I'm a sneaky dad... :-)

Options
13»

Replies

• christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    There's a whole cookbook dedicated to doing just that.

http://www.doitdelicious.com/cookbooks/deceptively_delicious

I will be checking this out! Thanks!:smile:
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As far as trust, I'm not sure this will all of a sudden make my kids lose their trust in me, but I appreciate the concern. :-)

When I was younger (maybe 8-9), my mom tried to get us to start eating ground turkey. She snuck it into our sloppy joes and Dad and I willingly ate it. She did this a few times. Then, one day I saw the packaging in the trash. I asked her if the last few batches had been turkey and she unwillingly told me yes.

20 years later, I REFUSE to eat sloppy joes!

True story.

When you have kids, you'll do the same thing to them, once you realize all they want to eat is "insert super unhealthy food here".
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've hidden them for my kids in the past too. But I also made them eat a very small amount of every vegetable I prepared for that meal. No exceptions. My idea was to help them "acquire a taste" for veggies. When I compared them to other teenagers their age that came into our home, I would say I was wildly successful.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used to make "mac N Cheese" using only the powdered packet of cheese from Kraft over squash for my kids. They seriously thought for numerous years that squash was the noodles.

My youngest was about 6 when she figured out the deception. A friend she went to playdate with had scooby doo shape noodles from kraft and she figured out her noodles didn't taste like our noodles.

Kudos for you!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Did you tell them what you did afterwards?

Not yet... I am goi g to give it a few meals and then present it to them... That way I can let them know that have had them a few times now, so it's no big deal to eat them without being hidden... I may even find that they like it they way it is, and I will keep "hiding" them.. Heck I could even make it a game... Guess the hidden veggie... Then they will always want them!

I don't know about your kids, but with mine, the key would be to keep it 'not a big deal'. For example, I'd just say very casually "oh, yeah, that's just how we make them" and then drop it. If I made it sound in any way like I tricked them or put one over on them, they might refuse to eat them just to save face or dig in their heels- does that make any sense? My kids are 5 & 7, so maybe it's age or just all kids are different, but this what would work best to make sure mine kept eating them ;)
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    WoW!!!!!! I'm so going to try this. Hahaha, love it :)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I do that to my kids all the time. A friend of mine said it was deception and not healthy mentally. I told her who cares. Good nutrition leads to higher test scores, which may yield a good job. A good job with insurance thus enabling them to pay for a therapist.

yup!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Great idea! :flowerforyou:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There's a cookbook called deceptively delicious.. all kinds of nifty tricks like that.. just FYI..

I do that with tomatoes and mushrooms cause my son will eat everything else. just not those 2. LOL