Do you do cardio or strength training first?

Options
I've never really worked out before, and am planning on starting to do so regularly not only for my weight loss journey but also for the rest of my life. I know that both cardio and weight training are important and should be done, but my question is, if you are doing them both on the same day, which should come first? I've been doing some reading on it and it seems like there are advantages to both methods. What do you do/recommend?

Replies

• janetlynn31
    janetlynn31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I've been working out with a trainer - he has me do cardio warmup for 5-10 minutes (depending on how early I get there), then strength training -- the strength training he usually has me do is circuit training where I'm using weights or resistance with cardio - and alternating or repeating sets. All I know is my heart rate is up most of the time. He has me cool down on cardio equipment. He did teach me to be good and warmed up before doing strength training.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Personally I care more about giving max effort on the strength training, so I do if first.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Strength first so I get more out of it
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I mix it up to keep it interesting.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Generally, I'll 10-15 minutes moderate cardio when I first get there to warm up and then do strength training for 30-45 minutes. Then, depending on my time, I'll go for a more intense 30-minute cardio or HIIT workout. I don't find I get very effective results on my strength training if I use up too much energy first.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    5 mins warm up cardio then heavy lifting want to make sure I can lift as much as I can then cardio. Doesnt really matter if my muscles are a little tired during cardio.

Tho I am skipping cardio all together now these days mostly
  • gescobedo81
    gescobedo81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually do 20 minutes before and 20 after weight training.. It works for me so I'm sticking with it..
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am a strength athlete, so I do my strength training first (in fact, I rarely ever mix them on the same day), because I would not want to compromise my strength training workout. If I were a marathon runner, I'm sure my priorities would be different.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Cardio after. It's not generally as to the wall as on a solo cardio day but idw to sacrifice my strength sessions. They're really my priority. I run and cardio so I don't kill anyone and can eat more.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Generally, after warm up, lift then cardio.

You do not want to be tired from the cardio when lifting weights.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I do them together 4 or 5 days a week depending if I am either cutting or bulking.
    Cardio (walking with inclines) LOL I don't run... runners run and I am not a runner plus I can't take more joint beating. :glasses:
    then
    Strength training<-- I get enough joint beating with this. :tongue:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Sometimes weights first, sometimes cardio first. Sometimes only weights and sometimes only cardio. Probably didn't help you at all. This might... Just get it done and leave it on the floor in the gym or at home wherever you workout. Work hard, be consistent and give 100%. Everything will fall into place if you do. Good luck!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I alternate days, because I prefer longer work outs for each. I run a minimum of four miles, usually between 4-7, so that usually takes roughly an hour. When I lift it takes me 30-45 minutes, and then another 10-15 to stretch. It's just easier for me to devote a day to each then trying to fit both in.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Warm up / cardio of less than 15 minutes, followed by weights, finishing with any cardio you want to do or a cool down. I was advised by a trainer not to go much more than an hour when doing intense exercise; he said that it compromises strength gains as the body will actively break down muscle tissue at that point. Also important: after weights, recoup with a protein shake or high protein snack within 20 minutes following your workout. I mix a scoop of protein powder in a cup of water and add a clementine. Less than 150 calories but helps my body to cope. You could also substitute some real food in place of a protein shake, like a half cup of cottage cheese or a greek yogurt.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio first,I prioritise it . if my muscles are too tired to do lots I do strength training at intervals in between, but I'm quite happy to be in the gym for up to two hours at a time, and then have a spa after:smile:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If you are mixing strength and cardio, to get the most out of your workout, do strength first. Your body uses stored glycogen as fuel first, which is optimal for strength training. Once the glycogen has been depleted, your body uses your fat as fuel, so by then your body is ready to burn fat efficiently with your cardio.

This is what I've read up on and have been advised by various sources and is my understanding of the body's function. If anyone else has anything to correct or add, please do. :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    If you are mixing strength and cardio, to get the most out of your workout, do strength first. Your body uses stored glycogen as fuel first, which is the optimal for strength training. Once the glycogen has been depleted, your body uses your fat as fuel, so by then you're body is ready to burn fat efficiently with your cardio.

This is what I've read up on and have been advised by various sources and is my understanding of the body's function. If anyone else has anything to correct or add, please do. :)

Go lift heavy on a leg day then after you're done you will not be able to walk very well with worn out fatigued noodle feeling legs then expect to do a cardio workout session... Cardio first for me. :wink:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If you are mixing strength and cardio, to get the most out of your workout, do strength first. Your body uses stored glycogen as fuel first, which is the optimal for strength training. Once the glycogen has been depleted, your body uses your fat as fuel, so by then you're body is ready to burn fat efficiently with your cardio.

Go lift heavy on a leg day then after you're done you will not be able to walk very well with worn out fatigued noodle feeling legs then expect to do a cardio workout session... Cardio first for me. :wink:

I usually only did cardio on my arm days, so maybe that's how I avoided kissing the floor. Haha
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

I squat 155 dead 175 and leg press 360 then run a couple miles some days. I love it. but Im a glutton for punishment. The science of what meta said is absolutely accurate, however. But, people do what suits them.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

I squat 155 dead 175 and leg press 360 then run a couple miles some days. I love it. but Im a glutton for punishment. The science of what meta said is absolutely accurate, however. But, people do what suits them.

I was being practical.
    You know your have had an intense work out or as you would say punishment when you work out this hard. Busted the veins in my eyes on leg day. Cardio first for me is just my way for how I work out for the reasons I posted above. It can be different for others that doesn't bother me. What ever works best for ya.
    9755412_6883.jpg