No weight loss in 8 months, kind of freaking out

Options
2»

Replies

• reenasamaan
    reenasamaan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ditto the heavy lifting and quit looking at the scale.

The time in my life when I wore the smallest size clothing and had a smokin' hot body was when I weighed the most--160 pounds. If you asked anyone what they thought I weighed, they would tell you ~125. It's because it was all muscle, and muscle makes you look good (and tiny).

+100000000000

It's really hard to not let the scale dictate your happiness with your size, but it's only one piece of the puzzle. If it's being a smaller size or having firmer legs/abs/butt/whatever, do strength training and eat protein. If your end goal is really only about the number on the scale, then I don't really have any advice to get there because I have that problem, in that I don't know if I can get to my ultimate goal weight (but I'm ok with that if I can get to the BF% that I want to get to).

I got married almost a year ago and I was in the same place you are, as far as being focused on fitting into my dress (I did), afraid of gaining weight after the wedding (I did...but only maybe 5 pounds and it's gone now) and I decided to focus on getting stronger AFTER the wedding. When I started lifting weights I was skeptical, but now it's like "why did I wait so long to start doing this?!" I don't weigh any less than I did when I got married (actually, I weigh exactly the same as I did a year ago), but my clothes fit much looser now than they did then so I must be doing something right.

That is definitely one of my regrets is not strength training sooner! I only started about a year ago, seriously committing in September. Previously I had thought "what's the point, you're not gonna see muscle underneath fat." Oh how little I knew then!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your strength training regimen like?

you said you do five days a week of cardio, that seems like over kill to me.

Think you would have better results with three day total body strength training, and two days of cardio. Build a program around bench press, over head press, squat, deadliest, pull ups/chin ups, etc...and then build that into a program that has you hitting legs, shoulders, back, arms, etc three times a week...

IMO the cardio is stalling your gains...
  • reenasamaan
    Options
    what is your strength training regimen like?

you said you do five days a week of cardio, that seems like over kill to me.

Think you would have better results with three day total body strength training, and two days of cardio. Build a program around bench press, over head press, squat, deadliest, pull ups/chin ups, etc...and then build that into a program that has you hitting legs, shoulders, back, arms, etc three times a week...

IMO the cardio is stalling your gains...

Thanks for your input!

Until just six days ago I was doing strength about 3 times a week - one day I'd focus on legs, squat presses / hip abduction / hip adduction machines / maybe some calves. Another day devoted to abs and back (I kind of LOVE sit-ups, they hurt the most) - sit ups on a ball / torso twist / vertical leg raises and back extension. And then another day devoted to arms - so pushups, lateral pull-downs, tricep presses, etc.

However, now with the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I've been focusing on that, and doing that every day with perhaps one or two rest days. That DVD includes just a little cardio but really I feel like the benefit is in strength and abs.

As much as I would love to cut down on cardio (I get up at 5:30 a.m. to do it!) I'm scared to cut down, I guess because I want to keep eating as much as I do! I know strength training builds muscle which will burn more calories in the long run, even at rest, but I guess I always figured I could cut down on cardio when I get to maintenance. Sounds like it's just not as necessary as it seems?

Thanks!
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and on a good day I am 110 pounds and on a bad day 107 pounds. I look anorexic thin. Totally unhealthy.
    It has taken me a good six years to put on 10 pounds. Honestly, you look amazing and totally stunning. I would love to be 123 pounds. I am dying to be your weight. You look absolutely fanastic. Enjoy what you have achieved and good luck for your wedding. You will make one hell of a bride in your dress I bet.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the post admittedly, but I got the idea I think. YOu might consider spending some more time in the weight room. That may make you achieve the body composition you have in your mind, whatever that may be. Many women are focused on the weight loss side, when in fact, if the scale went the other way, in gains of muscle they'd "look" the way they see themselves at a lighter weight. My Wife is 5 foot 5, and has been at 115 somewhat recently. She's now 121-123, but she is resistance training, and looking the best I've ever seen.

Its very important if you start resistance training 3 or 4 times a week, that you do not become scale focused. If you need some sort of measuring device beyond the mirror, you might pick up some BF calipers at GNC for 10 bucks. Just the cheapo plastic ones.
  • Mlndhl75
    Mlndhl75 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing The Virgin Diet by JJ Virgin. Don't want to sound like an advertisement but I have been on it since the beginning of February and have dropped almost 20lbs. In it your remove high intolerance foods and up your veggies. Check it out!
  • reenasamaan
    Options
    I didn't read all of the post admittedly, but I got the idea I think. YOu might consider spending some more time in the weight room. That may make you achieve the body composition you have in your mind, whatever that may be. Many women are focused on the weight loss side, when in fact, if the scale went the other way, in gains of muscle they'd "look" the way they see themselves at a lighter weight. My Wife is 5 foot 5, and has been at 115 somewhat recently. She's now 121-123, but she is resistance training, and looking the best I've ever seen.

Its very important if you start resistance training 3 or 4 times a week, that you do not become scale focused. If you need some sort of measuring device beyond the mirror, you might pick up some BF calipers at GNC for 10 bucks. Just the cheapo plastic ones.

Totally. I'm happy when I look in the mirror and I'm happy with what I've achieved, ultimately. Scale or no scale, nobody knows that number, but it's been the only way I've known how to really measure. It wasn't until recently I used a tape measure to see the difference - it hit me when I bought a pair of 27" pants the other day I nearly fell over (I used to be a 34!).