Unrelated ?'s on racks and tight pants...

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    oh sweet jesus, is this thread really going on??

i'll squat, dead lift, and over head press where ever i want. a squat rack or the power cage is usually where i do them. why? because they're generally free and open.

the other day i was dead lifting in front of the power cage, with the trap bar. why? because its the only place with floor space. i left the barbell on the rack. a guy came up to me in between sets and asked if i was using the barbell. i said no, and told him that if he wanted to do squats, to just jump right in (someone was using the squat rack for squats). I said yes, and i moved over a few feet to not be right behind the guy.

yesterday i went to my other gym to go do overhead press. someone was actually on the squat rack doing squats (gasp!!) no power cage or anything, and i was a little tired and didn't feel like cleaning the barbell from the ground. so guess what? i went to do bench press.

really how is this a big deal?? and yeah, if you want to do shrugs in the squat rack, or bicep curls, i don't really care either. the safety handles make it easy so you don't have to lift it off the ground.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Secondly, to the ladies: What's the deal with undies under yoga pants/spandex/etc? Perpetual wedgie is not a good look....

Judgemental much?

How is this judgmental? Saying something looks bad is just pointing out a fact. Calling that woman a sl*t and a wh*re because of it, now THAT would be judgmental. Get your definitions straight before crawling up someone's butt, mmmkay?

An opinion is not a fact.

It still doesn't make it judgmental.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

i'll squat, dead lift, and over head press where ever i want. a squat rack or the power cage is usually where i do them. why? because they're generally free and open.

the other day i was dead lifting in front of the power cage, with the trap bar. why? because its the only place with floor space. i left the barbell on the rack. a guy came up to me in between sets and asked if i was using the barbell. i said no, and told him that if he wanted to do squats, to just jump right in (someone was using the squat rack for squats). I said yes, and i moved over a few feet to not be right behind the guy.

yesterday i went to my other gym to go do overhead press. someone was actually on the squat rack doing squats (gasp!!) no power cage or anything, and i was a little tired and didn't feel like cleaning the barbell from the ground. so guess what? i went to do bench press.

really how is this a big deal?? and yeah, if you want to do shrugs in the squat rack, or bicep curls, i don't really care either. the safety handles make it easy so you don't have to lift it off the ground.

You're dead to me, I'm defriending you, taking my ball and going home.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This has been an enlightening thread for me!

Not for the cage question - I barely know what that is, but for the underwear comments. I had NO idea people didn't wear underwear with their pants. Not my choice, but to each her own. I wear thongs personally. Seems more hygienic. And TMI, but I saw a woman wearing a short workout skirt that came with these bloomers underneath, and when she bent over (I was behind her in a class), I could see, let's call it "residue". Guess that was the only underwear she had on. NOT a good look and she could have benefited from another layer. EW.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Pretty much. I love threads like this. So full of win.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do overhead presses in the power rack. It's adjustable just for this purpose if I have to drop the bar. I use the power rack mainly for squatting though and I never do squats in the curl rack!

Oh and the comment above about residue, blech!!!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    At the gym where I go, I use one of the 2 squat racks for squats and for dead lifts because the only floor space available for dead lifts is right in front of the squat rack. There are 3 Smith machines, but nobody uses them, and they're really, really shiny. Except one guy who uses them for shrugs because his traps are the size of my head.

There is one extra bar in the area, but you still have to use it in front of the squat racks. The squat racks are also where all the bumper plates are housed for dead lifting, and where all the signs asking us to please use the squat racks for dead lifting are located.

And I do it commando. Please stop staring.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Nice post Sean. This is classic.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    why does every one keep sayin dead lifts in a rack? you deadlift off the ground last time i checked?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    why does every one keep sayin dead lifts in a rack? you deadlift off the ground last time i checked?

Rack pulls are essentially deadlifts in the rack with the bar elevated. Some folks like to do that and call it a DL.

Some people also prefer to have the bar very slightly elevated especially if working with smaller plates.
  • dstromley1
    Options

Rack pulls are essentially deadlifts in the rack with the bar elevated. Some folks like to do that and call it a DL.

Some people also prefer to have the bar very slightly elevated especially if working with smaller plates.

Yea i k what rack pulls are. ITs a movment to help your sticking point in REAL deadlifts.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My butt goes to the gym to work out, not to be looked at. However, if someone feels like looking at it long enough to see whether I have panty lines or not, then I suppose my butt has made some progress and I can enjoy the fact that it's not completely repulsive.

That being said, I do aim for wearing thongs to the gym. If I haven't done much laundry and don't have any clean ones, then I'll just wear whatever I do have clean, my underwear drawer has never stopped me from working out. Going to the gym - the place where sweating is what I go for - commando sounds just gross to me.

About the squat racks, no clue whatsoever.
  • Cognito1025
    Options

Stack some 25's on the floor to make a couple platforms, problem solved.
  • dstromley1
    Options

^ or use a few mats. MOral of the story use the rack for whatever u want but if someone wants to squat be considerate and move, PEople will \get pissed at u for wasting ther time. ik if i gotta wait for 15 mins to start squating im not very happy.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I assumed they meant just to put the weights on the bar and then back out into open floorspace to start your workout and the part where we use the rack to rack the barbell is bad etiquette
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

why do you need to use the rack for deadlifts? I really don't get that. There is no benefit to using the rack for them. or for pendlay rows or for OHP. I can see using it if you're pushing your Bench to the max without a spotter. And for squats. And good mornings. But i really see no reason to use the rack other than for safety.

For deadlifts: Because its a bloody pain in the *kitten* getting the plates on and off. If no-one is using it and no-one is waiting for it what business is it of anyone's?

Also, one of my warm up weights is less than 135lb and I am not about to use bumper plates if I can help it as it affects the stability of the bar and they are also a pain in the *kitten*.

Also, for rows...what about if your sets are less than 135lb also?

Plus, I am not about to risk trying to clean the bar up for OHP at the weight I do my working set.

Oh, but I do go commando so I have no wedgie issue.

That's funny. I had no idea people could OHP weights they couldn't clean.

I am willing to concede there may be a time that the squat rack is a good place to rack your OHP, but I still think the PT in the hypothetical was being a douche.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I can understand doing this in a pinch totally and have - I mean - you should have seen my clumsy *kitten* racking and unracking weights on the trap bar yesterday - comical at best. But, if the squat rack is there and unoccupied... and you don't want to steal 6 25# plates from the the other weight stations... I dont see it as bad etiquette to rack the bar there and then back out and away.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

^ or use a few mats. MOral of the story use the rack for whatever u want but if someone wants to squat be considerate and move, PEople will \get pissed at u for wasting ther time. ik if i gotta wait for 15 mins to start squating im not very happy.

I wasn't talking about me (I use the power rack for rack pulls when I do them) just answering your question about why people may "deadlift" in the rack. That being said, the only time I really get irate with people in the squat rack is when they use them to curl when the curl rack is open. I see more people doing that than DL or doing rack pulls in the squat rack.
  • Cognito1025
    Options

I can understand doing this in a pinch totally and have - I mean - you should have seen my clumsy *kitten* racking and unracking weights on the trap bar yesterday - comical at best. But, if the squat rack is there and unoccupied... and you don't want to steal 6 25# plates from the the other weight stations... I dont see it as bad etiquette to rack the bar there and then back out and away.

Totally agree, and I do it too. My issue is when I ask nicely to sub in to knock out some squats and I get attitude.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Yea i k what rack pulls are. ITs a movment to help your sticking point in REAL deadlifts.

I put the bar to the ground on deadlifts in front of the rack. I meant deadlifts. We don't have extra bars or bumper plates available for DL.