Fasting- good or bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The post above is 100% nonsense. If you weren't raging at lemon juice killing cancer cells you are soulless.
    Everyone has cancer cells in their body, but not everyone has "cancer" or I hope we don't. With a normally functioning immune system, our bodies are able to identify and eliminate these rogue cancer cells. But if our immune system is weakened and/or we are exposed to things like cigarette smoke, excessive sunlight or excessive alcohol, then these tiny cancers can grow and become a potentially life-threatening tumor.

Consuming lemon juice or soursop isn't a cure for cancer, it isn't a treatment to replace chemotherapy. I didn't say it worked better than chemo. It isn't for people who have cancer to just drink lemon juice and not visit the doctor, but It does help the body kill cancer cells. Red wine does the same thing and so does soursop (this is a fruit).

Um, by "cancer cells" are you talking about free radicals?
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    You DID NOT find the article I quoted. What you found was an article which plazerized the American Cancer Society's site.

Second of all, you choose to believe something called "hoax" over the "National Cancer Society". And lastly if you READ your "hoax" site, the ONLY part they say is a hoax is that it kills 10,ooo times better than chemo. And that IS a Hoax.

Here is the website for the NATIONAL CANCER SOCIETY:

It was written just two months ago too:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/phytochemicals

What I posted:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/phytochemicals

Please note these articles ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: did you even look at my link?
    I didn't read what you wrote, because I don't consider you an expert. You have no credentials with me. And the creepy lady down below who is on ignore didn't get her posting even opened. She does nothing but make fun. Why would I want to read that? At least you are a nice person. For that I thank you. You are here to help people, you have a big heart. I do appreciate your debating in a mature and at least educated manor. You're different from the others who follow me around on here trying to make sure I have a bad time and am slapped around and put in a hole. And then there is Jonnythan who told me I an the, "laughing joke" of these board because I have been to college and learned in health class and bioclass about fruits and phytochemicals. My dad got cancer in 1995 so I did EVERYTHING I could to research. I had a passion to get the truth. Although fruit won't cure anything, it does kill cells. So what? I doubt it is enough to make a difference. But I do have a master's degree, I am not stupid. I did my best to get at the truth to help my dad. That is why "I" get excited about drinking or eating anything which I feel kills cancer cells. My whole family on Dad's side has died of cancer or had it. Not ONE who hasn't. That said, I read, I believed what I read. I shared, bc I wanted to be nice. What if it doesn't kill the cells? It is just consuming vit C? No one is going to be hurt by that. That is why I don't know why it is worth it to you to argue with me over what I chose to believe. It's not like I am asking people to drink gasoline. Look, I was only here to learn and to grow as a person. I also like to be compassionate and share. I have been attacked (no ganged up on) since day one. I don't want to be picked on, I had other motives and it certainly wasn't cruelty or to mock or to bully. I am sorry some of you choose that. I will let you all to find another person to attack, to bully, to mock, to tease. Have fun, take care, be safe. Peace out.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    The post above is 100% nonsense. If you weren't raging at lemon juice killing cancer cells you are soulless.
    Everyone has cancer cells in their body, but not everyone has "cancer" or I hope we don't. With a normally functioning immune system, our bodies are able to identify and eliminate these rogue cancer cells. But if our immune system is weakened and/or we are exposed to things like cigarette smoke, excessive sunlight or excessive alcohol, then these tiny cancers can grow and become a potentially life-threatening tumor.

Consuming lemon juice or soursop isn't a cure for cancer, it isn't a treatment to replace chemotherapy. I didn't say it worked better than chemo. It isn't for people who have cancer to just drink lemon juice and not visit the doctor, but It does help the body kill cancer cells. Red wine does the same thing and so does soursop (this is a fruit).

Um, by "cancer cells" are you talking about free radicals?
    No, but it does do that too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been attacked (no ganged up on) since day one.

Have you wondered why that is? It has nothing to do with the fact that you, allegedly, went to college.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I didn't read what you wrote, because I don't consider you an expert. You have no credentials with me. And the creepy lady down below who is on ignore didn't get her posting even opened.

1) No one needed to read either post, because you posted the same article she did and then attacked her for it.

2) You don't have me on ignore or else you wouldn't have been able to read my response.

3) Also, good work on trying to edit your post to remove the link. Didn't work.

