Go Fruit Yourself! What do you think?

Options
Hello MFP Community,

I've come across the "Go Fruit Yourself" diet plan. What do you think of this?

Freelea claims she has a tone, lean body, especially her mid-section, by eating large amounts of fruit and 3 liters of water a day. In one video, she claims she had a litre of water and 2 litres of orange juice for breakfast, 15 bananas for lunch and another 15 bananas for dinner. In addition, she drank 2 more litres of water. When I calculated her caloric intake for that day, it totaled 4110 cals in that day alone. (105 cals per banana x 30 = 3150, and 120 cals per glass of oj x 8 = 960, equals 4110 cals.) She says she's done this diet for over three and a half years, where she eats as much fruit as she wants without counting calories. I believe she is on a vegan diet too.

Her figure is gorgeous, but the diet sounds odd. I am intrigued by the idea of eating more fruits, but isn't too much of one thing a bad thing? For example, 30 banana's worth of potassium in one day is through the roof! I'm also concerned about the lack of other nutrients and vitamins. Any thoughts?

Feel free to view one of her videos at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usv2X08gL-w

Replies

• kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've watched her videos and heard her story and yeah, her body is KILLER. But all I know is she must live a super active lifestyle to be able to consume so many calories and still look like that :(
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Oh shut up. Load of dross!

"Eat fat now and it will put fat on your body".

Utter crap.
  • LexiBlack12
    LexiBlack12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    So basically 80/10/10? I don't approve. Not enough protein and fat.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    A fruitarian diet is not for everyone. It's better suited to those who live active lives in hot climates and who's ancestors come from a region that produces a lot of fruit - It's in the blood! It can be dangerous if you're not careful. Just do lots of research. If you do decide to try it out, take it slowly and see how your body adjusts.
  • briveryafraid
    Options
    you should read the 801010 diet by dr graham... it has very good information as well as supporting facts on the fruitarian diet... according to this book the media portrays us to need way more protein then what we actually do. I strongly suggest you read the book
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to eat fruit, drink juice, and drink water as your primary food sources forever?

Seems like yet another fad diet with NO hope for helping anyone lose and SUSTAIN weight loss.

Unless your goal is to quickly lose then QUICKLY REGAIN WEIGHT. In which case. It's perfect.

Eat food, not too much, move.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The 30BAD/Go Fruit Yourself diet is an 80/10/10 style diet geared towards endurance athletes. I personally love it, because i'm the type of person that loves to get on my bike in the morning and ride all day.

I would highly recommend reading the book from Dr. Doug Graham, "The 80/10/10 diet", and check out some of the videos online of other fruitarians. All the BS theory about protein and fat means nothing to someone who can run 100 miles; these people know the truth.

Check out:
    John Kohler - YOUTUBE: "okraw" and "growingyourgreens"

Kristina Carillo-Bucaram - YOUTUBE: "Fullyraw Kristina" and "Fullyraw"

Michael Arnstein - YOUTUBE: The Fruitarian

Tim Van Orden - YOUTUBE: "running raw"

Dr. Doug Graham - YOUTUBE: "Foodnsport" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    An 80/10/10 diet stinks for most people. I love fruit, but it would get really old fast. Do you really want to eat that way forever? And if not, why start it? Even if you did manage to lose weight with it, you'd just gain it all back as soon as you resumed normal eating habits.

A better method for long term weight loss is a more balanced 40/30/30 diet with plenty of solid protein and veggies. And fruits too of course, but not at the expense of solid protein.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    15 bananas for lunch and another 15 bananas for dinner

That alone is about 3,000 calories. I have serious doubts about this woman's claims.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend reading the book from Dr. Doug Graham, "The 80/10/10 diet", and check out some of the videos online of other fruitarians. All the BS theory about protein and fat means nothing to someone who can run 100 miles; these people know the truth.

LOL, the "BS theory about protein" is backed by these things called Randomized Control Trials. Therefore it's not a theory, it's scientific fact.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Man, she's been popping up quite a bit lately. Almost makes me yearn for the days of "Dr. Oz said this..." posts.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    15 bananas for lunch and another 15 bananas for dinner

That alone is about 3,000 calories. I have serious doubts about this woman's claims.
    When you don't clog your muscle cells with fat, you burn carbohydrates more efficiently. Burning through 3,000 calories is really easy, especially for someone who runs or cycles many miles a day, like her. The problem with fruit is that it is hard to get enough calories.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Sounds like a heck of a lot of citric acid, sugar, and potassium.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can barely eat 3 banana's a day- much less 30!!! Fruit leaves my stomach full and my body hungry still. I over eat like a mo-fo when I'm doing a heavy fruit diet.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

LOL, the "BS theory about protein" is backed by these things called Randomized Control Trials. Therefore it's not a theory, it's scientific fact.

+1. As opposed to the pseudo science from the land of woo! lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    Sounds like a heck of a lot of citric acid, sugar, and potassium.
    I'm wondering how she's getting enough sodium to balance that potassium. Not good!
  • Mike2Hotty
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are here for a reason. The reason being that they are here to change their life by losing weight, gaining healthy weight from having a eating disorder or just for better healthy. And almost everyone here doesn't know much about nutrition and health, that is why everyone is here. So before you go and turn down a chance at better health and a better life, just read the book or do your research on the 80/10/10 diet. I was a bit skeptical about the diet at first but I decided to pick up the book and it has been the best decision I have ever made in my life. Before this change I was always fatigued by how little I was eating by restricting my calories, never wanting to go out and doing anything because I was so weak and afraid of getting fat. Now following this diet I have so much energy, always wanting to be up and about. You will not see any fat or unhealthy people on this diet, unless they have just started it. You will be able to eat as much food as you want and lose weight. Here are some youtube channels that I recommend if you want to look into the lifestyle.

Freelee the Banana Girl
    durianriders
    FullyRawKristina
    RealRawResults
    okraw
  • rml_16
    Options
    And almost everyone here doesn't know much about nutrition and health, that is why everyone is here.

False.