I stink at running!! Really :/

Options
12346»

Replies

• laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When i started out i think i was doing 13:30-14 min miles last may. After running a year and losing 30 pounds i can do 11:04 miles. Still not what i consider fast but it is progress. I can't do 10 minute miles, but i CAN run 13.1 miles, and even though im slow i'm training for a marathon. My long runs may take me 4 plus hours once i'm doing 20 mile runs, but imo that takes just as much if not more than people who finish marathons in 3:30.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I started out horrible. Heck! I still am horrible, but am slowly and consistently getting better.

Getting a dog that herds me on our runs helped. He doesn't let me stop or slow down or I get nipped. If you need a free motivator I can loan him to you. He does try to pants you sometimes though.. so be warned.

Don't give up! And remember even at your worst you are still out there doing it! That's a heck of a lot better than a lot of people so you should be proud of yourself.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, don't stop! Keep going, especially since you enjoy it! I run too. I just finished week 6 day 3. My average pace for today was a 12-13 min mile, 2.81 miles total. But that's also due to the periods of walking, and the fact my dogs slow me down a bit (which shouldn't be an issue but it is!)

So just keep at it. Your endurance will build up over time. :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Unless somebody's paying you to compete, get it into your head that your competition ought to be against yourself, and so just make sure you train enough to watch your numbers improve, and don't worry about what other people are doing.

If I'm paying to run a 5K, then I'm going to run/walk it at whatever speed I can muster, and enjoy myself along the way. Just to get my money's worth.

Also, think resistance training and yoga. Two really great support systems to help people run better, stronger and faster.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race. Like others have said, once you have the endurance you will get the speed.