Q: How do I eat the calories when I'm not hungry?

Options

Replies

• debbie6868
    Options
    I finally have my numbers but I have no idea how I am supposed to eat this many calories? I can't even eat the 1200 calories I had as a goal before let alone the calories I exercised off....any suggestions? Btw: these are my numbers:

Estimated Base BMR: 1313 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 2035 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1535 Calories

Try eating nuts or I've been told to have some peanut butter to bump calories up when not hungry.
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try for the 5 meals at 300 cals each. I struggle with snacks, cause I'm usually not hungry at the time, but I kind of eat them anyways..but make them light if I'm not hungry (peanut butter celery, half sandwich, yogurt/fruit/oats/smoothy), and when I was eating all 500 before 5 (dinner time) I was getting hungry at night and wanting to go over. So now I save myself 100-200 calories for end of day. I kind of found the menu that works for me, and I don't stress between 1300-1500 cals.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you knew how to listen to your body, and especially your hunger signals, you wouldn't be on this site.

If you are eating less than your BMR, or even less than 1200, and don't feel hungry, it is because you don't even remember what hungry feels like.

That's not necessarily true. I just like to see the number. I like tracking stuff. I have my runs tracked in 3 different spots, and my weight workouts in two haha. I listen to my body and I honestly don't care what the number of calories on a website says. And I still lose weight yay.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts and cheese.

this
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    WHat do you eat that you stay under 1200 Calories
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Don't eat calories JUST to eat them. If you're eating to reach a calorie goal, make sure that what you eat is either A) healthy or B) satsifies a craving or deep desire. Your food should always have a purpose.

Awesome point!!! I am going to put that on my fridge!!! That is right up there with "You are not a garbage disposal!" Moms with little kids understand what I mean!! Still struggle with that one at times!!

And the scale is NOT the only measurement. It is a tool. A measuring tape is a tool and a better one. I have only seen minuscule changes in the scale in the last 2 to 3 weeks but I can wear a pair of pants to work that I couldn't zip a month ago!
  • Inkybit
    Inkybit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try whole grains. I like orrowheat double fiber, high fiber tortillas, fiber one english muffins and brownies, and costco sells a bulk whole wheat spaghetti I use.

Fruit content! Especially in the morning is good for keeping you body cleansed. Bananas, melons, strawberries, apples, berries

Snack!! Eat 6-7 small meals every 2-3 hours. I do 2-3oz of food a snack, and eat 3 meals usually 1-3 oz protein each meal.

Use Veggie fillers! Caramelized onions, cheese brocolli side, satayed mushrooms.

Healthy desserts, yogurt and honey, fiber one brownies, whole wheat crepes and fruit

I eat all day, just small bits. I fill up fast.
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options
    Snickers! Cake! Pie! :smile: Once you have whatever your carb/fat/protein goals are for the day, treat yourself to whatever you like to fill in the rest. Just make sure to have at least a rough measurement of how much treating is going on because they can add up fast. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat. Eat nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado, cook with fat, dress your salads and sandwiches with fat. If you are eating enough fat, it will not be hard to reach 1535 calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I finally have my numbers but I have no idea how I am supposed to eat this many calories? I can't even eat the 1200 calories I had as a goal before let alone the calories I exercised off....any suggestions? Btw: these are my numbers:

Estimated Base BMR: 1313 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 2035 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1535 Calories

Nutella. Secret weapon against "starvation mode."

Eh, sugary chocolate is fine as a snack, but I wouldn't suggest 300 calories of it per day is the wisest choice when trying to lose weight.
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    I go to the gym 3-5 days a week but want to increase that to every day. I do the elliptical, bike, and 30 minutes of weight training most of the time.

My life went from me weighing 192lbs with no action whatsoever to walking 1 lap at the track for a couple weeks, to a couple laps, to joining a gym a working my butt off and actually breaking a sweat. I can now go upstairs in my house without losing my breath.

