I've never had a pop tart.What did I miss?

Options
I'm an Italian living in Italy and I've heard so much about pop tarts on American tv shows .Sometimes I think about havin one but they are not avalailabe here.What am I missing?are they that good?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally like the cherry flavored ones with icing and then I drip melted butter on top after they are toasted...

But I can do without them for the rest of my life. I mean, they are good, and I do like them, but they are not "all that" like some people might think. I mean...why poptarts for breakfast when you can have BACON instead?
  • JessTheApple
    Options
    Bleh, I don't think they're that good, I mean, the Ice Cream Shoppe ones are okay. :) but meh, they're tasteless to me.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    the funfetti ones are ummmm AMAZING
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    They used to sell them in the UK but don't think they do anymore. You are missing nothing - they are DISGUSTING!

Retangular pre-baked pastry with a sweet filling that you put in the toaster. The filling used to be as hot as lava and burn my tongue!

You Italians really know how to eat well - I think you might be disappointed by a pop tart...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    sandwich some jelly of whatever flavor you desire between two pieces of cardboard, cover with the cheapest frosting you can find, heat and enjoy. Now you've had a pop tart.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    huh.............sorry hun i just had to laugh!!! I visited Italy, you have real gunuine Gelato.......................pop tarts? Pshhh.....you got the better end of that deal let me assure you!!!
  • mokotutza
    mokotutza Posts: 20
    Options
    I think I'll stick to my tiramisù cake ......only once in a while,of course....
  • mokotutza
    mokotutza Posts: 20
    Options
    huh.............sorry hun i just had to laugh!!! I visited Italy, you have real gunuine Gelato.......................pop tarts? Pshhh.....you got the better end of that deal let me assure you!!!

in fact last week I had a sugar free pear gelato and that's a winner!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hun, if you are in Italy - trust me. The Italians would never create something like this and call it food.

I've tried a chocolate pop tart before and i'll explain what that was like.

Imagine 2 pieces of stale biscuit that have a strong smell of chocolate powder, then in between these 2 stale biscuits is a super sweet chocolate paste what turns into liquid lava when toasted and burns your lip. It is then covered with a hard shell chocolate icing on one side that tastes nothing like icing it just tastes of fake sugar. So there we have it. Sugar inside sugar topped with sugar.

How this was ever marketed as a breakfast food for kids is ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks a pop tart is a treat needs to go to a proper patisserie and understand what a treat really is.
  • vonham
    vonham Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i love the strawberry one its yummy but need to let it cool or it would burn the mouth off u they are full of suger so not very good diet food
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    They used to sell them in the UK but don't think they do anymore. You are missing nothing - they are DISGUSTING!

Retangular pre-baked pastry with a sweet filling that you put in the toaster. The filling used to be as hot as lava and burn my tongue!

You Italians really know how to eat well - I think you might be disappointed by a pop tart...

I agree with all this. Maybe the American ones somehow are nicer? When I was little my mum used to buy them as a "treat" but I didn't like them then. They are making a comback in the cereal aisles at supermarkets though, enough people seem to like them.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Hun, if you are in Italy - trust me. The Italians would never create something like this and call it food.

I've tried a chocolate pop tart before and i'll explain what that was like.

Imagine 2 pieces of stale biscuit that have a strong smell of chocolate powder, then in between these 2 stale biscuits is a super sweet chocolate paste what turns into liquid lava when toasted and burns your lip. It is then covered with a hard shell chocolate icing on one side that tastes nothing like icing it just tastes of fake sugar. So there we have it. Sugar inside sugar topped with sugar.

How this was ever marketed as a breakfast food for kids is ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks a pop tart is a treat needs to go to a proper patisserie and understand what a treat really is.

Well put! Yuck! Same for berry flavored ones.
  • Beccalizz1
    Beccalizz1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you are only missing about 200 calories a piece! They come 2 in a pack so if you eat a pack it's 400 calories! You aren't missing much!
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I only buy them for when we go camping for the kids, a no fuss easy breakfast. Other than that, ewwww
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    I only buy them for when we go camping for the kids, a no fuss easy breakfast. Other than that, ewwww

Pack cheerios or similar in tupperware or buy granola bars. Lot less ewwww .
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think pop tarts are discusting and always have even as a kid. Dry crumbly and gross. My kids on the other hand with scarf them down on the rare occasion I will buy some. I would never give it to them for breakfast, they eat them as a snack if they're hungry when they come home from school, something quick while doing homework. My daughter loves the Cookie dough ones and the oreo ones. but ewwww
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. I'm in the UK and I'd never even heard of a pop-tart, let alone tried one.

Mind you....having been to look them up it'll be a cold day in hell before I do try one. They look like vile slices of cardboard loaded with garish food colourings.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Happy to oblige

1.1259256976.1_french-patisserie.jpg
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Jelly filled pastry. They have an "icecream sundae " flavor that is frosting on the inside. It's pretty good in the freezer. I haven't had one in 4 years and I haven't missed it yet.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Happy to oblige

1.1259256976.1_french-patisserie.jpg

oh hell........now i am just going to give up loosing weight....thanks. lol