21 day Challenge - JOIN IN

Options

Replies

• Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    @ jezy// @ etaylor // @ bjune

great tracking and moving your progress along!!

@ kcaffee

great tracking and great feedback / encouragement for the group!!! Thanks for that!

Trish
  • Trishajac
    Options
    Nothing for me to really report for the past couple of days.... a quick note to say I was not feeling well yesterday - walk in clinic doctor said looks like symptoms of "stroke" - battery of tests ordered.....appts to be made.... - Emergency room @ hospital today.... and several hours later left with a diagnosis of "Bells Palsy".... I JUST celebrated my 51st birthday ... and this has been the scariest two days .... I have some medication, and all symptoms "may" disappear... (with any luck that will be my case).... anyway - I've been zapped.... of any energy / enthusiasm... I do hope to get back on track soon!

:flowerforyou:
  • 9Outlander
    9Outlander Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to start this challenge. I haven't exercised in a while. I'm 50 and really out of shape. I belong to a gym and live in a neighborhood I can walk in. What do I start with? Any helpful tips?
  • Trishajac
    Options
    I want to start this challenge. I haven't exercised in a while. I'm 50 and really out of shape. I belong to a gym and live in a neighborhood I can walk in. What do I start with? Any helpful tips?

@ lar315 - - - WELCOME to the Challenge!!

The folks in the challenge are in different places.. some are just starting - some are in a 2nd or 3rd round of 21 days.

The idea is to do some sort of exercise / fitness for 21 days - to try and form a habit. I am 51 years of age (just turned) ... and walking is where it's at (mostly) for me! I have increased my time from when I started the challenge and changed the route in my neighbourhood to add hills, etc.

You can check out the other participants posts... we have swimmers, runner/joggers, walkers, gym work, fitness programs / tapes, etc.....

If you can find something you like - you will be more likely to continue!

Good luck and we all look forward to your posts!

Trish
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    totally forgot to check in last night so,

Round 2 day 16 -- mowed the lawn and finished cleaning for the family to get here. That's why I forgot. They showed up.

Round 2 day 17 -- 5k day!!!! Did great in my opinion. 45.37 took a little over a minute off of my time for the the March 5k. Next one will be even better. This evening went to my nephews how and played with my great nephews on the swings and slides and monkey bars. I hope to sleep well tonight.
  • ellen_kay
    Options

Baby steps. If you are as out of shape as you say. I would start with some short walks and build up. Don't try to do it all at once. Maybe go to the gym and use a treadmill if you don't want to be outside. Glad to see you here and wanting to start. Good luck.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    Round 1-Day 1 was today-walked around the city for about 4-5 hours.
    tomorrow-elliptical for a half hour and maybe a walk on the mountain!
  • Trishajac
    Options
    Round 1-Day 1 was today-walked around the city for about 4-5 hours.
    tomorrow-elliptical for a half hour and maybe a walk on the mountain!

@ Beautyandthebeef!

Welcome to our Challenge!

You will find very supportive participants here - and we look forward to your check ins!!

T

• kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Nothing for me to really report for the past couple of days.... a quick note to say I was not feeling well yesterday - walk in clinic doctor said looks like symptoms of "stroke" - battery of tests ordered.....appts to be made.... - Emergency room @ hospital today.... and several hours later left with a diagnosis of "Bells Palsy".... I JUST celebrated my 51st birthday ... and this has been the scariest two days .... I have some medication, and all symptoms "may" disappear... (with any luck that will be my case).... anyway - I've been zapped.... of any energy / enthusiasm... I do hope to get back on track soon!

If you hadn't tattled on yourself, I would never have guessed you were anywhere NEAR that age. 30's maybe, low 40's max. You wear your age well!
  • Trishajac
    Options

If you hadn't tattled on yourself, I would never have guessed you were anywhere NEAR that age. 30's maybe, low 40's max. You wear your age well!

Thanks Kcaffee!! sweet of you to say!

Trish
  • Trishajac
    Options
    Round 3 - Day 20 - 16 June 2013

Outside for approx. 5 hours today.... yardwork - weeding / trimming trees, shrubs and bushes / raking; more weeding!

It was a good day....

