oh god. after how many days does this get easier?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what is making you grouchy. Is it everyday? Do you feel deprived? Are you eating plenty of food? Do you allow yourself treats once in a while? Do you have other stress that's making you grouchy? Do you hate your workout? Are you working out too hard?

There is a solution to everything and it gets easier with time.

I had to deal with all of the above, plus trying not to punch people who ate things I wanted, in front of me. Now I know to make room for treats once in a while so I don't crave stuff.. or punch people.

I'm doing this for life, so I'm going to be comfortable doing it. Yeah, sometimes my workouts suck, I hurt and I want things that are bad for me, but it's worth the effort. I was fat when it wasn't.
  • RAURARIKES
    Options
    thanks a lot you guys! appreciate the advice
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I only feel tired and grouchy when I'm not eating and/or sleeping enough. I also don't find eating right and exercising difficult. Maybe I'm a total freak, but I truly enjoy what I eat and love my work outs.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well let me say this...after a while you accept that you have to eat better and eat less to get where you would like to be. But it doesn't ever get easier. Some days I just want to eat without thinking how many calories are in what you eat and without limiting amounts and then I think, that's how I got here in the first place and I never want to go back.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    When you realize 1200 calories isn't a realistic goal.

Maybe for you. I'm 5'2" with a small frame and 1200 is plenty.

But for a 6'1" 240 lb. man with a larger build, yeah, it's not.

Did you know that not everyone on the planet is the same height, weight, build and gender as you? ::gasp!:: :tongue:

P.S.: OP: It doesn't get much easier. But it's not about easy. It's about being healthy and looking/feeling great.

If you're sedentary, I guess this is plausaible. But even with a little exercise, your TDEE would be around 2100, giving you a reasonable weight loss target of about 1600-1700 cals/day. And as an MFP user, I would guess you do more than just "a little" exercise.

Taso, you silly thing. I am DEFINITELY talking about NET calories. You don't think I know this after all this time? :drinker:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    please tell me there's a point wherre it gets easy...i feel so grouchy

it gets easy when you quit. this is a lifestyle that involves breaking old habits and forging new ones!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are set at 1 pound a week instead of two. It makes all the difference, and it is so much easier to work into a healthy lifestyle.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, you're trying to subsist on 1200 calories...

*checks diary* Oh hey! What do ya know....
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Dude. This. When I upped my calories from 1200 to 1600, I was magically not grouchy any more.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Deinitely not, for a 33 YO male.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hhhmmm, I don't find this that hard at all. I eat, I enjoy my food that I've worked hard for and I eat it in the proper proportions, I love how I feel when I exercise and more importantly I love how I am looking! It's only as hard as you make it. I also think if it's something you really really want, it makes it easier to fight for. I don't look at my life style change as something I dread every day or hate, it's something I embrace every day and I take it 1 day at a time!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Did you know that not everyone on the planet is the same height, weight, build and gender as you? ::gasp!:: :tongue:

P.S.: OP: It doesn't get much easier. But it's not about easy. It's about being healthy and looking/feeling great.

If you're sedentary, I guess this is plausaible. But even with a little exercise, your TDEE would be around 2100, giving you a reasonable weight loss target of about 1600-1700 cals/day. And as an MFP user, I would guess you do more than just "a little" exercise.

My pants tell me that 1700 is too much. FOR ME!
    What is it you young men don't get about there being other types of humans?
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It gets easier when you relax a little and settle in to the new routine.

You HAVE to stop white-knuckling it!

If you're starving, eat a little more, it will NOT be sustainable in the long run if you are shaking from hunger.

You will not see the YAY! losses every week, you just won't. This is what separates those who succeed from those who give up.

Didn't see the loss you were expecting? Know you did everything right? Put your head down and plow through. Next thing you know you will be down a bunch and doing the happy dance.

Then you know what? You have to dig in and plow through, again!!

It is an emotional roller coaster because it is not linear, but it IS scientific!

When you feel like this, just go to the Success Stories for motivation.

You will do fine!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It's never going to be easy, you just do a lifestyle change and it becomes your normal! stick with it...you'll do great!!
  • RAURARIKES
    Options
    Make sure you are set at 1 pound a week instead of two. It makes all the difference, and it is so much easier to work into a healthy lifestyle.

thank you!!! i switched it!!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

I call BS on this one. I'm 5 foot even, with a ***BMR*** of 1280. And judging by your picture, you don't look all that small-framed. So 1200 is NOT plenty for you, no matter how loudly and obnoxiously you argue about it.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It eventually does get easy and just becomes a way of life! The trick is to make small changes you can live with, one at a time. You didn't develop unhealthy habits overnight, so don't turn into Ms Healthy overnight. It'll be a shock to your system!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    It does get easier but like many said.. find something you enjoy..for me it was Zumba and I have now expanded to train for a Zombie 5K. Eat so that your not hungry and give yourself daily treats. I have cookies, ice cream whenever I crave them..do not deprive yourself.. Before long this will be like second nature.
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks for me were incredibly hard...because of my cravings! I was addicted to Mountain Dew, coffee laden with sugar and creamer, and all sorts of bad stuff. I couldnt' stand the taste of water.

Once I past the 2 week mark, it got much easier! I have energy, love to exercise and enjoy what I eat! I am never starving, and drink a lot of pure water!

Like I said, for me it was 2 weeks. Now it is easy for me. And I love it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest, it only gets harder the closer you are to your goal. The beginning is the easiest by far!