Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

The correlation is convenience and price, not the content of the food.

Has this been demonstrated? Is this opinion or do you have a source?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The correlation is convenience and price, not the content of the food.

Has this been demonstrated? Is this opinion or do you have a source?

The fact that excess caloric intake is what causes weight gain.
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For me it's about baby steps I'm not going to go from a lover of pizza to craving broccoli over night, but I do say to each their own I am working on it and I do love that people leave their diaries open so I can get good ideas from them. I don't want to come across as rude but I do think its post like these that's why people leave theirs private.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as it fits into my calorie goal. It's not like I'm never going to eat cake again in my life. It needs to be sustainable. I eat cake, chips, and ice cream. Just in moderation. Eating nothing but junk isn't the best idea, but having it once in a while isn't bad. I had a McChicken yesterday and I'm still losing weight.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

This is a different statement. You are saying people are overeating because it is cheap and easy.

I have seen the hypothesis that, because fast foods are poor in micronutrients, they fail to satiate and cause overeating.

We don't know for sure what the relationship is. We just know that there is one.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This is a different statement. You are saying people are overeating because it is cheap and easy.

Well that part is a supposition, but it's a pretty obvious one.

It's not the fact that the food is processed that is making them gain weight. It's the fact that they're consuming more calories, for whatever reason.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i eat what i like. there is no such thing as "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods. there is only such thing as too much or too little.

"If It Fits Your Macros" and you want to eat it, you can eat it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

this is a much more satisfying and sustainable way to live the rest of your life. you should be able to enjoy your food. there's no reason you have to be miserable on carrots and celery every day for the rest of your life.

chocolate covered cheesecake squares.
    Chocolate_Covered_Cheesecake_Square_01.jpg

OMG I want.... *wiping drool off computer screen*
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

It's not the fact that the food is processed that is making them gain weight. It's the fact that they're consuming more calories, for whatever reason.

I was talking about whether or not there is a correlation between obesity and processed foods. There is. It's pretty predictable.

I will not chase you down another rabbit hole.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If a person goes from eating 3 Big Macs at lunch to 1 Big Mac at lunch, they are most likely going to lose weight. If they replace those 2 Big Macs with a salad or some fresh veggies or fruit, all the better for them. For me, it is more important that I am able to sustain this "diet" and I will not be able to do that if I don't still "get to" eat the things I enjoy. And yep, this is why my diary is private.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    And that factor may be sugar consumption. Researchers are focusing on the eating of sugar (and specifically the metabolizing of the fructose in sucrose) as the underlying factor in "food addiction". http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I was talking about whether or not there is a correlation between obesity and processed foods. There is. It's pretty predictable.

Yep, and one of the main problems with processed foods is their sugar content. Ketchup, for example, has more sugar in it than soda pop does.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

A rabbit hole that you are digging. The correlation is not that it is "processed" but that it is high in calories. Too many calories causes the weight gain not the "processing".
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is the way I see it: It's the calorie deficit that makes you lose weight. That being said, a healthy diet is more fulfilling, more satisfying, and you won't have as many cravings. Also preservatives and chemicals in food react differently in different people. Think of it like an allergy, some people can all the junk they want and have no side effects, others are extremely senstive to them, so some people will get tired, sluggish, sick, rashes, headaches, retain water, get acne, and have trouble losing weight amongst many other symptoms. Every person is different. To each their own. Im on here for a healthy life not just to lose weight so I try to eat as clean as I can. Add me if you want.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't make any difference at all. I get sufficient vitamins and minerals, make sure my macros are met, and my calories are within my allotment. That is all and it works.
    haha this ^^^^^

I'm a junk food junky too. I guess i'd be 'healthier' per se if i were eating better quality foods but the fact is i have proven you CAN lose weight if you stay under your calories and/or macros. Its all about balance andmoderation.
    I admit however that the best way to eat is 80/20. 80 % healthy foods, 20 % cheats to enjoy life a little. It also makes you 'feel' better by eating what is right.
    but that doesnt stop me from eating what i want most of the time or on weeks im craving it constantly.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    A rabbit hole that you are digging. The correlation is not that it is "processed" but that it is high in calories. Too many calories causes the weight gain not the "processing".

Like I said, there are hypotheses about how the "processing" might lead to excess calorie ingestion which then would lead to weight gain. I mentioned the lack of micronutrients. aroundthemulberry bush is talking about high refined sugar content leading to food addiction.

We do not know exactly what the relationship it. But it does exist.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

^^^ THIS. If I completely deprive myself of everything I want all I do is want it more. To make this a lifestyle you have to know one day you will eat a cookie again, or cake. Just not everyday.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    This is the way I see it: It's the calorie deficit that makes you lose weight. That being said, a healthy diet is more fulfilling, more satisfying, and you won't have as many cravings. Also preservatives and chemicals in food react differently in different people. Think of it like an allergy, some people can all the junk they want and have no side effects, others are extremely senstive to them, so some people will get tired, sluggish, sick, rashes, headaches, retain water, get acne, and have trouble losing weight amongst many other symptoms. Every person is different. To each their own. Im on here for a healthy life not just to lose weight so I try to eat as clean as I can. Add me if you want.

Yep.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Like I said, there are hypotheses about how the "processing" might lead to excess calorie ingestion which then would lead to weight gain. I mentioned the lack of micronutrients. aroundthemulberry bush is talking about high refined sugar content leading to food addiction.

We do not know exactly what the relationship it. But it does exist.

So we all agree that calories cause weight gain and weight gain causes health risks. Overeating "healthy" or "unprocessed" foods is still overeating and causes weight gain. Micro nutrients content has little to do with satiation.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You will be better for getting your tastes used to fresh and healthy foods. I was just reading a thread where someone is addicted to ruby red grapefruits and has to eat one every day! Now isn't that a better option for your body than NEEDING chocolate every day?

If you can eat fresh and still enjoy your food, DO IT! I personally would need something "bad" at PMS time, but I don't think it's good for your health to have it all the time. For me, it's not about fat:thin, but rather do I want to be healthy or would I like to increase my chances of cancer by eating all kinds of carcinogens and preservatives and refined sugars?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Disagree. Processed foods have long been available in Asia. Their population seems to do just fine. What they are lacking is a population of 60% overweight and obese people.
    No medical organization will dispute that WEIGHT is the number one predictor of health risk.

Obesity is rising in China alongside fast food market growth.

There does seem to be some relationship between processed foods and weight.

Easily accessible calorie dense food. "Processed food" (whatever that means) is not the what is causing obesity. Obesity is causing the health risks.

You "know" that, do you?