How much is too much - water???

Options

Replies

• srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't know about clear urine...sounds like too much. I've always heard that your urine should look like lemonade, so if it looks like apple juice, drink more water. If it looks like water, drink less.

That is supposed to be for your first pee of the morning not a consistent all day thing.

Also-if you take too many vitamins/supplements it will be darker and some prescription medications can make it darker/lighter.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have this bizarre rule when it comes to drinking water, I drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I'm no longer thirsty. I know, bizarre, right

tumblr_lmx0g6UYeV1qbub2i.gif

LOL!
    I agree with most people on here. I do tend to drink until my urine is clear, or almost clear, it shows you are not dehydrated, and if you are working your butt off exercising, you need to for sure stay hydrated!
  • raspberryk
    raspberryk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling thirsty h then you're already dehydrated apparently.
    I drink about 3 litres fluid inc tea andcoffee, I've always done this.
    X
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    128oz is far from too much, you're probably safe.

You can't tell someone that 128 oz (4 L) is too much without knowing anything about their activity level, how hot/dry the climate they are in is, what kinds of food they eat, etc. Also, everyone is different. If I drink less than 2L on a day when I do no extra physical activity I end up dehydrated, with a headache and sudden exhaustion in the early afternoon. If it's warm, if I go to the gym, if I eat something salty, then I need a lot more. The other day I ended up around 6L, and still showed signs of dehydration the next morning.

Read it again. It says FAR FROM TOO MUCH not far too much.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    drink as much as you need. its water its not gonna kill you. most pro Bodybuilders drink 1.5-2 gallons a day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Cuz the average person is a pro body builder so we all need to do what they do!
  • dstromley1
    Options
    no but they are the smartest people on the planet when it comes to changeing and manipulating ther body, way to be a smart *kitten* tho
  • gfiorine
    gfiorine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    drink as much as you need. its water its not gonna kill you. most pro Bodybuilders drink 1.5-2 gallons a day.
    Actually you can. A radio station in Seattle had a "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest a few years ago and a mother of 3 died from drinking too much water.
    http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2003529990_water18.html
  • dstromley1
    Options
    Actually you can. A radio station in Seattle had a "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest a few years ago and a mother of 3 died from drinking too much water.
    http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2003529990_water18.html

Your correct water intoxication can kill. but if u drink a gallon throghout the day its not gonaa happen, you have to consume a lot in a short period of time
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Your correct water intoxication can kill. but if u drink a gallon throghout the day its not gonaa happen, you have to consume a lot in a short period of time

like when your spouse or significant other holds you under it until the bubbles stop?
  • Goldie_13
    Goldie_13 Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I feel much better. I watched the episode of NCIS when those guys drank all that water and it killed them. I know, I know... it's just t.v. lol

Thanks!:happy:

You can drink too much water & die from it! It's actually hard to do but it can happen.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options

When I was was doing my psychiatric clinical in nursing school there was a patient diagnosed with Water Intoxication. We would have to chase him down the halls to keep him away from the sinks and showers.
    One of those things you never forget...

When I was a nurse on a medical floor we had a guy who drank 5-6 gallons of water per day. His sodium level was incredibly low and he was in restraints because it made him absolutely nuts. He was really funny, but definitely in need of medical and psychiatric help. I think of him once in a while when I'm drinking my water.
  • MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you wait until you're thirsty to start drinking your water - your body is already starting to be dehydrated.

Instead of guzzling a bunch of water to get in a certain amount - you should be sipping all day long. Yes foods have lots of liquds in them but you aren't going to get all the fluid that your body needs from your fluids.

I would say 90-120 ounces is a good place to shoot for. 64oz is the bare minimum that people need, most people need more than that.

All things that are liquid count as liquids in my totals. However I only drink water, unsweetened iced tea, and kefir. I don't drink soda or sweetened beverages (other than kefir).
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer (ex-personal trainer) told me I should drink half my body weight in oz of water. Hope that helps!
    this is exactly what I have read in all my research on the topic of water. this is what I have been doing for the past 2 months, since joing MFP. It seems to work for me.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

When I was was doing my psychiatric clinical in nursing school there was a patient diagnosed with Water Intoxication. We would have to chase him down the halls to keep him away from the sinks and showers.
    One of those things you never forget...

When I was a nurse on a medical floor we had a guy who drank 5-6 gallons of water per day. His sodium level was incredibly low and he was in restraints because it made him absolutely nuts. He was really funny, but definitely in need of medical and psychiatric help. I think of him once in a while when I'm drinking my water.

All the lovely memories we accumulate...
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A couple of "Rules of thumb" that I go by and teach my clients.

1. 1/2 body weight in ounces. Not all at once though. Me for example: 175lbs. so that's ~88 ounces a day. Divide that by the number of hours you're awake. Again for me, 18 hours. Divide 88/18 = 5 ounces an hour. More before, during and after exercise.

2. Dehydration - a USAF survival course instructor of mine said it best - if you don't feel like you have to pee, you're probably dehydrated - Drink something!

My $0.02
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    We actually had somebody in Basic Training die from drinking TOO much water. Drank nearly 14 Canteens +
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    I was drinking 24 glasses a day and my mom finally questioned me about that she didn't realize I was drinking so much water 8 glasses of water is what you suppose to drink a day, I have read articles about drinking water you can get water poisoning, you should look it up and read about it I cut mines to 8 sometimes 10 no more than that
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went to a nutritionist who said 8 oz for every 25 lbs of body weight...

So if you weight 300 lbs that's 12 - 8oz glasses

If you weight 150 only 6 glasses
    A couple of "Rules of thumb" that I go by and teach my clients.

1. 1/2 body weight in ounces. Not all at once though. Me for example: 175lbs. so that's ~88 ounces a day. Divide that by the number of hours you're awake. Again for me, 18 hours. Divide 88/18 = 5 ounces an hour. More before, during and after exercise.

2. Dehydration - a USAF survival course instructor of mine said it best - if you don't feel like you have to pee, you're probably dehydrated - Drink something!

My $0.02
    Hmmm?

I'm really bad at hitting numbers consistently so I'd say give yourself a range
    According to the post above 88oz for a 175 lbs
    According to my old nutritionist only 56 oz for 175 lbs

So I'd say anywhere between 56-88oz depending on what you are most comfortable with.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I go by the color of my pee. So that means I generally drink 10-14 (8 oz.) glasses a day.