1500mg/day. All processed food obviously has lots of sodium, but surprisingly plant food has naturally occurring sodium which is the most beneficial type to get in your diet.
  • grapefruitannie
    Options

Thank you for your input i am trying to understand and ask alot of #why's