:laugh:
  • Sunny____
    Options

Have you wondered why that is? It has nothing to do with the fact that you, allegedly, went to college.
    I alleged? What? Why would I lie about that? I graduated from Indiana University and then went on to teach school in Louisville, KY and then also in Clarksville and Jeffersonville Indiana for both regular education and special education. What is so special about that, that I would want to lie about it? Teachers make a whopping 38,000 and you think that is worth bragging about? If was going to lie to impress, I would say I am a doctor. GMAB. Anyway, you're cool, I'm not. You're a good person, I am not. We've established that. Is there any thing else you'd like to attack me for?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sunny

I posted what I did because you are spreading misinformation, and taking hoaxes as truth and gospel. Other will read it and believe it. You posted from an article that stated there was no proof vit c killed cancer cells and cherry picked it to prove the opposite - and back up your inaccurate claims.

You say you are passionate to get to the truth - but a lot of what you say isn't backed up by any credible research.

Oh and you are not the only one who knows people who have or have had cancer.

Feel free to say a healthy balance diet is a good defence against cancer - don't say lemon juice kills cancer cells. Absolute testaments that have no basic in scientific fact will be torn apart.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I alleged? What? Why would I lie about that? I graduated from Indiana University and then went on to teach school in Louisville, KY and then also in Clarksville and Jeffersonville Indiana for both regular education and special education. What is so special about that, that I would want to lie about it? Teachers make a whopping 38,000 and you think that is worth bragging about? If was going to lie to impress, I would say I am a doctor. GMAB. Anyway, you're cool, I'm not. You're a good person, I am not. We've established that. Is there any thing else you'd like to attack me for?

How does someone with a master's in education say they're getting a "doctrine degree" and use words like "plaserize"? How does someone who is educating our children make grammar and spelling errors in almost every single sentence they write?

That's why I call your credentials into question.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Sunny

I posted what I did because you are spreading misinformation, and taking hoaxes as truth and gospel. Other will read it and believe it. You posted from an article that stated there was no proof vit c killed cancer cells and cherry picked it to prove the opposite - and back up your inaccurate claims.

You say you are passionate to get to the truth - but a lot of what you say isn't backed up by any credible research.

Feel free to say a healthy balance diet is a good defence against cancer - don't say lemon juice kills cancer cells. Absolute testaments that have no basic in scientific fact will be torn apart.
    Lemons kill cancer cells. Now I am in a huge rush and using my phone to type sucks so I have to go now. It's been nice meeting YOU. The others, not so much.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sunny

A very fair response. I am always open to new evidence-based research that will improve my health and the health of those around me but unless there is solid evidence then it should not be held up as fact.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. The only reason I shared the "detox" claim is because I find that after fasting I am able to have a BM which generally does not occur daily or even every three days. I am sorry for the confusion :)

OP - I'm sorry to hear the problems you are having and it makes it clearer as to why you are prepared to try fasting to sort out your constipation. Have you seen a doctor about this too to ensure there are no underlying issues?

And I'm sure you've tried other ways to sort it out but a few suggestions I would have would be:

* For me, personally, it usually happens if I am dehydrated and/or on medication (painkillers in particular) - so drink plenty of water. I also had issues for a couple of weeks after quitting smoking - nicotine is a laxative and it takes time for the body to adjust
    * Beans
    * Green veg and salad (fibre and water)
    * Prunes (laxative effect as they contain sorbitol)
    * Coffee
    * Flaxseed and Psyllium - search for 'Muffin in a Minute' (MIM) on these forums. They are made of flaxseed and great for a quick breakfast on the go. Full of fibre!
    * Exercise - lack of movement can slow down peristalsis (contraction of the gastrointestinal muscles that causes food to move through your digestive tract). Exercise can encourage this by boosting your metabolism.

But, as I said earlier, if it has got to the point of thinking about fasting then maybe it's time to seek expert advice.

Take care.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some research indicates undesirable hormone responses in women (not sure if you're male or female), but you might want to look into that/consider it.

Having said that, I've done 24/36 hour fasts (twice recently just because and quite a few times over the years on particular religious days).
    Hi, I am interested in reading this info. Do you have the link or can you tell me how to find it? Thanks.

Paleo for Women had a good post on it:
    http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

Essentially, a lot of the articles on the benefits of fasting are NOT as clear as to whether women benefit as much or even at all, and some studies have shown it can be detrimental, hormonally. Depends on the woman and the fasting.
    Comments on the post and posts that linked to it are good too. Posts from people who say they feel great doing intermittent fasting, posts from people saying they really messed themselves up.