I stink at running!! Really :/

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I stink at it too, and am pretty slow. I have noticed that I feel better because of it though, and am happy with my slow and gradual improvements.

Stick with it! :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thats a good start dont be upset you will get faster :)
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Running was never my thing I constantly need to pee tmi I know anyways I do love walking though!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hey, it takes time, i was a smoker, and never ran, it is now MY FAV!
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I am on week four as well. It was a killer but I am pretty proud that I made it through the first day. Doing the second workout tonight so I figure if I did it once I can do it again tonight. Stay with it!
  • ValerieAnne84
    Options
    I'm crap at running myself, lol. I don't know why, my feet just don't want to co-operate lmao. I def say do NOT give up though!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Not many people are good runners. The physical portion is pretty easy, it's the mental state that gets people.

Determination will get you there. Keep at it.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose is to quit. I started C25k not able to run more than 30 seconds in January, and finished a 5k last month with a time of 34 minutes. Then, this morning, I barely made it a full mile. It just wasn't happening. It's you versus the road, and sometimes the road just wins. It's never easy, only fun sometimes, but ALWAYS worth it. Just stick with it, give it your all, and it WILL happen. :)

You have to find a pace that you're comfortable with and stick with it until you are able to go faster. I really did stink at running about 4 years ago and nearly quit.....just last month I ran a marathon (26.2 miles). You also have to continue to train your core area and do some cross training in order to be an effective runner. Running alone won't cut it. Good luck!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick with it if you like it. Running is tough, requires a lot of training for your body – your body temperature, heart rate, lung capacity, bones, muscles, joints, pretty much everything is trained for running. Especially distance running. Your body will get there with work, in the meantime just enjoy the process (and the runner's high!)
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    The only way to lose is to quit. I started C25k not able to run more than 30 seconds in January, and finished a 5k last month with a time of 34 minutes. Then, this morning, I barely made it a full mile. It just wasn't happening. It's you versus the road, and sometimes the road just wins. It's never easy, only fun sometimes, but ALWAYS worth it. Just stick with it, give it your all, and it WILL happen. :)

You have to find a pace that you're comfortable with and stick with it until you are able to go faster. I really did stink at running about 4 years ago and nearly quit.....just last month I ran a marathon (26.2 miles). You also have to continue to train your core area and do some cross training in order to be an effective runner. Running alone won't cut it. Good luck!

This. and congratulations on the marathon!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Thanks, junkie.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Really lol
    I am training for a 5k and am on week 4 of the C25K program (run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile and repeat).
    My fastest pace this week has been 15 min/mile averaging a 3.5 mph pace.
    I know this stinks! Is it even worth it?
    I really do like running. In high school I ran track but was a sprinter (100yd and 200yd dash, relays). I have never had endurance.
    I feel bummed because everyone seems to be doing <10 min miles.
    Should I give it up and try something else?

Don't give up, I promise you not everyone runs a 10 minute mile. After about a year of training and running for fun I run in the eleven minute range. Just do it because you love it and eventually work on speed. Actually I don't think that program trains for speen just endurance. So once you finish it you can look up tempo runs and start trying to get faster. I do tempo runs as well. Good luck girl I know you can do it.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Do not quit. Do not give up, ever.

This reminds me of a t-shirt I saw at local 10K. This big guy was wearing a shirt that read, "I know I'm slow, but I'm still faster than the guy on the couch."

Love it!
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Really lol
    I am training for a 5k and am on week 4 of the C25K program (run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile and repeat).
    My fastest pace this week has been 15 min/mile averaging a 3.5 mph pace.
    I know this stinks! Is it even worth it?
    I really do like running. In high school I ran track but was a sprinter (100yd and 200yd dash, relays). I have never had endurance.
    I feel bummed because everyone seems to be doing <10 min miles.
    Should I give it up and try something else?

Don't quite, everyone starts slow, I just got back into running. [I was also a sprinter in high school] So far my fastest time has been about 40mins with and average pace of about 12-12 1/2 mins a mile. And its sucks cause I used to be able to run a 7:30 mile. But everyday it gets a little better. So just keep going and keep us updated! :)
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    LOL! I run a 14 minute mile and could not be any PROUDER of myself!! I may be slow, but I am out there doing it!!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! The more you do it, the better and faster you will become!
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Running takes months to improve on.
    I started out the same as you ran a mile in 15 minutes.
    Now I'm down to running a mile in 6 minutes.
    I go from running 1 mile to running at the most 12 miles (highest) and average 8 miles/day.
    It takes practice and time to improve on but you'll get there.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    Don't give up! Remember you're doing this for YOU! I did the couch-2-5K, and that's how I got started running! I have only been running for a little over 1yr now. I have now completed 3 -5k, 2 -1/2 marathons, and I'm about to do a mud run. At best I run a 12 min mile, and worst 14 min mile. 6 Minutes Or 16 Minutes A Mile Is Still A Mile!!!!
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Running takes months to improve.
    Took me 5-6 months to get where I'm at now.
    Longest Running Distance: 10 miles
    Average Running Distance: 8 miles
    Fastest Speed: 6 minutes/mile.

Do burpees, leg work outs, practice controlled breathing and keep practicing.

You'll get in no time.