Fitting exercise into my busy life

Options
Fellow MFPers I need your help. I am about to embark on an extremely busy time at work. This means long hours, plenty of meetings and for fun mucho stress.

I know the effects of exercise and how it will help me stay sane through all this but I am looking for suggestions on how to fit exercise into my day so I can stay both mentally and physically fit.

Replies

• tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I get super busy I opt to work out once I get home in the evening almost as a wind down from a long day... I walk in the door and immediately put on work out clothes which keep me from sinking into the couch and never getting up...

After a 30 min walk/run/work out a shower feels amazing and I fall asleep super quick at night...

I know evening work outs don't work for everyone but they give me something to aim for at the end of the day...
  • dorkette13
    Options
    I have an extremely busy schedule as well, so I try to work out in the morning before my day begins (around 6 AM). If you're not a morning person, I agree with the above--make sure to work out right after getting home from work in order not to allow a chance for the couch to trick you into sleeping on it. Have fun!
  • gzelle21
    gzelle21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well i work in an office and trust me i know its hard to incorporate workouts in a busy schedule. What i do is make sure i drink PLENTY of water so i am forced to go to the bathroom lol when im in the bathroom (and dont laugh) lol i make myself do 20-30 squats each time i go. Its def adds up, so i go to the bathroom like at least 5 times through out my work day so 5x20 100 squats and also on my lunch break depending on the weather i go out for a quick walk or do the stairs at my job. . One other thing i am "trying" id getting up a half hour ealry and do 10 minutes of jumprope sometimes i get lazy so ill do jumping jacks or something that will get my heart racing. Its hard to be active especially when it is not part of your daily routine but if you want to be healthy & fit you"ll make it apart of your daily/busy routine. Its no walk in the park trust me im struggling myself but good luck :)
  • toothwalker_
    toothwalker_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The Angry Birds workout from NerdFitness might help: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/ I can be broken up throughout the day. I personally haven't used it (lack of busy times, but I know it will come in handy in a couple of months), but many in the NF community swear by it.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Something is always better than nothing. You can pack a lot into 15 minutes if you need to--burpees, push-ups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, dumbbells, etc, right there in your bedroom. Just make them part of your morning routine, before you jump into the shower. For me, it's every bit as important as showering and brushing my teeth! Then when you can do more...do more.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am at a busy time right now too. I am so HAPPY to have my fitbit right now. IT helps motivate me to get yup and move around, so, for example, I take a quick break and climb stairs a couple times a day. No, it is not ideal. But it is helping me get more active during what would be a very sedentary time.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Make it a priority, and just do it
    tumblr_me5h1eVG8f1rljgioo1_500.png
  • thejackfact
    thejackfact Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My daughter is NOT a morning person, yet we get up and go to the gym at 5:10 each morning during the week. Put yourself first for a change. You deserve it if you are working that hard!

Oh, then it is done and over before you ever really start you day! That is just an added bonus~!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    gonna have to embrace the early morning world of peace and quiet and personal sanity. quiet gyms, morning yoga in the livingroom, hard core workouts on weekends.

This is your life and being fit is an important and necessary part of keeping yourself physically and mentally strong enough to deal with it. This is YOU - YOU GOT THIS. DUH. Takes a lot more than crazy work schedule to throw you off. You know what's up.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There are times where you just can't help it and have to miss a workout. I had planned on an upper body workout last night, but had to help someone out with something and that took up all the time. It was the right priority, so I have no regrets and I'll make it up somehow anyway. I still did a quick set of push ups when I did get home, though, just to remind my muscles that they they're still needed and being worked. So, one minute instead of thirty, is better than nothing.

Do something, anything, to flex and put some stress on your muscles in the meanwhile. If you don't workout at all for a while, you'll have to work back up when you do start back. Taking a few days off a week or even a week from intensive workouts may even help if your body needs some recovery time. The main thing to be careful of is pushing yourself too hard by sneaking in workouts you really don't have time for and not getting enough sleep or nutrition as the price for doing so.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a sleep disorder, so I have absolutely no ability to get up and work out before work (hell I'm doing good to actually be making it in to work on time ATM), plus I have a rigorous evening sleep hygiene schedule which precludes late work outs, and a typically busy stressful job.

So, during the day, when I am on the phone or at my computer I do squats and hip hinges and split squats (get a non rolling chair for this). If I have a few minutes of down time I do shoulders elevated glute bridges or pushups. For w while I was bringing my hand weights to work but I have out grown them, but it doesn't take much time to lift the weights a few times.

Plus, I got a gym membership to the closest gym to my work, and if I get off work early enough I go directly to the gym before doing anything else.

Hope things settle down for you soon.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Everybody is busy. If you want to seriously committ to working out, you will find the time.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Everybody is busy. If you want to seriously committ to working out, you will find the time.

^ This.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Z2ouhhg.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Sleep faster
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you make time to wash your clothes and shower? You can make time for some exercise.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You just have to want to do it and fit it in somewhere. Get up earlier and knock it out before going to work!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Do you make time to wash your clothes and shower? You can make time for some exercise.

This. But, one of the things I did, bc i'm a lazy slob at heart, is started exercising during what normally was veg on the couch and watch tv time. I still watched tv. But I was up off my *kitten*.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Use paper plates and skip washing the dishes.
  • GroverBlue78
    GroverBlue78 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    To most of you, thanks for the help. It is really appreciated.