soup diet??

Options

Replies

• Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    my manager did some soup diet where your snacks were bananas she had to eat so many a day and the soup you could eat as much as you want but you could only have so much meat and stuff it was crazy....the soup was good but she ended getting sick off it by the 3rd day.

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/sacred-heart-diet
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't see whats wrong with eating soup, I love soup and eat it all the time. I'm talking about stuff that is packed full of meat, veggies, and whole wheat noodles or rice. Not just chicken broth and rice (not that I would consider that soup). I think you are taking what she is asking way out of context... she is asking for recipes.

Sorry I don't have any, I just throw stuff in a pot and cook it.. usually turns out good. hehe.

Soup is very good. Soup diets that consist of nothing but soup are not.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you would want to do that?
    If not, why put yourself through that?
  • kara1990
    kara1990 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    put myself thru it??? i dont understand what you mean??/ i love soup! so this kind of sounds good to me lol , theres plenty of soups i already know and love , and many more to try which are new! not sure if i`ll last a full 10 days but i`m pretty sure i could do 5 at least and more then likley 7
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump for later...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are against this idea. Soups can be more than just liquid! They're a great way to get a lot of vegetables into your diet, and they're wonderfully filling.

Here are some of my favorites. I'm not much of a crockpot user but maybe they can be adapted:

Red Pepper & Tomato Soup:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/health/nutrition/vegetable-soups-smooth-and-hearty-recipes-for-health.html?_r=0

Moroccan-Spiced Carrot Soup:
    http://whatihaventcookedyet.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/i-love-this-time-of-year/

Corn & Bell Pepper Chowder:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Corn-and-Bell-Pepper-Chowder-237891

Pumpkin Tortilla Soup:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-pumpkin-tortilla-soup-68259

Provençal Greens Soup:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/health/nutrition/17recipehealth.html?_r=0

Curried Cauliflower Soup:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/health/nutrition/curried-cauliflower-soup-recipes-for-health.html?ref=nutrition

Slow Cooker Black Beans and Rice Soup:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/12/black-bean-and-rice-soup-with-lime-and.html

Minestrone:
    http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/article.asp?docid=21480

I don't have a recipe, but Pho is also great! Just make a fragrant broth including whole spices like star anise, cinnamon, and cloves. Ladle the broth over a bowl full of rice noodles and whatever cooked veggies and protein you want. Top with fresh mint, bean sprouts, jalapeno slices and lime juice.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    If you have a relationship with a local butcher (ie as a customer!) you may be able to get chicken carcasses and bacon bones from him that are left over from their processes very cheaply. Bacon bones are best soaked in cold water for 24 hours or so to remove excess salt. I boil the bones or the chicken carcasses up with an onion, carrot and celery, removing any scum that forms on the top, then strain, leave to cool, and remove any fat that collects on the top. You now have chicken or ham stock to make soup.Freeze what you don't use immediately. I usually work with a basis of onions, which I fry gently until they are translucent and potatoes and carrots cut up small, simmer with the stock and then add whatever you have available or is plentiful locally. Ham and pea is one of my favourites using a pack of frozen peas, but you can literally use anything, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, peppers, chillies, swede, mushrooms, the list goes on and on. Once the veggies are cooked you can leave it to cool, eat it as it is with chunks or ziz in a liquidiser. Add cream or creme fraiche if you wish to make creamy. There is nothing as tasty as homemade soup!
  • kara1990
    Options
    thank you sweet_potato and ron2e!! i shall give them a go :D i`m actually rather excited about it , i love trying new things , even better if i can make it myself!! :D
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are against this idea. Soups can be more than just liquid! They're a great way to get a lot of vegetables into your diet, and they're wonderfully filling.

I'm surprised several people missed the part in the OP where she explained the diet was just soup and nothing else for a week and a half.

That said, those do sound like delicious soup recipes. We just got our first crockpot, looking forward to trying those out.
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    I could maybe do it for a few days if my jaw is wired shut. Why can't you just eat the healthy foods that you are putting into the soup instead? Eating nothing but soup for that long sounds miserable, even if it is good, hearty soup.

If my jaw is wired shut! :laugh: That made me laugh!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options

I'm surprised several people missed the part in the OP where she explained the diet was just soup and nothing else for a week and a half.

That said, those do sound like delicious soup recipes. We just got our first crockpot, looking forward to trying those out.

What nutrition in non-soup items can she not get from soup?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

To be fair, she might be able to get most of her nutrients. But it still does nothing to help her develop positive eating habits and the likelyhood of weight piling back on with solid food - and the constipation that introducing solid foods back in - are unnecessary. Instead of devising all of these tricks to get yourself to eat healthy, why not just eat healthy?

You don't have to cut out the solid foods that adults need to survive on, as eventually, you're going to have eat solid foods anyways. I see no point in prolonging that point.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You would've received better responses if you just said:

I'm going to do this regardless of what great advice is handed out to me. So just tell me I'm going to succeed, not be hungry and be able to keep all the weight off that I lose on this diet. That's all I want from your responses.

Honestly. Just tell us how we can support you on a 7-10 day soup only diet.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    think what ya like , i`m gonna give it a go , i reckon i can keep it off , i dont struggle with keeping to an even weight , i struggle with loosing it , the only reason im the size i am is cos i had my 2nd child and pretty much ate what i wanted , when i had my first i went from 12st (pregnancy weight) back down to 9 and a half stone within 6 months , using "fad" diets , mixed with exercise and portion control , its takin me longer this time round as iv got 2 kids to run around so not much time for the exercise .... if i do end up putting the weight back on after i shall happily comment on the thread and let you all know so you can go "i told you so" until then polite people would keep their opionions to themself , "if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything"

Didn't read all the comments but yea..

