Why Isn't it Enough?

Options

Replies

• FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to fight the temptations of fast food as well, and have given in. I haven't always made the right choices so far, but I am getting better. I don't trust myself enough to order a pizza right now though. When going to a fast food place, I can get a salad with no dressing and grilled chicken. I know it's not the best, but still not the worst and is still filling. I order smaller portions than what I used to. I can now order things other than a meal, those fries and drinks really add up. The other stuff still isn't great, but still better than what I had been doing. I am making improvements and I do not think it will be an overnight process. If I take a step back, I try to learn something from it to help me move forward.

I will second learning to cook. I find new foods invigorating. Even if I don't like them, I've learned something new about what I don't like. One of the best tips I can give someone who is trying to learn how to cook is the high stove top setting is not your friend unless you are trying to put a quick sear/crust on something or boiling water. I had burnt many meals before figuring that one out. www.eatingwell.com as well as this site has many healthy recipes to choose from.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I rather think it's because we're human. We want tasty stuff. We want comfort foods. That's not necessarily bad, just human. If I think of it that way, it doesn't seem so taboo.

I love this response. Part of nearly every culture is the sharing and enjoying of foods. It's who we are!

Also, related...I agree with the advice that you should learn to cook and open your horizons with healthy food. If you're enjoying what you're eating instead of just fueling your body, you'll be less likely to crave those other foods. Create soups, sauces, use herbs and spices and cook things in different ways...for instance, grilling and roasting are wonderful for veggies. It's all well and good to want to eat clean and healthy but start searching for recipes that sound good and have a kitchen adventure at least a couple times a week.
  • Buzymomof_3
    Buzymomof_3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try this saying in your head next time, it really helped me a lot.
    I went from "I want it but I can't have it"
    to "I can have it but I don't want it."

Turning that into a positive statement really helped me out and it sounds like you are well on your way to in the right direction, keep up the good work!

This is what I do too - "I can have it but I don't want it right now". Leaves it open for later, just not right this minute. If you can put it in the plan. Say you want a donut, put it on your plan for three days from now. ON Thursday at 10:00 am I will eat a donut if I still want it. Hopefully by the time Thursday comes around, you're not craving one as much. So you stop impulse eating which is my downfall. And by all means, if you still want it, eat it. But you've planned for it (good healthy meals around it, early enough in the day to go work it off). Also - stop as soon as you can, even if it means throwing half away. Remember, it's not a waste of money if it you got what you needed out of it. Good Luck!
  • mlcastle
    mlcastle Posts: 33
    Options
    I hear what you're saying. When the bad stuff that made you unhealthy is there, readily available, and you know how good it tastes, it's very difficult not to want to eat it all the time (whatever "it" is), even if you don't want to want it, sometimes you still do. I'm not sure "cheats' or treats are even the answer because those can leave you wanting more.

It takes conscious effort every day to not overload one's diet with crap especially when we're inundated with messages about eating/drinking this or that from that fast food chain or that sugary drink maker. When I have those feelings of wanting sweets or sugary snacks, I take a moment to think about the hard work I put in, how good I feel, and how much more I like what I see in the mirror and then decide if that treat is worth it (sometimes it is) and if I can fit it in to today's goal or maybe I make it fit tomorrow when I can plan how much I'm willing to have and what I'll have to do to work it off and then move on.
  • mlcastle
    mlcastle Posts: 33
    Options
    Because there's something in our brains that tell us that pizza and burgers and cake and sugar all make us feel good. And they do. Until that euphoria of the first 20 minutes wears off and our stomachs realize what we're doing! And that's my very unscientific response!

