Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options
I see some food diaries where people are consuming less than 1000 calories a day...multiple days in a row. And these aren't "small" people. I'm wondering if maybe they are fudging it? I mean...can someone really be healthy eating 900 calories a day??

I try to log everything that I eat. Even if it means admitting that I made a bad choice. I just don't understand how people can live on that little.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Probably, because you just can't eat that little for that many days in a row without binging on something. And I doubt they record the binge.

Those people are the ones whose weight never changes, too.

I tend to seek out friends who are active, who eat normal amounts of food (or even excessive amounts!) and still lose weight or maintain where they are. If I see a friend starving themselves, I will usually say something and if they ignore it I'll unfriend them.

For me, this site is all about positively reinforcing my decisions to eat well and exercise. I'm down almost 30 lbs so far so I know it's working. I don't need anyone who might interrupt that momentum chatting with me.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    No, although I get too lazy too log everything sometimes (I don't log when I feel lazy and I know for sure that I'm at least at my goal calories for the day).

I mean just because you tell some calculator on the internet that you didn't eat something it isn't going to magically disappear from your stomach...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sadly, some people reguarly consume less than 1,000 calories a day. And no, it's not healthy and it will damage you in the long run. Some people do honestly forget to finish logging. I've done that a few times myself.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    nope. I log stupid cardioish things sometimes to make overeating on weekends look better...but I actually did the activity I log.
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I try not to lie. Sometimes it is hard to figure out calories; especially on my "bad" days but I try to be as truthful as possible. This is a tool for me, to monitor what I am eating. I need it to be real.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I don't lie on mine. I am brutally honest even when it hurts.
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I log ALL my foods for the day before I leave my house each morning. I am a planner and I know exactly what I am going to eat from the time I get up until I eat my last meal of the day.

I teach the principles of the Body for Life program and planning your meals is key with this program.

Another reason it is good to log your foods all at once instead of waiting until you eat them, you can tweak your foods. Let's say my fat is over the top for the day. I can remove a food I logged and replace it with a lower fat food instead. Not only are you looking at your daily calories, you must look at what those calories are made up of.

It feels good when I get to work each morning and know I have all meals on me and I have logged all my foods into MFP database. Just another task I can mark off for the day.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I dont lie but have discovers this weekend gone by not logging that dash of milk in my tea or those 2-3 haribo etc that I am probably overeating by 200 calories a day which would explain the no weight loss thing :)

Started logging everything that passes my lips this week so we shall see.
  • unfeigned
    unfeigned Posts: 30
    Options
    Do I "lie" on my food diary? Yes.

How? Well, mostly I put more calories than there are actually in the food (because I am not sure always about calorie content in some food). But I log everything that I take in. (With occasional skip for small portion of lettuce or cucumbers or beetroot :bigsmile: )
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    NEVER. Every single item I eat, whether it is one bite...I add it in..why cheat yourself?
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't lie on mine. I am brutally honest even when it hurts.

^^^ THIS!!!

Although, sometimes some of the restaurants I go to don't have food in the MFP database, so I have to guess how many calories the food was. I just end up using a restaurant's nutritional info that would be about equivalent to the one where I ate.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I never lie, but on days when I know I'm going to be bad (i.e. last weekend when I was attending a wedding) and I know I'm going to go over my calorie goals I don't bother logging at all. Days when I'm focused on meeting or coming in under my calorie goals I log everything I eat. No point in lying to yourself.
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i don't lie on my food diary what would it accomplish. i'd only be cheating myself if i did.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The same could be said for those of us who aren't athletes or body builders and have spent years eating 3,000-5,000 calories a day. Who knows if their logs are correct or not? Mine shows a few days I was under 1k. I had the flu. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe they log that way for a reason. Maybe not. Meh.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Lying to myself, seems rather odd, but I'm told its a common occurrence.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    NEVER. Every single item I eat, whether it is one bite...I add it in..why cheat yourself?

This. Im still not losing and my net is often below 1000, im still not losing, but im also doing Insanity and losing inches.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at completing my diary but it's not open and I'm maintaining so whatever. A lot of people do try to live on less than 1,000 calories and they may be truthful with their logging but usually either the honeymoon wears off and they give up or they eventually figure out it isn't realistic and get a healthy plan going.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I never put when I drink tea in my log, because I use about 10ml of milk and I can't ever be bothered to log it haha.
    Other than that, no I don't lie. The only other time I probably don't put everything down is of I've been out all day and I've forgotten about that piece of chocolate my friend gave me or that sip of juice I stole from my boyfriends drink!
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So far, I have been brutally honest. It's the making myself accountable that is working for me.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I log ALL my foods for the day before I leave my house each morning. I am a planner and I know exactly what I am going to eat from the time I get up until I eat my last meal of the day.

I teach the principles of the Body for Life program and planning your meals is key with this program.

Another reason it is good to log your foods all at once instead of waiting until you eat them, you can tweak your foods. Let's say my fat is over the top for the day. I can remove a food I logged and replace it with a lower fat food instead. Not only are you looking at your daily calories, you must look at what those calories are made up of.

It feels good when I get to work each morning and know I have all meals on me and I have logged all my foods into MFP database. Just another task I can mark off for the day.

I don't always log early, but as I'm driving to work I start thinking about what I'm going to eat that day. I almost always pack lunch so I know what that's going to be and usually log it when I arrive at work. Dinner is usually just a protein and vegetables before i work out, so that's easy enough too.

This is a good idea though, and I might start doing it myself.