Help! How should I prepare my salmon?!

Options
Making salmon for dinner.... Just looking for suggestions on how to prepare! Thanks!

Replies

• Squints834
    Squints834 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh lemon juice and pepper. Keep it simple.
  • elenox1001
    elenox1001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to combine some 1/8C low sodium soy sauce 2T PURE maple syrup (not the fake stuff), and 2 cloves crushed garlic. This can usually cover (2) 4oz portions of salmon. Wisk these items together, marinate your salmon for around 10-15 minutes, pour it all into a glass baking dish - you might want to brush some of the marinade in the pan over the fish to really coat it - and bake at 350 until it's cooked (around 20-25 minutes). You can add a little water to the dish to help keep the marinade from burning in the pan. Delish.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    grilled with mango salsa
    pan fried with garlic and olive oil
    oven baked over quinoa
    painted with terriyaki sauce and baked
    BBQ it
    covered in sauted mushrooms and onions
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I broil mine in the oven if I can't grill it outside. I usually put a tiny bit of salt and some fresh ground pepper on it. If I'm in the mood for something sweeter, I'll baste it with some fresh OJ and maple syrup with a bit of minced garlic in it.
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just broiled mine with old bay seasoning tonight for dinner and it was great.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Making salmon for dinner.... Just looking for suggestions on how to prepare! Thanks!

Salmon fillet with lemon slice and herbed rosemary thyme butter wrapped in alfoil => Bake/broil in the oven@400 degrees@40 mins. [How my sister generally prefers to have her salmon]
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Pacific NW. Land of salmon. I like to put the salmon on a large piece of foil on a baking sheet (like a cookie sheet) - add a couple large slices of onion and a little lemon and pepper and fold up the edges of the foil to make a little pillow. Cook in preheated oven at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Take a look at it, and cook more if it needs it. (Depends on the thickness of the cut.)
  • emilye72
    emilye72 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes. Just pepper and lemon juice. I find if I use pre-made rubs, the salmon ends up over seasoned and I don't like it. So now I just use 1/4 lemon to season after it's cooked.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    brown sugar and low sodium soy sauce....to die for
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Don't overload it with seasonings. A little bit of lemon juice and cajun spices are great. I have a rice cooker / food steamer, so I usually put it in the nesting basket with some fresh cut raw veggies, like broccoli, zucchini and carrots. Add rice to the pot too. Super easy and only one pot to clean afterwards.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Coat with olive oil and cajun seasoning and bake...yummy!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    This recipe is great and super easy...moist & flaky fish. Just adjust cooking time for the thickness of your fish.. I like salmon w/ dill weed or capers.

Healthy Fish Recipe

Seared-and-Steamed Fish

Work time: 10 minutes / Total time: 20 minutes /
    Servings: 4

You can use this technique for any medium firm- to firm-textured fish, either steaks or fillets. We experimented with tilapia, hake, perch, sea bass, cod, halibut, salmon, swordfish, and sturgeon with excellent results.

2 tsp canola oil
    4 cod or other fish steaks or fillets, about 1" thick (about 6 oz each)

1. HEAT oil in large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes. Season fish with salt and pepper. Put in pan and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

2. TURN fish and cover pan with tight-fitting lid. Remove pan from heat and let fish steam until just done, about 10 minutes.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/healthy-fish-recipes-prevention?page=2#ixzz2MoK32xLS
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually marinate my fish in my favorite vinaigrette dressings for about 20-30 minutes and they come out delicious :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    First, you need to tell him that it's nothing personal. If you can, explain the food chain and his place in it. All the better if he has had his run and spawned. The important thing with salmon is DON'T talk down to them. They'll know you're lying if you start with that old trope about fish heaven. So level with him and just explain that you're hungry.

Give him a chance to pray to Chumbalah Red Salmon King, and let him make his peace.

Then, shout "what's that over there!?" and when he turns to look, brain him with a pipe, freeze him, and continue with the usual processes.

Others prepare their salmon in different ways but I think it's important to take a humanitarian - - or dare I say pescetarian? - - approach.

Best of luck.
  • ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Coat with olive oil and cajun seasoning and bake...yummy!

Ditto!! Cajun all the way!, If you have a mango salsa that is yummy to add -- or I love it Cajun style with some avocado. YUM!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I comoletely agree with keeping it simple! For me salmon is a treat so I really want to enjoy the salmon flavors so all I add is fresh squeezed lemon juice, bake it for 10-25mins (i cant quite remember exactly how long but when you take a piece of it with a fork and its flaky) and eat it with some avocado. Delicious! !
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cedar plank.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Pan fried with salt & cumin. I serve it with a sauce of sour cream, salt, pepper, cumin, and lime juice.
  • thegreatestlove
    thegreatestlove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    grilled with mango salsa
    pan fried with garlic and olive oil
    oven baked over quinoa
    painted with terriyaki sauce and baked
    BBQ it
    covered in sauted mushrooms and onions

:happy: Thanks!