• kcaffee1
    Options
    Round 3, day 15

9 rounds the loser against the weed eater today. Parents finally broke down so that I get a new one to play with NEXT week! The old gas powered one works (kind of - if you count 15 mins of fighting the thing to get it started, only to be able to run it about 10 mins or so before having to restring it because I can't stay away from the rocks, house foundation, or poles in the middle of the yard) I may not have been WEED EATING the entire hour I was in the sun, but I'm claiming the entire time because of the fight I had with the machine! (And, yes, I lost - only about 1/4 of the perimeter of the house was completed.)

HRM pedometer reports an additional 22 mins walking - must have been the time mom and I were scrounging around town to find an extra battery for the new one.

@ tazmac - 5 HOURS?!? Wow, that's some dedication! Good for you!

@ beautyandthebeef - Also a welcome from me. Look forward to seeing your check ins!
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    Didn't do the elliptical but walk on the mountain for 30 mins and also about 2 hours shopping! :D
  • ellen_kay
    Options
    Round 2 day 18 -- still recovering from yesterdays activities. Very tired. Got dad on the road home and took a nap. Probably would have been a couch potato all day, but ate too much at lunch. So, I just got done with a leisurely walk of 50 at almost 3 mph.
  • Trishajac
    Options
    @ Beautyandthebeef

Good moving for you with your walk for your Day 1... and Day 2 your walk on the mountain and hours of shopping all add up! Good going!

@ kcaffee

Day 15 in your 3rd round..... awesome work with the weed wacking!! and your 22 min walk. --- no end to yard work eh?? good for calorie burning!

@ etaylor

Round 2 day 18 -- I am impressed with your 50 min walk... to me that would be a definite "E" for effort on your fitness challenge!!

Way to go everyone!!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    @ Beautyandthebeef - Great walking! I know when I'm out shopping I probably walk more then that I ever do at the gym. Partly, it's because it is all "stop and go" as you shop, but also because most of the time, I lose track of what time it is. Especially if I'm hunting for "just the right" item!

@ etaylor - Way to go! Doing anything when you don't want to counts as a huge victory! Keep it coming.

Round 3, day 16

Got out of class early today, so when I got home started in on the house chores - got to use the new weed eater today (if you have the option, the cordless ones are GREAT!) Was shocked that I'd been going for over a half hour when the battery died on me. (Heavy Johnson grass + cordless anything = short battery life) But, at least it looks like I got farther than I did, since the front is done!

And, finally got around to getting laundry done - I've been losing the "I will/ I won't" fight all weekend on getting chores done.
  • Trishajac
    Options
    Round 3 - Day 21 - 17 June 2013

Had about 15 min of walk this morning ... and went out for a 23 min walk this evening (to top things up!)..... some cleaning around the house this morning... and I'll call it a day!

YAY - ANOTHER ROUND COMPLETED.

this took me a little longer as I didn't count days I didn't add fitness - .... even included health setbacks....but - got'er done!!

keeping it going - on to Round 4!

• Trishajac
    Options

Round 3, day 16

Got out of class early today, so when I got home started in on the house chores - got to use the new weed eater today (if you have the option, the cordless ones are GREAT!) Was shocked that I'd been going for over a half hour when the battery died on me. (Heavy Johnson grass + cordless anything = short battery life) But, at least it looks like I got farther than I did, since the front is done!

And, finally got around to getting laundry done - I've been losing the "I will/ I won't" fight all weekend on getting chores done.

@ kcaffee

good for you on getting chores done!! love the bonuses I always say!!

The end of the 3rd round is also just around the corner! Great work!
  • ellen_kay
    Options
    Round 2 day 19 -- did circuit training for 20 min and then the bike for 30. It has been a Monday and I am done.

Good job everyone for sticking with it.
  • jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    day 5 - 6/14 - nike trainer & plank moves
    day 6 - 6/15 - lots of sqauts & a brisk walk
    day 7 - 6/16 - walk, walk, walking (was out of town, but went to an art festival with a friend!)
    day 8 - 6/17 - yard work (weeding, spraying, mulching) & nike trainer
    day 9 - 6/18 - AM workout = nike trainer, PM plans = bocce & maybe elliptical if I get home early