Women, what results have you gotten from strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics to post at the moment, sorry.

But I can tell you that I strength train/weight ilft pretty heavy 4-5 days a week, and do minimal cardio (HIIT once a week, with a little extra now and then after my weight training, like 20 minutes or so).

In the past 5 months I have only lost 12 pounds total. HOWEVER: I have lost 11 inches and counting, and have gone down 4 pants sizes!

As for diet, I eat as clean as I can, I eat a LOT of protein (+/- 130g a day), and I consume 1500 - 1700 calories a day. My snacks are usually protein shakes. I have my macros set at 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.

I just started lifting and was wondering what you do. Right now im following a program i found online but it calls for a lot of supplements.....

I do not take any supplements. I simply work out/weight train (heavy, not little 10lb weights) 4 days a week, including light abs. I do a really good cardio session once a week, with a heavy ab workout the same day. I meet with my trainer once a week as well, but don't do weight training with him...he does cross-fit/tabata training with me or boxing, to give me something different for my body since I already do my weight training on my own.

My training partner and I have been doing a workout routine developed by Dr. Sardone (www.drsardone.com). The exercise manual on his website is what we've been using, the routines are in there along with instruction on each exercise and form, etc. There are 5 phases to the weight training, which gets progressively harder. We have been doing each phase for 4 - 6 weeks each. We are currently on Phase 5, and haven't decided yet if we are going to go back to phase 1 with heavier weight and repeat the whole thing, or move on to NROLFW or 5X5 Stronglifts, etc.

Hope this information helps!
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    Sorry if I'm repeating, but I don't feel like reading every comment lol. You can look at the pic in my profile. Weight loss is 80% NUTRITION and 20% exercise. You can work out all you want but if you keep eating *kitten*, you won't lose the weight. I try to work out three days a week. I do 30-60 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of strength training. Sometimes I will do 15 minutes of ellipitical, stop and do some strength training with machines and then hop back on the elliptical for another 15 minutes. I maximize my weight loss that way BUT I have to eat right and keep my net between 500-1000. A good example of mixing up cardio with strength training is Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.