FitBit or HRM?

Options
13»

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and would not recommend it. It has a lot of issues with syncing properly (at one point it went 3 weeks without syncing over wifi like it was supposed to be). I'm actually considering putting mine on eBay because I just don't find it all that useful.

Fitbits do not support Wifi in any capacity. It only syncs via the Bluetooth dongle or via the Fitbit app on iPhone 4S/5, iPad Retina, or Samsung Galaxy S3/Note 2.

WiFi... Bluetooth dongle... w/e. Wrong choice of words - same result. The software for it is garbage and doesn't sync properly. Also didn't sync properly with its own app or MFP's app on the iPod Touch.
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I noticed the other day they are selling them in the stores now.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and would not recommend it. It has a lot of issues with syncing properly (at one point it went 3 weeks without syncing over wifi like it was supposed to be). I'm actually considering putting mine on eBay because I just don't find it all that useful.

Fitbits do not support Wifi in any capacity. It only syncs via the Bluetooth dongle or via the Fitbit app on iPhone 4S/5, iPad Retina, or Samsung Galaxy S3/Note 2.

WiFi... Bluetooth dongle... w/e. Wrong choice of words - same result. The software for it is garbage and doesn't sync properly. Also didn't sync properly with its own app or MFP's app on the iPod Touch.

I find the software excellent. The fact that you had a bad experience and couldn't get it to work - apparently without engaging their reportedly excellent customer service - for almost a month doesn't mean it's garbage.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I find the software excellent. The fact that you had a bad experience and couldn't get it to work - apparently without engaging their reportedly excellent customer service - for almost a month doesn't mean it's garbage.

Actually, I did engage their customer service - thanks for asking. Their response was canned and made zero difference in how the software was working for me. Why so defensive about someone else's experience? Jeez. People want ALL opinions, not just yours. :yawn:
  • seriouslylosingit
    Options
    Love them both, but the FitBit is always attached... I have only had it a couple of weeks and it has really been eye opening regarding my activity level. I am still trying to figure out all of the math when I sync, but love love love... I use my HRM when I run just to make sure I am within a safe range. I would love to add any of you as friends. I need all of the support I can get... We all do!
  • ShawnNhGa1977
    ShawnNhGa1977 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Actually, I did engage their customer service - thanks for asking. Their response was canned and made zero difference in how the software was working for me. Why so defensive about someone else's experience? Jeez. People want ALL opinions, not just yours. :yawn:

Amen
    I got the HRM and I am just tryin to learn it but i think i got the hang of it i got mine at walmart.com for $32.15 after tax and had it shipped to the store for free
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Loving my fitbit! Such a great tool for motivating yourself.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    After researching both, I bought a fitbit. Great tracker of steps, calories, and general activity level. Does not measure heart rate. If you want the hear rate measurement for a true calorie burned - the HRM is the right choice. If you want a motivator to be more active and to track that activity level, I'd go with the fitbit. It you are looking for both...you guessed it, you need both.
  • mk834
    mk834 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great information, everyone!
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    After researching both, I bought a fitbit. Great tracker of steps, calories, and general activity level. Does not measure heart rate. If you want the hear rate measurement for a true calorie burned - the HRM is the right choice. If you want a motivator to be more active and to track that activity level, I'd go with the fitbit. It you are looking for both...you guessed it, you need both.

After researching the FitBit and the striiv Smart Pedometer, I bought the striiv Smart Pedometer as I found its software is incredible for motivating me to be active and remain active. Its software challenges you to beat your best efforts in walking, running, and climbing, you can compete against others or the device itself, and gain points that can be converted into charitable donations. The software ups its challenges as it learns of your fitness progress through use. It features both a sensitive accelerometer and an altimeter for tracking steps, runs, and scrambles up hills. It's just a great motivational and fitness device for walking, running, and climbs (stairs and steep ascents of hills and walls).

If you just want to try the software first, striiv offers a free iPhone / iPod App that employs similar software but it does not register changes in altitude unless you purchase a supplementary device called the striiv Play. If you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, try the free striiv App before you buy anything. You will probably like it as much as I did.

After using the iPhone App, I was so impressed that I elected to go all out and buy the striiv Smart Pedometer for $80 instead of buying the striiv Play for use with my iPod Touch. No regrets as the striiv Smart Pedometer is with me all day and most of the night and always challenging me based on my current activity level. I do over 10,000 steps each workday and in excess of 20,000 steps a day during the weekend because the software motivates me through behavioral observation and continuous performance assessment. The Smart Pedometer device software is awesome and when you sync with your PC, everything is automatically backed up, updated, and rebooted for trouble-free operation.

My reported calorie burns from the striiv Smart Pedometer for walking so far correlate fairly close to that reported by my new Polar FT7 which I currently use for high-effort cardio work on Arc Trainer machines at the gym, circuit training, and eventually this Spring, road cycling. Find more info about striiv at http://www.striiv.com/products/striiv/

The FT7 was a great buy at $90 for my needs. It's chest strap and sensor is compatible with the Arc Trainer machines at my gym, and it also works with the Digifit App for the iPhone without a supplementary ANT device, making it economically a best buy for my needs. However, Digifit does charge $2.99 for the Polar FT7 sensor driver. But that's a bargain compared to a separate attachment to transfer data to your PC. I'm very satisfied with both of my purchases so far.