Asparagus

Options
2»

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite soups:

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/04/08/roasted-asparagus-soup-with-spring-herb-gremolata/

Or you know....just roast it under the broiler with salt and pepper flakes, and finish with a squirt of fresh lemon juice. That's my go-to.
  • tracilahart
    Options
    Take 6 to 8 spears, wrap those suckers in a slice of bacon and broil them until bacon is crispy. YUM-O. Paleo heaven. :-)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sautee in Olive oil with a little bit of garlic - sprinkle with parmesan and serve
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Wrap 3 or 4 stalks with a piece of bacon after seasoning the asparagus, bake until the bacon is crunchy and amazing. You won't regret this one. I also take the asparagus and cut in in 3rds saute it with 3 or 4 slices of bacon cut up into small pieces. Take some salad mix and add 3 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1/4 cup of cranberries. Add the Asparagus and bacon to the salad and enjoy, very yummy, just had this tonight except with ham instead of the bacon.

I saw this and just want to say no....adding bacon to asparagus takes something very healthful and turns it to *kitten*. Sorry....

wait.....what? Please explain why bacon is bad. Fat is not the enemy. I see no reason to unfairly vilify bacon here.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Steam them until just done, toss them in butter. Butter makes it better!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Wrap 3 or 4 stalks with a piece of bacon after seasoning the asparagus, bake until the bacon is crunchy and amazing. You won't regret this one. I also take the asparagus and cut in in 3rds saute it with 3 or 4 slices of bacon cut up into small pieces. Take some salad mix and add 3 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1/4 cup of cranberries. Add the Asparagus and bacon to the salad and enjoy, very yummy, just had this tonight except with ham instead of the bacon.

I saw this and just want to say no....adding bacon to asparagus takes something very healthful and turns it to *kitten*. Sorry....

Sorry disagree, I eat this all the time and my loss does not lie. There is nothing wrong with consuming bacon. Different strokes for different folks. As long as your within your limit with macros and all enjoy the BACON, daily if needed......sheeesh some people ruin all the fun.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Steam or boil them for 3-5 minutes depending on size. You don't want them mushy. Drain, toss with a good balsamic vinegar and heat to cook down the vinegar a bit. I'm currently using a Fig & Meyer Lemon Balsamic that tastes fantastic with asparagus.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Take 6 to 8 spears, wrap those suckers in a slice of bacon and broil them until bacon is crispy. YUM-O. Paleo heaven. :-)

Watch out someone has issues with the bacon :) I swear people have strange thoughts on food sometimes
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sautee in olive oil, add kosher salt & small pinch of cayenne pepper. The pepper will bring out the sweetness of the asparagus.
  • amyavivah
    amyavivah Posts: 42
    Options
    sorry i didnt read everyone post so i am not sure it this was said but..

mine is... you take Brussels sprouts cut in half and put them and the asparagus in a pan with a lil virgin olive oil and minced garlic and just cook them like that i love it and it low in calories
  • Tammyrph
    Tammyrph Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have always roasted them.. but to decrease the calories you can either use no oils (if you have already had your good oils for the day) or use an olive oil spray to just barely spritz them.. we next to never cook with salt .. so unless you really want the salty taste you just dont need it :)
  • sarahfashion861
    sarahfashion861 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I grilled them in a pan with italian dressing, onions and tomatoes :) so good!
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    Chop the asparagus into 1/2"-1" pcs, lightly steam, then scramble some eggs in the same pan with a little dried thyme and goat cheese -- yum!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Had that tonight! I follow the KISS principle, because I'm lazy. I boil for 5-6 mins (depending on the size) and just squeeze a bit of lemon over it.

(Seriously. Almost all my green veg = lemon or OO w/ garlic. SO lazy.)
  • minihaha80
    minihaha80 Posts: 117
    Options

I am by no means a bacon hater but how are processed meats paleo?
    Not that im a fan of any diet, so I dont really look into anything like this in detail, but I was under the assumption it was all naturally occurring food all the time, maybe im under the wrong impression.

Anyhoo this does sound wonderful

Roasted asparagus is also really good with some parmesan sprinkled on top
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    BACON rules! I'd rather smell the "after" effects of bacon, than asparagus!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I second (or fifth?) the suggestion of wrapping the asparagus in bacon, but I also love to spread the bacon (or prosciutto) with brie or neufchatel cheese before baking. The combo is delicious!

I think sometimes people focus too much on vilifying certain foods instead of focusing simply on well-portioned, well-rounded meals.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    a tablespoon of evoo, few dashes of garlic, and a few dashes of Parmesan cheese in a Tupperware container - shake the asparagus around in it, throw it on a pan and roast it in the oven until ends are crunchy! Delicious!