Q: How do I eat the calories when I'm not hungry?

Options

Replies

• jenniferwren
    Options
    MFP started me on 1370 and I now eat 1850 and it was terrifying. SOme days I plump it up with avo, nuts, cheese, nut butter, milk, wine.....

Some days I make it easily.

I'm pretty steadily losing about 1kg a week.

it's astounding, liked your post because it perfectly illustrates how difficult it is to get ones head round being 'allowed' to eat, you've put it perfectly into words for me :noway: :laugh:
  • 5hellz
    5hellz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am very accurate about my food, everything. But when I started watching what I was eating, I was drinking 5-6 20oz Mt. Dews a day (sometimes more) and 2000+ calories. I was eating late at night and in the middle of night. I wasn't a big chocolate eater or sugar eater, but carbs are my weakness. I love my breads =(

I was on the low cal diet without knowing it for a month before downloading this app and actually tracking my calorie intake so I didn't know how many calories I was taking in. When I downloaded this app, I cut out Mt. Dew almost completely and increased my water so much that I'm walking around feeling like a fish most of the time.

I go to the gym 3-5 days a week but want to increase that to every day. I do the elliptical, bike, and 30 minutes of weight training most of the time.
  • 5hellz
    Options
    Do you eat "low fat" and "lite" versions of foods? If you do, you could try switching to full fat versions.

I don't eat anything "low fat" or "lite"
  • 5hellz
    Options
    I go to the gym 3-5 days a week but want to increase that to every day. I do the elliptical, bike, and 30 minutes of weight training most of the time.

My life went from me weighing 192lbs with no action whatsoever to walking 1 lap at the track for a couple weeks, to a couple laps, to joining a gym a working my butt off and actually breaking a sweat. I can now go upstairs in my house without losing my breath.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Try eating more of your calories earlier in the day.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, banana, oatmeal, almond milk, a couple strawberries, a scoop of protein mix WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    gulp gulp gulp
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I finally have my numbers but I have no idea how I am supposed to eat this many calories? I can't even eat the 1200 calories I had as a goal before let alone the calories I exercised off....any suggestions? Btw: these are my numbers:

Estimated Base BMR: 1313 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 2035 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1535 Calories

Nutella. Secret weapon against "starvation mode."
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calorie foods works for me. Peanut butter, cook with oils, cheeses, etc.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Drink 'em :drinker: :wink:

Kidding. Eat until you're full and move on.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    DO NOT, I repeat, do not listen to your body. That's the reason we ended up here in the first place.

The hunger-regulating hormone in your body is called Leptin. It is produced proportionally to your intake. If you eat a lot, you feel more hungry. If you eat less, you feel less hungry, which is how you get anorexics eating 600 cals and saying they are not hungry.

If you find it a struggle to eat all your calories (yes, TDEE calculators produce an estimate, but that is a useful and fairly accurate estimate), increase slowly by 100 each week. Listen to science, not your body.

This chick obviously knows what she's talking about, I mean, check out that profile pic (assuming it's her)!

A great way to make sure you eat your calories is to eat more real food. OP, you say you don't eat anything "lite" or "lowfat" but you must have cut something out in order to have such a low calorie intake. Eat more calories dense foods. Snack on nuts, seeds, nut butter, eggs, etc. Add more lean protein to your diet - this is good for several reasons as you'll retain more lean muscle mass which means higher calorie burn and the physique you're likely aiming for. Cook with healthy oils. Add avocado to sandwiches and salads. Eat whole grains like steel cut oats and 100% whole wheat bread. Eat more fruits - a banana is about 100 calories, apples and oranges are about 60-80 calories depending on size.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Dessert timee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

Or a slice of pizza.
  • 5hellz
    Options
    peanut butter, banana, oatmeal, almond milk, a couple strawberries, a scoop of protein mix WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    gulp gulp gulp

this sounds really good....lol
  • 5hellz
    Options
    All of this stuff has been really helpful and I thank all of you for the help.

Mostly I have cut out the sodas. I still have a sip every now and then, but for the most part, it's when I eat. I was always eating late, really late at night, then going straight to bed which I know is very bad.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts and cheese.

I 100% agree with this! It takes some work but I'm sure you will manage ;) I have also heard that if you are eating a high amount of fats nutritionally good or not it tends to make you fuller longer so maybe alternating between the fats you need and filling some less dense foods in between as well.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    All of this stuff has been really helpful and I thank all of you for the help.

Mostly I have cut out the sodas. I still have a sip every now and then, but for the most part, it's when I eat. I was always eating late, really late at night, then going straight to bed which I know is very bad.

Unless it causes you indigestion or restless nights, eating late at night is not a bad thing and it won't impact your weight loss.
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time meeting my calorie goal as well.... something I found that helped.... I looked for breakfasts that were huge... for example...

Jimmy Dean - Meal Size Croissant Sandwiches: Sausage, Egg, and Cheese, 1 sandwich has 420 calories.... add to that my morning smoothie at 585 calories.... thats 1005 calories for just my breakfast.... makes it so much easier to hit my 2000 mark by the end of the day.... :)

So just find stuff you like... thats healthy.... and HIGH in calories.... lol.... make sense?? Hope that helps!!
  • 5hellz
    Options
    So just find stuff you like... thats healthy.... and HIGH in calories.... lol.... make sense?? Hope that helps!!

Makes perfect sense...thanks =)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    DO NOT, I repeat, do not listen to your body. That's the reason we ended up here in the first place.

The hunger-regulating hormone in your body is called Leptin. It is produced proportionally to your intake. If you eat a lot, you feel more hungry. If you eat less, you feel less hungry, which is how you get anorexics eating 600 cals and saying they are not hungry.

If you find it a struggle to eat all your calories (yes, TDEE calculators produce an estimate, but that is a useful and fairly accurate estimate), increase slowly by 100 each week. Listen to science, not your body.

This chick obviously knows what she's talking about, I mean, check out that profile pic (assuming it's her)!

A great way to make sure you eat your calories is to eat more real food. OP, you say you don't eat anything "lite" or "lowfat" but you must have cut something out in order to have such a low calorie intake. Eat more calories dense foods. Snack on nuts, seeds, nut butter, eggs, etc. Add more lean protein to your diet - this is good for several reasons as you'll retain more lean muscle mass which means higher calorie burn and the physique you're likely aiming for. Cook with healthy oils. Add avocado to sandwiches and salads. Eat whole grains like steel cut oats and 100% whole wheat bread. Eat more fruits - a banana is about 100 calories, apples and oranges are about 60-80 calories depending on size.

It is, and thank you!!!!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    gulp gulp gulp

this sounds really good....lol

Especially when you use this:

pb.jpg

or this

pbco-wcw-2012-web-lrg.jpg