How did you go from...

Options
How did YOU go from wanted to loose weight and eating healthy to actually doing it? What was your stratagy?

I do so well for breakfast, for lunch, I workout daily.... then i get home. All day I have planned to eat healthy foods and when I get home all I want is junk.... I have cut out most of it by not bringing it home but SOMEHOW someway I still find a way to eat it. I have a 4-7 PM breakdown. Anyone have advise on how to break the streak?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I stopped wanting more food at night when I began eating more during the day. You just have to find the right balance that works for you and figure out how to resist the temptations.
  • audiophile
    Options
    I do the same as you do. D: It all fails from about 5:30pm onwards. I'm trying out some pill that's supposed to make you feel full, but only taking it after 5:30pm. I hope it goes to plan. :ohwell:
    Very interested in other people's methods~
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    You know, I was one of those people who was starting a new diet every other week. Then one time I just stuck at it. I am not sure why it worked that time and not at the other times but I guess it was a mixture of pure desperation, exercise and total focus. I dont think motivation is something you can force upon yourself, you have to really want to do it. I would say if anything was different that time it was that I joined a gym and then once I exercised a few times I wanted to eat less so thats when I restarted the diet. I also took it one day at a time. Then the next day would tell myself I managed it yesterday so today will be easier. Before I knew it, I'd done a week, then two, then a month and of course seeing physical changes spurred me on at that point. I would also say dont change your diet radically to begin with, just cut down or you'll feel you are going without.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try a scheduled snack around 3 - 3.30

so your not "starving" when you get home, also be aware of the fact that is when the advertising hits the telly / radio as well, its desgined to get you thinking of junk when your at your hungriest so being aware of what is happening may help you resist the suggestions :)
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    How did YOU go from wanted to loose weight and eating healthy to actually doing it? What was your stratagy?

I do so well for breakfast, for lunch, I workout daily.... then i get home. All day I have planned to eat healthy foods and when I get home all I want is junk.... I have cut out most of it by not bringing it home but SOMEHOW someway I still find a way to eat it. I have a 4-7 PM breakdown. Anyone have advise on how to break the streak?

Oh can I add, your need for junk is a chemical reaction in your body to not getting any. Once you go 3-4 days without it, the craving will get easier and then disappear. Stick with it :)
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    Is there anything you can do between 4-7pm to distract you. Can you go for a walk and do another activity? Also you could try and find some healthy alternatives for the snacks. I find dried prunes are a good substitute for chocolate (just don't eat too many!)
    Also, I have stopped buying things like cookies and other tempting foods - which means my whole family is also eating healthier. I can't have cookies at home or I will eat them. If they are not in the house I don't miss them.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I'm a junk eater too. And I keep some in the house for the kids as they are not on a "diet". But even this morning, I saw some cookies and thought "just one". Then I asked myself, "how do I feel about myself right now? Do I feel energetic, less bloated, in control? Will eating that cookie send me down a road that will change that?" Then I grabbed my coffee and a huge strawberry. Sometimes it is truly taking the time to talk/write it out until you figure out what your triggers are.

Also, support is always useful and I love this thread and thought I'd share:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/89257-april-s-challenge-no-snacking-after-dinner
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    How about making your food earlier for your evening meal? I find that I get hungry around 5pm onwards and tend to snack, so now I think if I just make my meal and theirs together and we eat at 6pm then I am doing something to take my mind off it whilst cooking and then eating at 6pm fills me up. When I then get a little more hungry around 9.30pm I have a cup of tea and then it's done! Good luck!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. I eat so well through the day, but the evening usually does me in. Recently I've started snacking more, and it has helped me to make wiser choices at dinner because I'm not starving. If I get really hungry, it's almost impossible for me to make wise food choices - but if I don't let myself get so hungry, I find I can stick to my plan. Even if I have a bad food day and I don't want to use those calories on a snack, it still saves me calories in the end because I make better choices. Plus, eating more small meals keeps your metabolism running better. :smile:
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Planning. I try to budget my calories the day before so that I have a plan for the day. It helps me keep focused and since I know when I am going to eat and what it's going to be it's a lot easier to stick to the plan. Also, focus and a little obsession. :)
  • losingweightfor30
    losingweightfor30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've actually had to start working out in the evenings to avoid my hunger cravings. I drink 16oz of water before my workout, and 16oz after with a yogurt or banana. After working out, I don't bother to eat because I know how many calories more I will have to burn off.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - if you're losing control around that time, it is because you're not eating enough during the day. Think of it this way, if you're full, you're not craving anything, are you? Don't let yourself get hungry, that's the key. They don't say to eat 5-6 times a day for nothing!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others with the small meals but I also work out at night and I don't want to eat junk before or after I work out so that stops me.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Planning. I try to budget my calories the day before so that I have a plan for the day. It helps me keep focused and since I know when I am going to eat and what it's going to be it's a lot easier to stick to the plan. Also, focus and a little obsession. :)

This is exactly what I do and it's REALLY been helping me. :)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have cut out almost all of the junk food but my hubby is thin as a twig (and only 23) so he isn't think yet about being super healthy so I don't want to make him give up everything just because I am.... then i end up eating his food. boo.

I think it could be that I am not eating enough during the day. I brought a full sandwich instead of a half today to try that at lunch. Its really hard because with my job I don't really have time to eat. Here is my day schedule:

5:45 am breakfast: I have been trying different things to see if anything helps my usual is a protien bar with a cuties orange
    snack 9:00 am: baby carrots
    lunch: 11:30 am: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich or a bagel thin with light cream cheese, an apple
    snack: 2:15 cuties orange
    two days a week I am done work at 2:30 and the other three days I am done at 4:00. I always run right after work. So i get home between 4-5:30 depending on the day....

I plan my day out ahead and sometimes even pre-log it BUT i still end up just giving into cravings.

I am going to try bringing more for lunch and maybe eating dinner right when I get home from work (on the days that I am not eating with my husband)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Try eating protein with each meal and snack and try eating more fibre as well
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Looking at your meal plan, my only suggestion would be to add a small amount of nuts or trail mix when you eat fruit or veggies. The combination of protein (nuts) and carbs (fruit or veggies) will keep you full longer, and give you more energy.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions. I don't love peanuts but there are a few kinds that I do like so maybe I will try to get some to add with my snacks.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Looking at your meal plan (and I am certainly no expert), I almost wonder if you are eating enough. Do you use the diary? I know someone who had the benefit of working with a dietician and was having trouble losing weight until they figured out he was eating too little. Just a thought.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Looking at your meal plan (and I am certainly no expert), I almost wonder if you are eating enough. Do you use the diary? I know someone who had the benefit of working with a dietician and was having trouble losing weight until they figured out he was eating too little. Just a thought.

oh yes, I eat enough :D My problem is that after the 2:15 snack I eat way too much because i am craving junk and feeling too hungry. I always eat over 1400 calories.