Ok so i have tried this.. a substancial soup with a variety of veggies and beans. I did this long ago and the "program" lasted only 7 days. I lost a lot of weight (around 4 kgs so i guess 8sh pounds? ) though i reckon most of it was water or muscle or water. Once i finished the soup thing i started to eat making healthier choices and pushing to get more protein in and less processed carbs. I did not gain the weight back. So as a one time only thing it worked for me.

One really important thing though.. I did not exercise while on that soup thing..I think regardless of how much soup you have with this "diet" you don't meet the sufficient energy levels to exercise, i felt ok to do everyday things but i would have probably felt too weak to go to the gym or do a ballet class.. so yea, take that in mind.

Would i do it again? probably not. But it did help me get started so... yea best of luck!
  • kara1990
    Options

To be fair, she might be able to get most of her nutrients. But it still does nothing to help her develop positive eating habits and the likelyhood of weight piling back on with solid food - and the constipation that introducing solid foods back in - are unnecessary. Instead of devising all of these tricks to get yourself to eat healthy, why not just eat healthy?

You don't have to cut out the solid foods that adults need to survive on, as eventually, you're going to have eat solid foods anyways. I see no point in prolonging that point.

i`ve already stated i already eat healthy..... this is just to help me loose some weight in a way i`ll enjoy , if it fails it fails , im not overly fussed , but thought it was worth a go since i actually like soup and it seems like something i could stick to for the alloted time and hopefully see some results which i could keep up with!!! and wouldnt the "chunky" bits in the soup class as solids? lol not sure , hopefully they do!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options

i`ve already stated i already eat healthy..... this is just to help me loose some weight in a way i`ll enjoy , if it fails it fails , im not overly fussed , but thought it was worth a go since i actually like soup and it seems like something i could stick to for the alloted time and hopefully see some results which i could keep up with!!! and wouldnt the "chunky" bits in the soup class as solids? lol not sure , hopefully they do!

I don't see why chicken and rice in soup is any different than a slab of chicken with a side of rice. Even a pureed butternut squash soup-- how is that different from eating cubed butternut squash? You'll be getting more water this way, as well!

The only thing I might be concerned about is consuming too much sodium. Even with homemade soup you'd probably be putting more salt into it than you would a non-soup meal.
  • kara1990
    Options
    You would've received better responses if you just said:

I'm going to do this regardless of what great advice is handed out to me. So just tell me I'm going to succeed, not be hungry and be able to keep all the weight off that I lose on this diet. That's all I want from your responses.

Honestly. Just tell us how we can support you on a 7-10 day soup only diet.

wow...... i wanted recipies , advice from ppl who have done a diet like this , and as iv mentioned a **** load of times already , i have no problem staying the same weight , hence why i havn`t gained any weight in nearly a year and have been slowly loosing it!
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    think what ya like , i`m gonna give it a go , i reckon i can keep it off , i dont struggle with keeping to an even weight , i struggle with loosing it , the only reason im the size i am is cos i had my 2nd child and pretty much ate what i wanted , when i had my first i went from 12st (pregnancy weight) back down to 9 and a half stone within 6 months , using "fad" diets , mixed with exercise and portion control , its takin me longer this time round as iv got 2 kids to run around so not much time for the exercise .... if i do end up putting the weight back on after i shall happily comment on the thread and let you all know so you can go "i told you so" until then polite people would keep their opionions to themself , "if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything"

Thank you for posting this! Funny thing too b.c I just got back from a cruise where I gained (I'm guessing) 8-10 lbs. I want to do a "liquid" diet for the next 3 days (soups, protein shakes, green tea, yogurt, etc) to get rid of this water weight. I have a few awesome crockpot soup recipes I'll message you.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this! Funny thing too b.c I just got back from a cruise where I gained (I'm guessing) 8-10 lbs. I want to do a "liquid" diet for the next 3 days (soups, protein shakes, green tea, yogurt, etc) to get rid of this water weight. I have a few awesome crockpot soup recipes I'll message you.

PS do your best to ignore all the negative and critical comments and do what works for you. I say give it a go, it's not like you're dropping acid for 7-10 days. It's soup.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Didn't read all the comments but yea..

Ok so i have tried this.. a substancial soup with a variety of veggies and beans. I did this long ago and the "program" lasted only 7 days. I lost a lot of weight (around 4 kgs so i guess 8sh pounds? ) though i reckon most of it was water or muscle or water. Once i finished the soup thing i started to eat making healthier choices and pushing to get more protein in and less processed carbs. I did not gain the weight back. So as a one time only thing it worked for me.

One really important thing though.. I did not exercise while on that soup thing..I think regardless of how much soup you have with this "diet" you don't meet the sufficient energy levels to exercise, i felt ok to do everyday things but i would have probably felt too weak to go to the gym or do a ballet class.. so yea, take that in mind.

Would i do it again? probably not. But it did help me get started so... yea best of luck!

What I don't get with these diets - including the sacred heart one that was posted. Is why you can't consume enough calories. That's the part that gets me. Especially sacred heart for example where you can eat as much fruit, or veggies etc. that you want. If calories in still equals 1600 or whatever your goal per day is how is it going to be detrimental? I guess I mean how is it that you're only losing muscle where as if you were eating "normal" you'd be not losing muscle eating the same amount of calories.

I've never done this plan I'm just curious on the science behind it.