Squats all the way down?

Options

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    going lower gives more activation of glutes and hamstrings.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everything I have been told is to watch your knees in these types of exercises to prevent injury. I would say you are probably straining your knees both on the way down and up if you go beyond 90 degress. Those knee ligaments are very sensitive to that motion and could lead to long term damage. I suggest slightly tilt your toes outward and make sure you get your knees over your toes, that should be proper form for a perfect workout. Hope this helps!
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    It is hard on the knees to go all the way down. My trainer only had me go at 90 degrees. If you are able to go down that low, I have to wonder if you don't need more weights, bc it is too easy for you. My trainer had my weights so heavy, I couldn't go past 90 degrees. I believe this is what is appropriate. I think the fact that you know this man's profession is irrelevant. He is probably just a man who knows something about working out and wanted to help you.

All the videos I have at home say to never go past 90 degrees bc it puts stress on the knees, Jillian Michaels is one, P90X guy is another, Denise Austin a third. All my instructors in classes at the gym is another that says that. Proper form is VERY important. You have to wonder if you lose momentum when you go that low. You get results when you are stressing the right muscles.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    He's wrong and should really mind his own business at the gym. I can't stand unsolicited advice when I'm working out!

I think you should squat as deeply as you can without feeling pain. Deep ATG squats have only been good for me--I've had knee trouble on my left side all my life, but ATG squats don't hurt at all, and I believe they're actually helping with strengthening and such.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    thank you for asking this question and thank you for the answers :flowerforyou:

I do *ss to grass squats, and I recently heard this from someone, and it was on my list of things to do to find out if it was true (in the meantime I continued squatting *ss to grass. Nice to know that there's no reason not to.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've been doing "deep squats" at the gym where I go all the way down until my butt almost hits the ground. I had an anesthesiologist come up to me at the gym yesterday and tell me never to go down farther than 90 degrees because of risk of injury and nothing more is done after 90 degrees anyways.

Is there any truth to this? I kind of feel stupid if I've been doing it wrong this whole time. I just thought deep squats were better for my gluteal muscles

The lower I go the more my *kitten* hurts the next day. So it must work the glutes. Usually people say don't go that low cuz they're jealous that you can and they can't.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how deep you squat. What matters is your form. When your knees go over your toes or farther forward, you risk injury. As long as your knees are over your heels, you're probably okay. It gets harder to maintain that correct form when you go deeper than 90 degree bend, but it's still possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

Funny...just the other day I was noticing that my toddler had perfect form without even trying. I actually ran and got my wife to show her as he was just squatting and playing with something. Then he pushed up and ran over to grab one of his tonka trucks...guess what? Perfect dead-lift form as well. It was awesome. I wonder where we all eventually go wrong and develop bad form since it's obviously so very natural.

I personally am not flexible enough to go much past parallel though.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Drop it like it's hot!
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    going lower takes pressure OFF of the knees and helps to insure strength balance between quads and hamstrings which also helps prevent knee injury.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

Funny...just the other day I was noticing that my toddler had perfect form without even trying. I actually ran and got my wife to show her as he was just squatting and playing with something. Then he pushed up and ran over to grab one of his tonka trucks...guess what? Perfect dead-lift form as well. It was awesome. I wonder where we all eventually go wrong and develop bad form since it's obviously so very natural.

I think being too sedentary weakens the legs, then you can't do those movements correctly because you lack strength. Also, social conditioning affects people, I'm not sure about boys/men, but plenty of women are conditioned into being more "dainty" and "feminine" in how they move... the correct form for squats and deadlifts is not dainty or feminine (by conventional standards of feminine, which I, personally, don't subscribe to, but it's what people get conditioned into being like)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

Exactly.

This is true -- but look closely. The knees are OUT (not straight in front, knee over ankle, like we're sometimes told to do). That's also why primitive people who eat, work, and relax in this position have NO knee or back issues like we do.

BUT, If you squat deep, you have to get the knees out.

The problem is that most fitness instructors are taught that knees must stay straight, and CANNOT go past the toes. You even get points off in certifications for anything different from this. And yes, if you try to go below 90 degrees with the knees straight ahead, it's a LOT of pressure on the knees, and the risk of injury goes WAY WAY up.

HOWEVER, squatting with the knees APART is much much safer. (But they never teach you this in traditional trainings). This is how weightlifters squat with a lot of weight on their bodies, and there is actually a lot LESS pressure on the knees as you go deep. The most pressure is exerted (if I remember correctly) at the bottom of the squat, but just for a second. The rest of the time pressure is evenly distributed through your legs, making it SAFER.

Hope this helps!
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We all go wrong from sitting around all day shortening our hams and calves. Don't let your babies use chairs; they'll thank you when they're 80. ;)

If your form is good, keep it up - but as you increase weight, keeping your knees plumb over your ankles becomes more important (well, I guess all aspects of the form become more important). If you track forward a lot, even if you don't go past your toes, maybe practice not doing that as much before you start hauling up 300 pound weights.

She said, pretending to be an expert.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have actually looked into this because I had knee surgery, an ACL repair, this year. I read everything I could. It seems that there is no great harmful stress placed on the knees from squatting, generally. It is what they are designed to do -- to bend, that is. In fact, the further down you go the more your ACL, at least, is protected because your hams and your glutes fire and come into play, and hold the knee joints together in the places they are supposed to be held.
    At least, according to the research, your anesthesiologist is wrong.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    He is right. The 90 degrees is the classic yoga 'chair' pose which really works out all the muscles involved, upper/lower belly, sides, thighs, calves. Going lower doesn't really help, except perhaps as cardio. I would say give both a trial and whichever works the largest group of muscles, go for it.

I believe this is wrong too: Going lower does help. You engage your glutes and hams more once you get down below 90, and that is a good thing. When you squat, you are supposed to go "into the hole." It makes for a much better exercise.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    90 degrees is actually the point of least tension, between flex and extension. The full range of motion (loaded or not) would be all the way up and all the way down. Of course, caution is important not to overload your joints. Ask a physical therapist their thoughts if you want someone who understand biomechanics and can help.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how deep you squat. What matters is your form. When your knees go over your toes or farther forward, you risk injury. As long as your knees are over your heels, you're probably okay. It gets harder to maintain that correct form when you go deeper than 90 degree bend, but it's still possible.

This is not true. Look at children when they squat down, we all would have blown our knees out before six years old.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRt8RlXYNRvnWHknFHWpIXzkqgG6-IK0wqy3i5CZUGUfeybUKrN_Q

Edit: I did not see that someone else had covered this point.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This is not true. Look at children when they squat down, we all would have blown our knees out before six years old.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRt8RlXYNRvnWHknFHWpIXzkqgG6-IK0wqy3i5CZUGUfeybUKrN_Q

Edit: I did not see that someone else had covered this point.

Agreed. Not only is keeping your knees over your heels wrong, it's also physically impossible. Try it right now with no weight. If you keep your knees over your ankles, you will fall over backwards at about 5 degrees of knee bend.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I've always done squats ATG, which feels to me the most natural way to do them. I just, for an experiment, tried doing bodyweight squats only to 90 degrees. And it hurt my knees. Not bad pain, just a twinge, but enough to make me want to stick to ATG squats which feel totally comfortable and natural.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    IIRC for an Olympic squat to count you must go past parallel. Power lifters stop at 90˚

I could be wrong on that. Maybe someone else can chime in on that point?