Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• katies2boys
    katies2boys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

^^This
    Yep, I feel exactly the same way.
  • skinnyclare
    skinnyclare Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think basically you should eat what you want, just do it in moderation. If you fancy a greasy burger or a chocolate bar go for it and just compensate on something else. Just aslong as you keep your diet varied so you dont get bored.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

^^This
    Yep, I feel exactly the same way.

^this^
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They might use IIFIYM

what is this?

If It Fits Your Macros.

Basically "eat whatever you want as long as you hit your protein, fat, carb goals at the end of the day." Some people also set goals for sugar and fiber, etc.

Gotcha, thanks! new to this, keep forgetting to pay attention to the macros. I am just at the point where I am making myself track everything.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    They might use IIFIYM

what is this?

If it fits inside your mouth

Supposed to be IIFYM=if it fits your macros. forum search that =)
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    if I completely cut out "junk" I would binge.... As long as I am under my goal for the day I'm good-
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    smh...some people will never get it. I accept that....moving on

I'm with you. Yeah it's ok to hit taco bell once in a great while. It's not going to kill you or stop your progress dead in your tracks. But to say "the body doesn't care where the gram of fat, protein, or carbs come from" is ignorant. Saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated are very different. Fructose and glucose are different. Refined, simple, and complex carbs are different. There are different types of protein. Ever heard of BCAAs?

I'm not going to jump into a big debate here but let's not over simplify eating for fitness and nutrition vs eating to lose weight.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with people who say that you should eat what you want just in moderation. Last night for the first time in a while I had pizza because while I love cooking things, I was bored of being in the kitchen and was craving a greasy piece of pizza. And I enjoyed it.

Do I like fruits and veggies? Nope, not a darn bit, so I try and find ways of making them appear in my food. Do I eat chocolate and chips? Yes. Y? because I know that I can't deprive myself of it and wouldn't want to as well as knowing that I when I reach my goal weight that I didn't exclude anything out (also with my field there are times where I am going to encounter "junk food" especially in the press box during football season and I don't wanna be rude).
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    To me junk is prepackaged food as well as traditional junk like chips. You may lose weight but you don't do what is healthy for your body. Having said that I see no reason to not eat junk sometimes.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think you should try a bunch of different things and do the thing that works best for you.

There are all manner of different strategies that work very well for a whole host of strong, capable, reasonable, intelligent people.

I am doing a low calorie, nutrient dense, clean, no grains, no processed foods thing that I love. It feels amazing. It might drive another person to suicide. I recognize that.

Your job is to find your thing.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Im 58 and Ive seen hundreds of people go on diets, of all sorts. Fads have come and gone and there are many more going on now and in the future. I do look at people that I know, and what they are like in 50's, 60's and beyond. I've observed websites like this and who loses and sustains their weight loss and those who don't. Ive looked at statistics and graphs. I tried to find something that showed me that I could eat what I want, stay under my coloric allowed intake and stay healthy.But, there is an ongoing trend, with the majority of people. The ones who fuel their body, with healthy food or the ones who eat a little bit of junk food, well,,,,, they live longer healthier lives. So, the choice Ive pretty much made is to strive for a balance. Im not giving up my oreos, but, Im not going to have a fried chicken sandwich or similar, wash it down with whole milk and eat 10 oreos and make that my meal for the day. My body needs better fuel than that. Again, to each their own,,,,this is my choice.
  • optimist49
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.

Ditto
  • SStruthers13
    Options
    Here, here's what Taco Bell and Subway and McDonald's and Lean Cuisine and Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches do to your body:

progress.png

During that time, total cholesterol went from 240 to 204; HDL went from 40 to 59, and triglycerides from 92 to 72. My blood pressure was borderline high then, and now it's normally around 115/65.

So if all that sounds terrible to you, then by all means deny yourself foods you like because someone on the internet said they were "unhealthy."

/thread
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Here, here's what Taco Bell and Subway and McDonald's and Lean Cuisine and Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches do to your body:

progress.png

During that time, total cholesterol went from 240 to 204; HDL went from 40 to 59, and triglycerides from 92 to 72. My blood pressure was borderline high then, and now it's normally around 115/65.

So if all that sounds terrible to you, then by all means deny yourself foods you like because someone on the internet said they were "unhealthy."

This.
    If you work out, do cardio and don't live on fried food alone then you can get great results.
    Not every meal or even 75% of your meals need to have a load of veggies and be cooked from scratch.
    Everything in moderation.
    If I had to prepare 3 meals a day from scratch it would cost a fortune and use time I don't have. Plus I'd miss foods I really like thst may be classed a junk and would fall off the wagon and likely give up.

I'm loosing weight, I don't eat take out any more (used to eat it a minimum of 3 times a week and large portions of it at that) but I can eat out for lunch with the guys from work, Aside from a couple of coffees per day I drink mostly water now with the occasional fruit juice if I get bored, no sodas, I've had 2 chocolate bars in 2 months (not 1 nearly every day) and I don't snack. I also exercise 5 times per week compared to none.

So I'm perfectly happy with the improvements.

It's like people that complain that electric cars still produce some pollution instead of being happy they produce 2/3 rds less. Nothing is ever good enough unless it's 100% perfect. And I can't live like that, I'm only human.
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I see SO many people on here who have their diaries open and eat more than half of their calories from what's considered "junk" food. What's the deal with this?! I realize I'm the one with 150 pounds left to lose, but wouldn't these people be losing more if they would eat fruits and vegetables at every meal? I'm striving for 75% fresh food. Is that maybe unrealistic? And there are people losing .5 pounds per week but eating candy, chips, etc. Would it not make a difference if they'd eat real food instead? Maybe I'm just confused!
    I agree with this. I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies and good lean protein. I don't believe in the junk food or processed/packaged foods. just my opinion
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    if I completely cut out "junk" I would binge.... As long as I am under my goal for the day I'm good-

Eating junk only makes me crave more junk!

Guess we are all different huh?
  • SStruthers13
    Options

progress.png

/thread

I suspect your values changed because you lost weight and started to exercise. That worked for you but may not work for others with a different genetic makeup. If I ate the foods you eat my cholesterol would be sky high and my bp would be as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.
    Well this is basically untrue since weight is the number one determining factor of health risk. So if a person ate nothing but junk, but got their weight lowered substantially from it, then health IS improved. And if they did it running too, then fitness is improved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread makes me wish MFP had a 'like' button!

I think the very same thing reading any thread! :bigsmile: Although a dislike button would be handy too. :tongue:
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever i want, but i follow IIFYM.

Thing is, I'm one of those people that if i deny myself certain foods, i will crash and binge. This is how I have continued my weight loss and been able to keep at it. Not dieting, living.

This is something that I myself can live the rest of my life doing because It's realistic, for me.

I've tried it the other way and i crashed too many times. To each his own. :)