That's a bigger success than the scale!!! Awesome!!!

Don't go to the gym every day. Your body needs a rest plus you are more likely to burn out. You want to do something you will always do! I have been goin to the gym for 3 years now. My strength coach has me resting 2 days a week. I train with him 1 day, I have my strength workouts that he assigned 2 other days. the other 2 days are cardio - some form of HIIT -- ellptical, TurboFire. Soemtimes I go to Zumba instead for my cardio.

The point is it is stuff I enjoy and I stay active. I have only lost 15 pounds but my hubby keeps telling me how much difference he sees. My flexibility, endurance and strength are sooo different. I don't care wht the scale says. My quality of life is better and I am teaching my children much better habits. My 11 year old goes to the gym with me. he told his daddy I was stronger than him know because he saw me swinging a 40 lb kettlebell. He told me I "impressed" him! Made my whole night, let me tell you!!! :love:

Add me as a friend! We can do this together!!
  • 5hellz
    5hellz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3-5 days a week but want to increase that to every day. I do the elliptical, bike, and 30 minutes of weight training most of the time.

My life went from me weighing 192lbs with no action whatsoever to walking 1 lap at the track for a couple weeks, to a couple laps, to joining a gym a working my butt off and actually breaking a sweat. I can now go upstairs in my house without losing my breath.

That's a bigger success than the scale!!! Awesome!!!

thank you!! I appreciate it. I do feel a lot better now, and I feel a lot healthier. I have done more research and still need to do more but I've gotten some better snacks to eat and some special K protein bars to eat too
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How did you become overweight? I wish I had your problem!
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    I agree with those above, if you're not hungry, don't try and force feed yourself just because you have calories left. There will be days where you are hungrier and you can just use them then.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have regular mealtimes and eat whether I feel hungry or not. A lot of time, I don't realize how hungry I actually am before I start eating. If I wait until I'm ravenous, I eat too much.
  • 5hellz
    5hellz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I became overweight by basically having a no movement life. My life consisted of getting up, getting the kids to school, going to the couch, getting in the shower, going to bed. that was it. and i always had a mt. dew in my hand.

Most people would think that a heart attack at the age of 28 would open my eyes but it didn't. My blood pressure being so high for a year straight didn't open my eyes. My son coming to me crying and begging me to please don't leave him early like my Dad left me opened my eyes and made me realize, I need to get real about the fact that I am headed to a grave fast. So I quit smoking first on August 5, 2012 (4 year anniversary of my father losing his battle to lung cancer) and I made sure that I had that completely taken care of before I even considered diet and exercise. I quit cold turkey with no gum, patches, or pills and am still smoke free. I started this healthier me and weight loss goal on January 13, 2013 and hope to be at 125lbs by June 29th =)
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    Wow! Heart attack at 28?!?! There must be more going on than just weight?!?!

Great on the smoking! I quit 19 years ago. To this day, there are times I want one. I just know if I ever even take 1 drag, I will be hooked again. So I decide not to even try a little drag.

I really need to have this same attitude with sugar! My hubby tells me that often! I am not there yet! I really don't want to be there. I want to learn to have it in moderation but I don't know if I ever will!!
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    Don't.

^^This^^
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT have to force yourself to eat when you feel full. But, if those numbers are right, you DO need to eat more calories.

Think about it: your BMR is basically what your body needs to simply keep itself going and survive. You don't really want to cut into this. That would be like having an income that doesn't cover your basic bills. You don't want that.

The best recourse for getting your caloric intake will be to do what others have said: Look into eating more calorically dense foods. That way, when you hit the "I'm full" point, you'll have eaten more calories, bringing you closer to your target.

Let's say you hit your "full" point before reaching the computed caloric levels for today. Don't force yourself to eat more before you go to bed. But try trading some of what you're currently eating for those foods that give more calories for the same volume when you eat tomorrow.