Juice Detox - Goal: 5 Days.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Exercising on five days worth of no food will only make you tired, cranky, and leave your body feeling punished. Going five days without food is in itself a bad idea - you don't need to detox your system and it doesn't need a kickstart - the body is not a car, the oil doesn't need to be changed out. Again, all you'll accomplish is punishing yourself.

The body doesn't need that. Your mind definitely doesn't need that. You and your body are not the enemy. Treat it kindly and fuel it properly.

So agree.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    A week of juicing might feel like you're being healthy, but it doesn't do a single thing in helping you choose healthier solid foods.

That's not true, It can give you a taste for fruits and vegetables so you eat the whole thing later.

Why not just eat the fruits and vegetables? Prolonging the development of that healthy behavior seems pointless.
    Some people have digestive issues so juicing or blending (what I prefer so I get the whole food) can give the digestive tract a rest.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Cleanse by bathsheba_c

To cleanse or not to cleanse? That is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of non-specific toxins
    Or to take arms against a sea of imagined bowel obstructions
    And by opposing, perforate one's colon. To juice; to detox;
    No more; and by a detox to say we end
    The pH and the balance of intestinal flora
    That guts are heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be avoided. To juice; to detox;
    To detox: perchance to puke: aye, there's the rub;
    For in the pangs of indigestion what side-effects may come
    When we go and leave our undies soiled.

:laugh: :heart:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member

Some people have digestive issues so juicing or blending (what I prefer so I get the whole food) can give the digestive tract a rest.

This I could see as valid - to a point. Many medical conditions do well with a day or two of soft foods. But that's a day or two - not lengthy periods in which, in the end, you would be depriving your body of one of it's basic functions. (Eating.) There's a reason babies eventually graduate to solids foods.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Good luck.

You'll need it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    A week of juicing might feel like you're being healthy, but it doesn't do a single thing in helping you choose healthier solid foods.

That's not true, It can give you a taste for fruits and vegetables so you eat the whole thing later.

Why not just eat the fruits and vegetables? Prolonging the development of that healthy behavior seems pointless.

(in bold) what does this even mean? is your digestive tract going for a week-long vacation to Jamaica?
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Wish me luck. My weight started at 187 on 11/28/12. I am now 157 and I have been floating around 160 for a little over 3 weeks. I decided I needed to kickstart a new program with a juice detox and more exercise. I know when detox hits and I'm miserable for hopefully just a day, I'm probably not going to want to exercise much but I am excited to clean my system. Hope I make it 5 days at least. Don't worry I'm not just drinking any juice. I'm going to use naked juice but I know it would have been better to juice myself. I don't have a machine though so after talking to a friend who is on day 8 of her THIRTY day detox, I'm cool with store bought all natural/no sugar added juice. Has anyone else done this?

Good luck! i juiced for 9 months lost 80lbs im primarily juicing now just added in a few things and i eat a healthy dinner. for me it works its not for everyone.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member

This I could see as valid - to a point. Many medical conditions do well with a day or two of soft foods. But that's a day or two - not lengthy periods in which, in the end, you would be depriving your body of one of it's basic functions. (Eating.) There's a reason babies eventually graduate to solids foods.
    some people have very low stomach acid and need all the help they can get. The raw food give the enzymes for good digestion and the nutrients to get strong stomach acid again. This can take some time. I don't see why they couldn't eat almond butter or ground flax meal as well for their protein and omega-3s. I agree that this shouldn't be long term. Chewing is a necessary habit for good teeth and proper digestion of solid food.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    oh and i started with juicing myself but since i was in a car accident i actually used naked juice and then switched to bolthouse..either is good imo. just make sure to mix up the different ones throughout the day. i usually start with green juice and lunch is carrot/orange snack is green juice (i usually make the snack the same as the breakfast) and normal dinner. i have added in a oh yeah bar for breakfast and snack now though to make sure im getting my calories. also start your day with a cup of herbal tea nothing added. :)
  • gperez94
    gperez94 Posts: 3
    i did the juice fast last summer and it makes you feel amazing. The amount of vitamins that you get makes your skin glow and you have a ton of energy. you will probably be craving solid foods, but wait until day five. i lost about 6 lbs in 5 days doing the juice fast on top of competitive swimming. you must work out if you want to lose weight.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    There's nothing wrong with juicing and it can be perfectly healthy for you. People don't give it a chance or knock it off because it's not called a "Protein Shake". There are no set guidelines, laws, or legal entity that tells you what must go inside of a juice. You will NOT go to jail if you put fruits and protein powder in a blender. You will NOT die if your blender contains fruits that meet your daily nutritional value set by MFP. You will NOT starve if you put vegetables in your blender because vegetables are in fact FOOD. You can put anything in the blender you want and that includes protein powder. It's your blender, do what you want with it and obviously if you pick healthy choices, you can get all you need in a drink. There is no difference between eating like a vegan and juicing. It's what you put in the blender that really matters.

• RandaRae16
    RandaRae16 Posts: 36 Member
    My husband has done the 7 lbs in 7 days juice detox a few times and LOVES it. We are going to do a 5 day detox next week. How did you track your intake on MFP? I have the app with the shopping list; wondering if I should list out the ingredients in each juice per day?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    My husband has done the 7 lbs in 7 days juice detox a few times and LOVES it. We are going to do a 5 day detox next week. How did you track your intake on MFP? I have the app with the shopping list; wondering if I should list out the ingredients in each juice per day?

