let's be real, here

Options

Replies

• Better4Summer
    Options
    No thats listening to your mind.. Many of us do not listen to our body hence bein over weight.
  • fitnessjoes
    Options
    truthfully...I fight to stay under 2000 calories and I eat mostly veggies and protein....I love to eat that is why I came here...luckily being in Afghanistan there are no fast food joints so it is a little bit easier.....I try to burn at least 700 calories per workout but sometimes I just am not feeling the Gym......
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    No thats listening to your mind.. Many of us do not listen to our body hence bein over weight.

I beg to differ. My stomach rumbling is very clearly my BODY saying "Feed Me!" Even though that was on a way too frequent basis. It may have started as a "listening to my mind" thing but as my mind told my body to eat when it didn't NEED to, it trained my body to "need" feeding more often. So past a certain point it became absolutely "listening to my body" that kept piling on the pounds.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

But listening to the people who have had long term success in losing weight and keeping it off is still advised. Most people here have found that 1200 or under is not what got them their new bodies.

It is not unreasonable to think that those people would have valuable advice worth trying.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    I'm a large woman so please do not think I do not understand when I say it sounds like emotional eatin not eatin because your hungry hence me sayin 'listening to your mind'. Also it can be dehydration (when you think you are hungry)..

I have been 6 stone and now I have a hell of alot to lose (i have binged on both ends of the spectrum) and now i'm here to do it in a healthy way.. My goal is 1350 but if I do not reach that then thats fine by me as long as I have had 3 meals and 1-2 snacks.. I will not eat just because i'm under my goal.

Everyone is diff and nobody can judge if someone else is full or not is all i'am saying here.

People should not be ridiculed in a public forum over this!!
  • Better4Summer
    Options

But listening to the people who have had long term success in losing weight and keeping it off is still advised. Most people here have found that 1200 or under is not what got them their new bodies.

It is not unreasonable to think that those people would have valuable advice worth trying.

I'm all for advice... But bringing it to a forum and makin silly remarks is not advice. People are doin it in a way that works for them..
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. My stomach rumbling is very clearly my BODY saying "Feed Me!" Even though that was on a way too frequent basis. It may have started as a "listening to my mind" thing but as my mind told my body to eat when it didn't NEED to, it trained my body to "need" feeding more often. So past a certain point it became absolutely "listening to my body" that kept piling on the pounds.

You're right. For many, it does become very much a physical thing. Like being addicted to drugs, and experiencing physiological symptoms. Sure it's the mind. But the body follows suit.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    luckily being in Afghanistan
    Four words you rarely see together! :)

I had a 'blah I can't eat 1200!' day yesterday. I know this is more about people who say it every day, but feeling that way yesterday made me give it some thought. Most foods that aren't calorie dense just don't have that same OH GOD I AM DELICIOUS EAT ME UNTIL YOU PUKE sexiness that like, pizza does. Or beer, or chocolate. And when I'm not hungry, I don't really want to tempt the fates by having a smidge of something that I KNOW makes me want to go all Cookie Monster--especially when I'm not even really craving it in the first place.

So yeah, it sounds silly, but when you're retraining yourself to look at food in a more healthful way, sometimes it's a necessary step. Hopefully it just doesn't last too long. I think today I'm ready to eat ALL THE CALORIES again. :)
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    People are doin it in a way that works for them..

But that's the part that fails. Very few members have had long term success on 1200 or less a day, while the 1200 crowd continually has more threads pop up with frustrations about not losing weight.

"In a way that works for them" works - up to a point. But at some point, if you want the kind of weight loss and body transformation older members have had, you have to be willing to do what they do.

Often it's nothing more than a matter of simply. eating. more. Not even specific types of food - lots of us lose weight eating cookies and pizza and chocolate every day.

The answer is usually simple. Just eat more - THEN find out what works for you.
  • Better4Summer
    Options

You're right. For many, it does become very much a physical thing. Like being addicted to drugs, and experiencing physiological symptoms. Sure it's the mind. But the body follows suit.

Again read what you wrote.. Its the mind!!! Your mind tells you that your hungry not your body (unless you are) nobody got large by actually being hungry..
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If you've eaten all your "healthy" foods for the day and still "can't" reach 1200 calories . . . . .

Have some f****ing ice cream.

Or wine.

Jesus.

Or this.

eVhrVJ0.jpg

What is that? I want it inside of me.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's not really that surprising if you try and walk in the other person's shoes...

Greater volume of nutrient rather than calorie dense food.
    Higher protein / possibly fat / possibly fibre / possibly fruit helps with satiety.
    Exercise can curb appetite (although it can do just the opposite.)
    Hunger cues can get distorted if calories are slashed sharply.
    Psychological issues such as feelings of virtue from under eating.

Of course, everyone who says they have difficulty could simply be lying. Personally. I'm not that cynical.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    People are doin it in a way that works for them..

But that's the part that fails. Very few members have had long term success on 1200 or less a day, while the 1200 crowd continually has more threads pop up with frustrations about not losing weight.

"In a way that works for them" works - up to a point. But at some point, if you want the kind of weight loss and body transformation older members have had, you have to be willing to do what they do.

Often it's nothing more than a matter of simply. eating. more. Not even specific types of food - lots of us lose weight eating cookies and pizza and chocolate every day.

The answer is usually simple. Just eat more - THEN find out what works for you.

So you would tell someone to eat if they were full?
    A large % of people started low and only put cals up when they did more exercise...

Lets not get off track.. Read my first post on this subject..My point was valid!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

So you would tell someone to eat if they were full?
    A large % of people started low and only put cals up when they did more exercise...

Lets not get off track.. Read my first post on this subject..My point was valid!!!

Absolutely I would tell someone to eat if they were full. Hungry or not, the body does not do well on starvation level diets. You can be as full as you'd like on 700 calories a day. That does not mean it's healthy or preferable.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

The problem here is that hunger isn't an accurate determinate of whether one should or shouldn't stop eating. Too many factors influence hunger.

Also in regards to your earlier post about being supportive.

There are many different kinds of support. I give the kind that is honest, direct, mildly sarcastic and if anyone finds that a little too much for them they can feel free to ignore me.

I won't lose any sleep over it.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    You force a body food and it will reject it and end up on zero cals so what point are you makin here?
  • FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ehh ?? You can feel full in 1200 cals, depends on what you are eating. Also, when you are start consuming less your body gets used to it and you start feeling full in less.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people you're talking about. Some people don't need as many calories as other people. The real reason I got to be overweight isn't because I was always hungry, it was because I WASN'T always hungry I just ate because I wanted to. I ate because I knew it would taste good. I ate because I was bored. I ate because I was mad/sad/bad/.. But not because I was hungry. Eating all that crap with no nutritional value doesn't trigger your body to feel full. Now that I'm eating more protein and healthy carbs, I'm not hungry that much anymore. I can differentiate between being hungry and just craving something. Like others stated, I'm not going to force myself to eat cheese and crap when I'm not hungry; that's how I got to this point in the first place. I thought the whole point of eating healthier/exercising is to be more in tune with our bodies?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    You force a body food and it will reject it and end up on zero cals so what point are you makin here?

My point is that starving yourself is bad. I am confused that this is a concept I have to argue with you about.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Good god woman.

No one is talking about forcing anything down anyone's throat here. I think all of us would be hard pressed to do that over a discussion board.

My point is this:

If they come onto a discussion board and complain about not being able to meet 1200 calories a day I will tell them to EAT MORE FOOD.

Even if that food is a slice of pizza or a piece of cake it would be better for them to eat that one piece of "unhealthy" food than it would be for them to under eat.