In all seriousness though, I completely understand where you're coming from. I've been doing this on and off for almost 2 years (although I think my profile says I joined 3 years ago...that's just when I first filled out a profile). I've had A LOT of slip ups (including making it to my goal weight and then promptly gaining 20 pounds after a stressful life event), mostly because I've had to overcome emotional eating. Even though I still crave that cupcake or burger, I often have to remind myself how awful I will feel if I eat it. I know others have suggested working the junk into your daily or weekly calorie allowance. That does not work for me, because as you said, it's about how you feel. What does work for me is finding an alternative recipe. Lately my favorite has been a homemade banana pudding using bananas, chia seeds, dates, and coconut milk. It's DELICIOUS (tastes like Magnolia Bakery's banana pudding) and curbs my cravings for ice cream, cupcakes, and even chocolate.

I know others have said that you're being too restrictive or that you need to give yourself a treat or fit that burger or pizza into your calorie allowance. If that works for you, then that is awesome. However, for me, the key to sticking to this has been paying attention to how I feel after I eat something. If I eat a greasy burger or slice of pizza or bowl of macaroni and cheese, then I will feel awful and bloated and tired and cranky. If I replace the ingredients with homemade nutritiously made food, I can still have my burger or pizza or macaroni and cheese, and the calories might be the same (or not), but I FEEL better. I plan on doing this for life, and that includes never ever returning to McDonalds or KFC or Pizza Hut.

I'll second that
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters, you should not restrict yourself from sweets. There are low calorie options for sweets. If you deprive yourself you will fall off the wagon. I dont know exactly what you are craving, but when I crave chocolate or ice cream my go-to snack is either Dairy Queen Fudge Bars (50 cals, no sugar added) OR they sell boxes of Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers Ice Cream treats at the grocery store and they are normally around 100 calories. The same with cakes and cookies, look for the Weight Watchers, Skinny Cow, Fiber One.. there are many many options.

If I know I am going to have cake or ice cream at a birthday party, I just try to fit it into my day OR exercise to get the extra calories I need.

Hope these suggestions help you with your sweet tooth!
  • JohnMessmer
    JohnMessmer Posts: 536
    Options
    Let me start with a reference to a discussion I had not to long ago with my sister. My sister asked me how I was able to "simply quit smoking after 26 years". I told her that it really was not that difficult for me, I simply decided that it was what I was going to do and then eliminated it as an option. Of course, I got the deer in the headlights look from her, so I asked her "why do you not snort cocaine or smoke marijuana?". My sister said that she did not do either because they were illegal and she was not going to deliberately do anything that there was even the remote chance of it causing her to go to jail over. So then I said "so why are willing to do something that there is a very good chance of it killing you, or making you incredibly ill before killing you and putting you in your grave? I mean really, you are more afraid of going to jail then you are of dying?" Although she did quit for a week she recently continued to smoke, but my point was/is very simple. If you know that the choice you make will either contribute to your death or to your longer life; which choice will you make? I quit smoking cold turkey after a pack a day habit for over 26 years, because, I finally decided, it was no longer an option. I have lost 94 pounds in the past six months because, I finally decided, there was no other option. We each control what we consume, how much we move, your body is not as unique as a snowflake, there is no secret, there is no pill, burn more calories then you consume and lose the weight you need to.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I rather think it's because we're human. We want tasty stuff. We want comfort foods. That's not necessarily bad, just human. If I think of it that way, it doesn't seem so taboo.

This. Plus keep in mind humans are somewhat designed to put our brains on autopilot and seek familiar things, especially when we are stressed.

If you're going to make a permanent change, you have to leave room for junk food sometimes. The reason I didn't succeed at times when I tried to do this in the past was because I didn't give myself permission to eat "bad" foods, and then when I did, I "failed' and gave up.

One meal of comfort or junk food when you're stressed isn't going to ruin everything else.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    NO.

dont listen to any of the OH ITS OK YOURE JUST HUMAN YOURE GONNA MAKE MISTAKES AND MESS UP CONSTANTLY...

The truth is... you havent reached the moment where you say, Ok, Im actually ready to seriously change my life. Until then, youre just practicing and getting your feet wet.

