Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.

Oh really? I think if you looked you find quite a few of us that fit every definition of healthy and still eat what many of the "clean" eating types would call junk food.
    healthy is not a subjective term and is not measured solely by weight.
    There are many that will disagree but that's so they can justify it and keep doing it. But hey that's your choice
    If the 'food' was made in a laboratory does anyone really believe it can be Improving your overall health??
  • ohyousillygirl
    ohyousillygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Exactly this. I’ve lost 20lbs without making any sort of drastic change with what I’m actually eating. I refuse to not eat something that I want to eat. That’s not the kind of life I want to live and it isn’t sustainable for me. I would be miserable everyday if I even tried to do that. What I do is eat less, and make sure I stay at or under my calorie goal. There are days though where I just feel like eating potato chips and that’s all I eat all day. And no one will ever make me feel bad about that.

There are plenty of fanatic people in these forums (who imo like to fancy themselves dietitians/ nutritionists when they aren’t) that will tell you it’s terrible and that you can’t do it and you shouldn’t eat any junk food because it’ll make you want more or something. But it’s your life, you know how much you can handle and if you’ll be able to limit it or not.

Tl;dr- only you can know what you’ll realistically be able to eat in sustainable way.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.

Oh really? I think if you looked you find quite a few of us that fit every definition of healthy and still eat what many of the "clean" eating types would call junk food.
    There are many that will disagree but that's so they can justify it and keep doing it. But hey that's your choice
    If the 'food' was made in a laboratory does anyone really believe it can be Improving your overall health??

Your body doesn't care where that gram of protein or that gram of fat came from.
  • ashleylmp
    ashleylmp Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Exactly, I want to be fit and healthy!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You -can- lose weight and eat junk if you eat at a deficit. This works for -some- people. I did slimfast which is junk and lost weight, but I was eating 1200 calories and felt awful from eating crap. So it is possible. I now eat 1600ish but healthier food and exercise and I feel a lot better abeit don't lose weight as quickly, but on slimfast I was skinny fat because at 1200 calories I did not have the energy to exercise.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Exactly, I want to be fit and healthy!

Then focus on your nutrient intake and exercise.
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    A few years back, to prove to my sister and others it could be done, I went 2 months eating nothing but desserts and stayed within my daily calories, lost 2lbs and didn't gain anything. I wouldn't encourage someone to do that for their diet, but it can be done, heh.
    A normal day was something like, 2 swiss cake roll packs 550 calories, 2 packages of smores pop tarts 400 calories, 1 cup of ice cream (vanilla) 300 calories, piece of carrot cake 400 calories. I also worked out 45mins- 1 hour a day still 5 days a week during that time. I was sick of sweets after that little adventure though, I hardly ever eat anything real sweet that isn't very low carb these days.
  • Jennystimetolose
    Jennystimetolose Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

^^This
    i agree I still eat chocolate chips chicken kebabs etc just not every day and I stay within my calories, if I didn't I to would eat the fridge and cupboards :) it's all about moderation :) and I have also lost 23 pound in 8 weeks :)
  • DaBigChief
    Options

Your body doesn't care where that gram of protein or that gram of fat came from.
    you keep telling yourself that...maybe one day you'll believe it
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that as far as WEIGHTLOSS is concerned, a calorie is pretty much a calorie but in order to get the best nutrition with a limited caloric budget, you can't waste calories on junk. For me personally, there's absolutely NO WAY I could get by on so few calories (800 calories per day on a supervised VLCD) if I was eating any junk, or even eating calorie dense healthy foods like sweetpotatoes, nuts or legumes. I make every calorie count for MAXIMUM nutrition and you'd better believe I get over 80 grams of protein a day PLUS lots of micronutrients from vegetables... and if I got all my calories from cheetos, I'm sure my weight loss would be the same but my body would be STARVING for nutrients!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here, here's what Taco Bell and Subway and McDonald's and Lean Cuisine and Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches do to your body:

progress.png

During that time, total cholesterol went from 240 to 204; HDL went from 40 to 59, and triglycerides from 92 to 72. My blood pressure was borderline high then, and now it's normally around 115/65.

So if all that sounds terrible to you, then by all means deny yourself foods you like because someone on the internet said they were "unhealthy."
  • DaBigChief
    Options
    smh...some people will never get it. I accept that....moving on
  • Jennystimetolose
    Jennystimetolose Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here, here's what Taco Bell and Subway and McDonald's and Lean Cuisine and Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches do to your body:

progress.png

During that time, total cholesterol went from 240 to 204; HDL went from 40 to 59, and triglycerides from 92 to 72. My blood pressure was borderline high then, and now it's normally around 115/65.

So if all that sounds terrible to you, then by all means deny yourself foods you like because someone on the internet said they were "unhealthy."
    helloooooo
  • ljw123321
    Options
    I am there with you. Gonna start tomorrow, fresh fruit, fresh food and if I have a treat, that's cos I have been the gym and done exercise for an hour!

Spent the whole day just tidying my whole house and feel rubbish cos have eaten rubbish in the day but just had a healthy fresh food thrown together spaghetti bolognese (made the sauce myself as jar sauces have hidden sugars).

I have to lose something like 70 lbs (you can tell I am from the UK doing it in stones and pounds lol).

Add me as a friend. I got a lovely recipe for home made chicken kiev if you want it.

In fact, I shall post it anyway so you can try it :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

You're quite correct that it's not subjective. I'm curious what you would call junk. PIzza? Ice cream? Hamburgers? Bacon? I eat all of those and am very healthy by any objective measure.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. Cutting out the foods you love make it very unsustainable for a lot of people.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible to eat NOTHING but junk and still lose weight, as long as there is a calorie deficit.
    However it's not healthy. You'd be missing lots of nutrients and you'd probably be hungry a lot because those 'junk'foods are mostly empty calories.

But it's possible :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

progress.png

=D....
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For me it's about getting as much food for your cals ....... being 'full' or at least satisfied after a meal.
    To do this it does tend to be more healthy kinds of foods that provide the best bang for your buck (as far as quelling your hunger)
    If I eat 1200 cals of chocolate/sweets (sugar), or 1200 cals of meat/eggs (protein), my weightloss will probably be pretty much the same but I'll be a hell of a lot fuller if I eat the protein - the chocolate would be gone in a single sitting and I'd be starving for the rest of the day :smile:
    Likewise I could eat a Double Whopper with Cheese, thoroughly enjoy it, but blitz my daily cals in one meal and have to fast until tomorrow.
    I'd rather choose better 'value' foods and eat them throughout the day so I don't feel hungry &/or guilty.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Well I aint eatin that diet, I like my pants too much.

You can eat "good" food in excess
    You can eat "Bad" food in moderation.
    At the end of the day it's about energy balance.