Why not give up certain foods or food groups?

Options
13»

Replies

• joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    i think you doing the right thing.!
    If you think you dont want dairy...why on earth should u eat it? or wheat?
    do whatever You think is right, its your body! As long as you eat healthy , feel great and look great....YOU ARE DOING A RIGHT THING!

Amen!

Agree!
  • joleenl
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with giving up certain types of food to see if you feel better. I have been off dairy for the past few weeks (as recommended by a nutritionist) to see if that is what is causing the excess mucus I always seem to have. If that isn't it, I'll try cutting out something else. Most vegetarians I know chose to give up meat/dairy simply because they chose to, not because of any dietary restrictions. I say if it works for you, what's the problem?

Exactly my point. It seems to irk a lot of people on here though for some strange reason.

Yup, some people have a very big problem with the choice of other people to give up certain foods. One doesn't have to wait to be diagnosed with celiac, PCOS, diabetes, sensitivities/intolerances, etc, to be justified in deciding to eliminate problematic foods; though other members will say just that. Prevention is much more effective than treating symptoms later and trying to repair damage already done.

There are many foods that are not at all required for survival and imo, many "foods' that are not even food; ie they are detrimental to our health. So, maybe you should find forums where likeminded people will support your choice? I've found a few and all of my "friends" have more or less the same lifestyle and philosophies. It's great to be supported and to be asked for support, rather than be attacked and ridiculed.

Sound advice. Thank you!
  • joleenl
    Options
    It is about science if you cut something from your diet long term your body stops producing the hormones needed to break down that food. So you have to stay off for life or you WILL gain weight when you start consuming it again. This is why giving up food groups like dairy, fats and carbs can be bad. And for some cause yo-yo dieting.

You refer to "science" and then make a very strange comment indeed. No one can give up "fat" or they would die. Due to the bs low fat craze (supposedly based on science, but NOT actually based on science because the studies did not prove that natural, healthy fats caused any illness at all), people are eating less overall fat, much less natural saturated fat, but with the addition of large amounts of highly processed polyunsaturated fats, never before seen in the human diet. I don't need "science" (or the government or the food industry) to know that if there's a problem with fat, it's probably not from the kinds that humans have been eating for a million years or so.

But yes, one can give up dairy, with ZERO negative effects, and probably many positive effects. One can come close to giving up carbs as well, though I don't see the need to when they come from vegetables. (There are aboriginal societies who did quite well with almost zero carbs in their diet; the Inuit for one.)

Yup, totally right that returning to the diet that made one sick and fat, will have the same effect all over again.

Thanks for this ^^
  • joleenl
    Options
    I no longer eat wheat or dairy. I here all over these forums that if you don't have an allergy you shouldn't give certain foods up, why is that?

It's generally, "if you don't have an allergy or medical condition you don't NEED to give up certain foods" for the purpose of losing weight, not "you SHOULDN'T. That context is very important. Usually this advise is given to someone struggling and someone who is being overly restrictive with their diet.

If you can and want to give something up, that's fine...but for many, giving up certain food and food groups ultimately spells failure down the road because it's an unrealistic life style for them. So some of us like to point out that you don't HAVE to give up anything to lose weight.

It is about context. I agree you don't have to give up anything to lose weight. Just watch your calories and exercise. I never quit to lose weight. I quit because I feel better. I'm living proof, that giving up things will not help you lose more wieght - a lot of mfp friends eat dairy and wheat and have lost the same amount or in some cases more weight then me.

Thanks for your response. I whole heartly agree with your statement.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    because
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can honestly say that I will not be giving up aaaaaaaanything lol ;)