Squats all the way down?

Options
I've been doing "deep squats" at the gym where I go all the way down until my butt almost hits the ground. I had an anesthesiologist come up to me at the gym yesterday and tell me never to go down farther than 90 degrees because of risk of injury and nothing more is done after 90 degrees anyways.

Is there any truth to this? I kind of feel stupid if I've been doing it wrong this whole time. I just thought deep squats were better for my gluteal muscles

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on squats and I'm sure some experts will chime in but I wanted to say being an anesthesiologist does not make one an expert on squats either.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I don't go as low as you (mainly because I can't), but I'd say I go a little past 90 degrees.

How did that conversation go?!

"Hi there, I'm an anesthesiologist and I've been watching you from across the way...I've got to tell you your dips are too low."

WTF, people should worry about their own workouts.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am no expert either, but anything I have ever read and my personal trainor has me going into a seated position, which is a 90 degree angle, so that is how I have always done it. However I don't entirely see how going any further than that can not be beneficial. because the further you go the more work it is taking you to get to the standing position. And i agree with the poster that said and anastegioligist (sp) has no kind of credentials to be stating something like that.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to an anesthesiologist about body mechanics. Sorry, I'm sure the guy is intelligent, but like every other expert out there, he runs the risk of working out of his expertise. If you are having knee pain from deep squats, then stop. If you are not, then keep it up. They're great for your glutes.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's concerned about gas...:tongue:
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's concerned about gas...:tongue:

I'm willing to bet the booty was going too low for him to creep.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    *kitten* 2 Grass if you can . the more post parallel you go, the more you work your glutes and hams.
    as long as you have the flexibility and mobility to do it then keep doing it
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to an anesthesiologist about body mechanics. Sorry, I'm sure the guy is intelligent, but like every other expert out there, he runs the risk of working out of his expertise. If you are having knee pain from deep squats, then stop. If you are not, then keep it up. They're great for your glutes.

yup.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I can't do deep squats because of previous knee injuries and going past a certain point my knee locks up and I can't get back up, but I think if you are doing them correctly and have no pain keep doing them!
  • ricklperry
    Options
    i'm not an expert but from human anatomy he is probably referring to the extra strain on the tendons around the knee. If you're lifting properly and no with excessive weight the tendons should be fine. improper lifting or sudden bursts of excessive weight might tear the tendon.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    an anesthesiologist

</thread>

keep it up. your *kitten* will thank you...and so will we. :flowerforyou:
    (sorry, just got out of the how to flirt on MFP thread, so im testing the waters)
  • VictoriaFL84
    Options
    thanks everyone.. it's a hard workout for sure but I keep good form, I have no pain, and I have a spotter for the though last few reps. I want to keep doing them if I can
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    *kitten* 2 Grass if you can . the more post parallel you go, the more you work your glutes and hams.
    as long as you have the flexibility and mobility to do it then keep doing it
    ^yup
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options

yup.

Anesthesiology is one of the hardest medical professions to get into. I think he just might be considered an expert on the human body since he has several years of medical school. His profession requires him to be in tune with the human body.

I'm not saying he is right or not on squats but I don't think I would dismiss him because he is "just an anesthesiologist"
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options

This^^. If you are feeling pain, then maybe don't go as deep. But if you feel fine, than keep it up. Every expert has their own personal opinion. That's why no one can agree on anything lol. Just listen to your body :)
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If your knees will take it you want your hip joint to break the plane of your knee joint, if not you at least want your hip joint to go parallel with your knee joint.
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    My trainer has me go to 90 but then again he has to be worried about me injuring myself and I have horrible balance. I think it is 90 is safe and after that you get the benefits but risk injury.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

yup.

Anesthesiology is one of the hardest medical professions to get into. I think he just might be considered an expert on the human body since he has several years of medical school. His profession requires him to be in tune with the human body.

I'm not saying he is right or not on squats but I don't think I would dismiss him because he is "just an anesthesiologist"

I don't think anyone's knocking his credibility as an anesthesiologist. They get paid a lot for their abilities, and they also have to deal with the worst malpractice suits. However, when it comes to working muscles, he is probably not going to be the best expert out there, that's all. As with any random stranger you meet at the gym, words of advice need to be taken politely, but always with a grain of salt. Or a handful.