Heart rate during cardio

Options
What heart rate do you usually reach when doing cardio?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Usually about 170 when mountain biking, 160 when running.
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, for me to target weightloss, MY heart rate needs to be no more than 142 bpm
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My average for the last 30 days/280 mi is 124 at around 8:50/mi, 6.8 mph.

High intensity workouts are generally in the mid 150s.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I work to keep my HR 145-150, usually closer to 150.

The max for weight loss range is 153 for me.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Mine is close to 162 when I am running (at about a 6.5) then when I crank it up to 7.2 or more around 178.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    When on the elliptical I keep mines around 162 for my age 30
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, for me to target weightloss, MY heart rate needs to be no more than 142 bpm

That's wrong. You mean to put you in the "fat burning zone", that said you will burn cals at any HR level and zones should, for the most part be ignored. The more cals you burn the more you can eat, or lose, depending on goals.
  • meaganbush
    meaganbush Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually hit 184 on a long/hard run but my resting heart rate has always been high.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    While running I average 165 and maintain that for an hour, kind of high for an old lady, but I haven't tipped over yet. Biking around 135.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Avg 180bpm, max 204bpm. Resting 56bpm at 22 years old.

i have a heart condition though.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Running in the countryside between 168 n 172. BUT when I sprint up hill I have hit 201 ?!

Crosstrainer is between 140 and 165

Edit to add: resting heart rate is 64bpm
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    23yr old female...my normal heart rate range while doing cardio is 155-170, depending on intensity/incline/resistance
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Average when running is about 163. Resting 47. Max observed 193. I'm 37 years old.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always measure in pervcentage of target max. The number of your working heart rate, say given a consistent workload, will lower as yuou body adapts to the work; but a properly calculated percentage will give you a better functional picture of the range you want to stay in. Most heart rate monitors today do this for you and there are numerous charts available on line to help you calculate if needed.
  • alli4350
    alli4350 Posts: 38
    Options
    Running about 6-7mph I usually stay around 170-185bpm.
  • DlowG
    DlowG Posts: 9
    Options
    Running I usually land between 168-178
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    38 male here. 225lbs

Depends on the activity I am doing. I wear my HRM for every workout now. If I am strength training it bounces around anywhere from 130-165.

If I am doing HIIT training it can vary from 155-185.

Where I get the craziest cardio heart popping out of my chest and get over 190 is when I am throwing Elbows and Knees doing Combat/Kickboxing type workouts. I dont know why but for me those Elbow and Knee movements really get my heart pounding. Even harder than when I do burpees.
  • clperrett
    clperrett Posts: 33
    Options
    When I am running for 30 minutes I normally avearge around the 180 mark according to my HRM, sometimes hitting the mid 190's. I have checked with lots of Personal Trainers about this about this as I was concerned about how high it was going, but I am able to still chat (a little) when it is this high so apparently that is fine.
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options

That's wrong. You mean to put you in the "fat burning zone", that said you will burn cals at any HR level and zones should, for the most part be ignored. The more cals you burn the more you can eat, or lose, depending on goals.
    Yes I meant "fat burning zone" and want to stay there in that area which is 142 for me and if I exceed that, I'd be burning more carbs instead of fat. I'm not wanting endurance and I'm fat and out of shape so my heartrate results are going to be different than yours considering my height ,age, and weight
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here's a good guide for what percentage to target for different goals:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

Personally I stay around 130-150 when doing cardio.