Closed Diary's

Options

Replies

• Kaasie1
    Kaasie1 Posts: 25
    Options
    Because I eat way too little and I don't want people criticizing me over it.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am with those who do not want the criticism and the negativity that brings into my life.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The mfp default is private a lot of people probably just don't change.

Exactly. And it's clear from the "help me" posts that changing the setting is not self-explanatory (hope someone at MFP is paying attention--your user interface needs help!)
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just opened mine to public because I need the help to eat better. but I had mine to friends only for awhile. because I felt I would be judged on my eating
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm an open book. I list my medications as well as my food and people may feel free to ask questions, comment, share, or whatever else they desire. If someone makes the choice to judge me based on an entry in my diary so be it. Their judgement has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because it's a conversation I'm having with myself.
  • FromFat2Phat2013
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I find I'm completely honest that way. There is no downside to me logging absolutely everything. When I had my journal open, I found myself not wanting to log fully to avoid criticism, etc. This way, I'm accountable to myself, and if I mess up, I know it. I realize that other people need to be accountable to others and that it helps them, it just doesn't work that way for me.

I totally agree with you! I dont need the criticism im already hard on myself dont need other people doing it :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of open diaries to keep you in the know. Why do you care about those who don't? You should have enough support from your friends. I have mine closed because of all the snarks out there that would call mine "UNCLEAN". I'm succeeding just not their way.
  • gonzo2802
    gonzo2802 Posts: 15
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I find I'm completely honest that way. There is no downside to me logging absolutely everything. When I had my journal open, I found myself not wanting to log fully to avoid criticism, etc. This way, I'm accountable to myself, and if I mess up, I know it. I realize that other people need to be accountable to others and that it helps them, it just doesn't work that way for me.

THIS!
  • FromFat2Phat2013
    Options
    Mine is closed. I also close the door when I go use the bathroom, and I close the blinds at night. :-)

That actually made me laugh interesting concept! I love it!:smile:
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only.

I don't want nor care to have anyone else browsing and criticizing my eating. I've opened it up once; never again.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    I was one of those people that didn't even realize my diary was closed at first until I started added friends and saw that theirs were open. Then I fiddled around in settings and BOOM! Open diary.

I guess I don't really care what people think about what I eat. I eat ALOT and 99% of the time, exercise enough to end up under my calorie goal. If I know I have a long workout for the day, I may eat pizza. Maybe 3 slices. I drink occasionally and I log everything that I eat/drink. It does help others and if you do indulge occasionally but still end up under your calorie goal, I think it encourages others that it is okay to slip up but if you do, exercise is your savior.

Too many people want to starve themselves but not workout. That is the issue I have with most people here and your diary doesn't have to be open for me to figure out if you workout at all or not lol. But hey, to each their own. No judgements here.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends if they care to look at it but I don't open it to all because I don't want the views of anyone who doesn't consume meat/carbs/alcohol/dairy etc. to jump all over me. :drinker: I will seek advice on specifics and give all respondents the courtesy of reading and considering their responses - but I don't want any unsolicited views, thanks! Equally if you ask for advice and have an open diary I'm happy to look and see if I can spot anything, but its not my place to go browsing random diaries and putting in my oar.

For me the diary is a tool to log my food and exercise so I don't go over - I don't bother hugely with the macros as I am not scared of carbs or sugar or even sodium (i don't eat a lot of processed foods so I know what is going into my body!). Frankly, I choose what I want to eat and how I exercise. I really don't mind if someone wants to eat no carbs after 2pm, or lift ten times their body weight five times a week, or anything - that's their choice, let me have mine!

Finally - if I start looking at what other people are eating I might get hungry:laugh:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. Of course mine is pretty boring so I doubt anyone gets any great food recipes from it lol. I cook for one so I eat alot of leftovers so its the same thing for a number of days in a row.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I also use the diary to keep track of my medications and goals, and for me, those are more private, so I don't open mine. I know other people use their "Food Notes" as a way to mark their moods and ideas for the day as their own personal information and motivators. Just a small thought.

I also use the diary in this way. I don't just track food but I yell at myself if I've messed up, too. Kind of a private conversation with me, myself and I. However, the day I too become a success story, I'll tell whoever's interested exactly what I did to get there.
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree that most people probably don't know how to change it. i go back and forth on having mine open & usually it's because i go back & forth on how faithful i am about logging everything. sometimes (particularly weekends) i don't always log everything, but just try to be mindful of my food choices.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Closed. I use it to track my own habits. I don't want commentary.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Because there are more user out there that would criticize my choices, instead of applauding my success
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I don't want people telling me what I should be doing

I know I should be eating vegetables but I can't eat them or 9 times out of 10 I gag - Wish I could but i can't so I don't need everyone telling me hey you know if you ate vegetables you would be better etc

And as others said I don't know that I would log everything properly if I knew others were creaping on me - I have on friend who has an open diary and it makes me depressed seeing what she is able to eat she eats over 3k calories in day - I have now decided not to creep on others diaries
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a code for my friends who want it.