Wow, way to resurrect a near year old dead thread, thanks for that. Detoxes are for the feeble minded, or those who have had their liver, kidneys, intestinal tract, as well as a host of other organs removed and somehow managed to survive the ordeal, which group do you belong to?

Rigger
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

I'm curious. How will you and your husband know that you are completely detoxed? Is there a test? Can you feel it? I am genuinely baffled at why people think this does anything. Maybe you can help me understand.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I hate the term "detox juicing" I prefer "reboot" because as everyone says, pooping and peeing and sweating are detoxing. My dad and I did the 10 day reboot from fat sick and nearly dead, and I logged the juices, which came to around 1200 cals. As long as you get appropriate cals, and do a 80/20 veg/fruit ratio you will do fine. Drink tons of water, as you should always do, and if you are hungry there is no harm in eating some of the fruits or veggies you were going to juice. I lost 15 pounds in 10 days and kept it off for a while....then started eating crap again and back to where I started. My dad had lost 20, but same scenario.

Think of this as a weight loss tool, NOT a miracle cleanse, even though you can juice everyday, you shouldnt just think you can juice and magically become skinny right afterwards. And be sure to hit at least 1200 cals, and even write in your notes on your food log how you are feeling that day. If you cant afford organic, make sure you wash your veggies with a veggie wash or a little white vinegar
  • RandaRae16
    I didn't ask for opinions, only wanted to know if anyone had a tracking system for juice diets as it's my first one.

Beachlover317 - it's a well known program by Jason Vale (5 lbs in 5 days / 7 lbs in 7 days) and we are using it as a diet reset for the new year. I had twins in June and we are done having kids. I'm no longer nursing and want to get back to my pre-baby weight so I feel good about my body and can keep up with our 3 kids. There's no test and I'm not looking to strip my body of nutrients. Google it - there's a ton of info out there on Jason Vale, Juice Master.

Thanks dumb_blondes - I think you are the first person to "get it" here! :) It's a way for me to reset the dial and get back on a healthy track instead of eating for 3 like I was when I was pregnant.
  • RandaRae16
    Wow, way to resurrect a near year old dead thread, thanks for that. Detoxes are for the feeble minded, or those who have had their liver, kidneys, intestinal tract, as well as a host of other organs removed and somehow managed to survive the ordeal, which group do you belong to?

Rigger
    [/quote]

Gee thanks for the support, NavyRigger. Your comment on being feeble minded was ALMOST appreciated. I'm a healthy person that works out daily but wouldn't mind shedding the weight I gained carrying twin boys full term and giving birth in June. Being a full-time working mother of 3 kids that is doing something healthy with my husband for our own benefit I'll assume that you are an *kitten*-hat that needs to meddle in everyone's business.

I didn't ask for opinions, only wanted to know if anyone had a tracking system for juice diets as it's my first one. Since you don't have anything positive to say but only condemn our choice to jump start our weigh loss and a new diet plan for the new year, I will take your unfitting comments and wish you well.
  • Can anyone explain the science behind juice detoxing and how it's beneficial? I guess anything that makes you feel better and doesn't make you gravely ill or dead is alright, but... why?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member

Rigger
    Gee thanks for the support, NavyRigger. Your comment on being feeble minded was ALMOST appreciated. I'm a healthy person that works out daily but wouldn't mind shedding the weight I gained carrying twin boys full term and giving birth in June. Being a full-time working mother of 3 kids that is doing something healthy with my husband for our own benefit I'll assume that you are an *kitten*-hat that needs to meddle in everyone's business.

I didn't ask for opinions, only wanted to know if anyone had a tracking system for juice diets as it's my first one. Since you don't have anything positive to say but only condemn our choice to jump start our weigh loss and a new diet plan for the new year, I will take your unfitting comments and wish you well.

Rigger is not being an *kitten*-hat. They're telling the truth. I'm sorry you don't like what you hear. Detoxes are a load of bull-ploppers, if you know what I mean. They're short term, meaning what little water weight you lose will be gained back once you start eating actual food again. It's not healthy and it's just foolish to do. There is no need to "jumpstart" your diet or fitness. You're not a car. All you need to do is start eating a little better, eat at a deficit and move around more. That's all there is to it.

Oh and if you post on a PUBLIC FORUM, don't be surprised if you get people telling you that your plan is foolish, because it is.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member

Rigger

I understand the concept, but the reality is there is no dial to reset. All you need to do to "get back on a healthy track" is start eating for one again, and, BOOM... you're on track. Getting your calories from nothing but fruit and vegetable juice rather than regular food doesn't do anything magical... you'll just be at a (probably extreme) deficit for a few days and not consuming a few key nutrients your body needs to operate at its peak. Of course you could do many worse things to your body, but drinking nothing but juice for days on end is not something healthy to do with your husband to start the new year.

If you're looking at it as sort of a mental or psychological reset, like a punishing diet gauntlet you make yourself run through before eating normally again I can see it being a "reset" in that sense, but still it's not anything healthy to do and will probably set yourself up to eat like mad once you get through it.

But if you go ahead with it and need a tracking system, why would it be any more complicated than just logging the stuff you put through the juicer?