When you're ready to ROAR and stand up and do what you GOTTA do and be BRAVE and STRONG!!!!! Then you will find yourself standing up straight and believing in yourself.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you're going to make a permanent change, you have to leave room for junk food sometimes.
    this statement is utter rot.
    there is no ''have to''. everyone is different. just because you need junk food ttreats in order to stay on the wagon, doesn't mean that it's the only way or the best way.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Because bad food triggers serotonin release. :) It's like a heroin addiction, man.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Your human yoi will mess up you will make mistakes why not allow yourself some small treates like example dark chocolate covered strawberries are wonderful and not to many calories or find replacments for the bad food you crave example when i want chips i make roasted chickpeas or eat hummus and kale chips yummy :)
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Dealing with those demons inside your head can be so tough! When I get nervous I want to eat, or upset. It is so easy to pull into a drive through or grab some junk. ....and then I crave more because it doesn't really fill me up, I am never satisfied. It has taken me a whole lot of years to realize that food doesn't solve a single one of my problems, including craving comfort. Once I quit the insanity (doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results) I started learning to cope. When I get that weird, angry, nervousness in my head, I walk. I don't care what time it is....if it's 3am, I'll put the dog on a leash and grab a flashlight and go....or I'll paint something....and I NEVER had an artistic bone in my body before age 40, if you can believe it. I'll paint on canvas, go paint something on the chicken coop, paint the roof of the dog house (yes, my neighbors think I'm nuts), but at least I have something to show for my nervous energy other than large clothes! The non-judgemental support you find here is priceless. The feelings you are having are normal.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I deal with this everyday. For me, junk food and sweets are an addiction. I use food for everything; when I'm bored, it entertains me; when I'm scared, it gives me comfort; when I'm happy I celebrate with food and when I'm sad or lonely, it does the same. Sweets never say no. I got to the point where I was hiding food all the time in closets, dresser drawers, my car. I have been to the point (and past several times) of a weight I never thought I would see. I had to finally get real with myself and I will tell you, it's damn hard. It took several months of counseling (I had underlying issues, as well) and I don't consider myself "cured" but I think I'm coming out the other side a better person. I still do allow myself a sweet treat everyday if I have the calories and I never tell myself no, I am just very conscious of my portion size. Instead of eating a whole bag of mini Reese cups, I will have 10 or 11 and I really really treasure each one. So far, this is working for me. Some nights I eat 1 or 2 Girl Scout cookies. I try each day to eat mostly fruits and veggies in my diet, but I do try to budget for sweets, because I'm still me and I still love them. (my food diary is open if you want to check it out) I also reward myself with other things instead of food, that's a big one for me; charms for my bracelet, a massage, a new tattoo. Anything but food. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your journey, I have a long way to go, but I'm confident that between what I learned in counseling and all the support I have on MFP, I can do this and I'm going to do it right and not deprive myself of anything I want. For me, this is a lifestyle change forever, not a diet "until" I reach that goal weight. Feel free to add me a friend if you would like extra support :smile:
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    we're human....we've been programed from child hood to want this or that....crave this or that...use this or that for a reward or comfort....it's in retraining your mind...about everything! Our tummy's don't know what we put in it....it's our minds that have the "I want" fits....our bodies need fuel/energy/nutrients....we don't need the large fry....we don't need the plate full of food....or the 2nd round at the buffett....we need reprogramming....
    good luck to you:)
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    To help me from straying I have a planned "cheat day". I just started this about a month ago and so far it's going good. When I crave something I write it down then on my cheat day I can choose a few of them and enjoy!! Also to keep me motivated I write down new goals every month and put them on my phone so every time I check my phone i see them. Good luck!!
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump. Excellent question!
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of dark chocolate every day. It's the last thing I eat every day and makes it all worth it! :)
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of dark chocolate every day. It's the last thing I eat every day and makes it all worth it! :)

I love dark chocolate and have a piece every day. It's also healthy for you.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a treat here and there, but make sure it's just a treat. You don't want to feel deprived, but if you overdo it, you're going to feel like crap and set yourself back. Have a treat. If you see an exceptionally scrumptious looking cupcake, have one, be satisfied and move on. :)