How much is too much - water???

Options
About how much water is the right amount per day? I don't know if I am drinking too much water or not. I'm drinking anywhere from 64 - 128 ounces of water a day. Mostly MORE than the 64 - if I drink that little that is a bad day for me. I just do not know if I'm over doing the water or not. And I'm not forcing myself to drink it. I'm just to use to carrying my water bottle with me everywhere I go so I can avoid the temptation of soda (I usually only have one soda a day).

Anyway, just wondering your thoughts. :) Thanks!

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    About how much water is the right amount per day? I don't know if I am drinking too much water or not. I'm drinking anywhere from 64 - 128 ounces of water a day. Mostly MORE than the 64 - if I drink that little that is a bad day for me. I just do not know if I'm over doing the water or not. And I'm not forcing myself to drink it. I'm just to use to carrying my water bottle with me everywhere I go so I can avoid the temptation of soda (I usually only have one soda a day).

Anyway, just wondering your thoughts. :) Thanks!

Goal is almost clear urine by your early afternoon bathroom breaks. That is what I use for water guidelines.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I don't know about clear urine...sounds like too much. I've always heard that your urine should look like lemonade, so if it looks like apple juice, drink more water. If it looks like water, drink less.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    128oz is far from too much, you're probably safe.
  • JennyJo23
    JennyJo23 Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't drink any sodas at all have been soda free for going on 3 years. I drink lots of water anywhere between 8-15 glasses a day. However since I take a multivitamin my urine isn't clear, it's a bright neon color. I was told nothing past 20 glasses but who knows with water.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer (ex-personal trainer) told me I should drink half my body weight in oz of water. Hope that helps!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I don't drink any sodas at all have been soda free for going on 3 years. I drink lots of water anywhere between 8-15 glasses a day. However since I take a multivitamin my urine isn't clear, it's a bright neon color. I was told nothing past 20 glasses but who knows with water.

Yeah some multi's can make for some bright colors. I took Orange Triad mutli for a long time and that along with some other supplements I took made my urine almost neon lol. If you are taking certain supplements they'll recommend you drink even more water, sometimes over a gallon of water.
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I feel much better. I watched the episode of NCIS when those guys drank all that water and it killed them. I know, I know... it's just t.v. lol

Thanks!:happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you're peeing every few minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer (ex-personal trainer) told me I should drink half my body weight in oz of water. Hope that helps!

I think this would be the most accurate. Needs vary based on body...

I can't even drink half my body weight, I get extremely dizzy and nauseous when I get up to the 64oz mark..
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your urine should be pale yellow (not necessarily first thing in the morning). There's no need to drink a lot of water. You get lots of fluids just from the foods you eat. Milk, juice, soup, coffee, tea, fruits, veggies, all mostly water.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    That's up to you, I generally go by pee color, but some people can't stomach to have that much fluid in them, so really it is when you are feeling full from it.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have this bizarre rule when it comes to drinking water, I drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I'm no longer thirsty. I know, bizarre, right
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I feel much better. I watched the episode of NCIS when those guys drank all that water and it killed them. I know, I know... it's just t.v. lol

Thanks!:happy:

The USDA recommends about 90 oz. of water a day for women.
    The kidneys can process about 15 liters of water a day and in general is not dangerous short-term if it is spread out during the day.
    One of the main concerns is hyponatremia, or low blood sodium levels which can adversely affect body functions.

When I was was doing my psychiatric clinical in nursing school there was a patient diagnosed with Water Intoxication. We would have to chase him down the halls to keep him away from the sinks and showers.
    One of those things you never forget...
  • Mrs_Fit
    Mrs_Fit Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer advised that you should drink half of your body weight (in ounces) of water a day, so for instance if you weigh 140 lbs, you should drink 70 oz of water a day. This is hard to do and I am still working up to it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you when you need to drink water. Its not that hard. honestly.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have this bizarre rule when it comes to drinking water, I drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I'm no longer thirsty. I know, bizarre, right

:laugh: That's the method to my madness too!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

tumblr_lmx0g6UYeV1qbub2i.gif
  • runrogerrun
    runrogerrun Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drank 96 ounces the day before a half marathon last summer and at mile 12, my body gave out. That much water before a race day wipes out all the necessary nutrients to run that long. Other than that, I think it is what you are doing that would require water. If you are at a desk all day, you don't need that much. If you are working out in the heat, then you obviously need more
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

^^This
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    128oz is far from too much, you're probably safe.

You can't tell someone that 128 oz (4 L) is too much without knowing anything about their activity level, how hot/dry the climate they are in is, what kinds of food they eat, etc. Also, everyone is different. If I drink less than 2L on a day when I do no extra physical activity I end up dehydrated, with a headache and sudden exhaustion in the early afternoon. If it's warm, if I go to the gym, if I eat something salty, then I need a lot more. The other day I ended up around 6L, and still showed signs of dehydration the next morning.