Paleo Diet??????

Options
2»

Replies

• matthewcorb
    Options
    Got to love the paleolithic diet. It's certainly a great diet to start with especially if you're into low-carb and high-protein diet. It also works best if you pair it with some exercise here and there.

If you're looking for something to try out of the diet, let me know if I can help you with anything.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I dislike the attitude it's followers have MUCH more than I dislike the diet itself. It's not bad at all to eat whole fruits, vegetables and lean meats.

I think there are some nutrients (particularly calcium) that most people aren't used to planning how to get when they don't come from common food groups such as dairy.

That is a good point! But there is plenty of calcium in other foods that are non diary. Owning a bearded dragon, I have become well versed in the greens that are chalk full of calcium (beardies need lots of it). Broccoli being one (although I can't feed that to her because it's so high in fiber) collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens. As long as you are getting some sunlight and the proper greens you'll be fine.

Also get a blood panel done by your dr to see if you are calcium difficient to begin with. I know I am so on top of the greens and sunlight I take a supplement.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My son is a crossfit trainer and Paleo diet person. He swears by it. I read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live which is vegan; greens and beans which I follow. He thinks his diet is the healthiest. I believe that the China Study has proved that a vegan diet is the healthiest. My arthritis seems to have completely disappeared. No more constipation, ever! And I am losing weight.
    I do not think that everyone wants to give up meat, wheat, dairy and processed junk, but I feel so much better that I did and never thought that I could or would. If you can not completely cut out everything but fresh and frozen vegetables, at least cut way back on them.
    The old WW diet had everyone do a colon flush with a day or two of cabbage soup. It was a good idea. You go off the diet, make a rule of self discipline that you need another flush. Talk about incentive!
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The China Study (the book) is garbage science.
  • mbgambill
    mbgambill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been Paleo for 18 days. The first two weeks were hard but I made the 30 day commitment and I was determined to stick it out. Week one I was so hungry!! Week two I was tired and depressed feeling. I had no energy! Week three has been great. The hunger has subsided and the energy is returning. I am definitely going to stick out the full 30 days and probably stay on it. I have never eaten so much healthy stuff in my like. That can't be a bad thing!! I am not going to weigh until the end but my clothes are feeling looser.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My interest in a paleo/primal diet has definitely been peeked! :noway: I think I will do some research over the weekend and give myself a 30 day challenge!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Is it considered Paleo if I hunt and gather discarded burgers and fries from McDonald's dumpsters?
  • julieharrell1
    julieharrell1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love the paleo diet. My doctor suggested it to me because I have celiac disease and could not lose weight no matter what I did. It is the only thing that has worked for me in the last 5 years. You have to prepare lunches for yourself and freeze them ahead of time. Don't count on finding anything paleo at a restaurant or vending machine. You do not have to allergic to foods to be harmed by them. No one in the world can digest gluten. Grains are all nutritionally worthless to humans. It is only because they are artifically enriched with vitamins that makes them a food group. Milk and soy are full of hormones that can cause diabetes.
    You will notice many health benefits besides weight loss. I've lost 9 pounds in 5 weeks.